Home

Rosh Penin's struggle *SPOILERS*

Gen. PhyL

Rosh's struggle: not an easy one for JA players.

Rosh was a fun character, at least I thought. He was a comic relief as well as a good example of someone who may be seduced to the darkside of the Force.

Sure, Rosh was over active at times, and careless, but it's a lot more realistic than having every single Jedi being this very serious, stern person. Rosh displayed more happy, fun emotion than Jaden did (at least the guy version...I'm not familiar with the female versoin yet).

Rosh was fun to beat up on at Vjun, but in the end, I found it in my heart of a Jedi to spare him his life for his wrong mistake.

We all make mistakes....

Rosh made a bad choice by passing on to the darkside...just like Vader. But in the end they were both salvaged, and saw the light. They both made errors, and both were saved in the end.

Let Rosh breathe a little. He's only a guy trying to live the life of a Jedi. He's got it tough. The life of a Jedi isn't easy. Jaden doesnt really seem to like him...Alora and Tavion filled his head with darkside atrocities...he acts more like Anakin Skywalker at times. He's just a confused kid who needs a true friend.

Just take this into consideration. I'm not trying to force you to like him, but that's just my view of Rosh Penin's struggle. Please dont bash my opinion...I dont wanna start any "aggressive negotiating" ;)

Originally posted by SamFisher

I spared him too, he's cool.

I never regretted gutting him with an FBS. I feel he was one of the more annoying characters ever introduced.

I think the "beware the Dark Side" lesson could have been more dramatically conveyed with cutscenes of discussion between Kyle and Jaden. I mean, seriously, Kyle nudges you through one level and then he's just going along to babysit you. There's no reason to worry about something trivial like falling to the dark side when you're basically out teaching yourself. I mean, Kyle did it right? :x

Well, I think the dark side decision point could have been done better. Why would you fight your way into this huge complex to kill an unarmed man without being provoked?

But then again, the whole "getting turned to the dark side" thing hasn't been defined very well in Star Wars lore yet. Sure, there's some EU stuff about it but we've never seen someone get turned to the dark side on screen yet. Go Episode 3! :D

Well, for one thing, what Lucas did with making the audience feel sympathy for Vader was an atrocity and at the same time brilliant feat. If you know his story, you will know he's responsible for killing millions of people across the galaxy in his time, including MANY of the Jedi Order. Yet, we disregard all of that and focus on the small ounce of humanity left in him at his death. It's simply brilliant in that context, but most people don't get to see it in that light.

Rosh Penin was akin to Jar Jar Binks, without the stupid accent. My opinion is they picked poor voice talent and bad writing on his part. The guy's voice was just a little irratating to listen to. Nevertheless, I spared him also, since I'm usually of the good side of things, not the dark.

I personally had no problem impaling Rosh. He was in my way to getting the scepter, so that is enough provocation right there. Even Tavion was in my way, so I decapitated her. And I will do the same to Kyle if an expansion is ever made:D All these people getting in my way. Wont they ever learn.

Rosh was one of the aspects of JA I liked, IMO they made him just as he needed to be. He is annoying, weak and wimpish - a perfect candidate for the player to hate, and then you are given the chance to kill him and end the irritation. Most players want to kill him but many find it in themselves to forgive this exasperating collection of polygons and so they end up on the light side. You have to act like a Jedi and overcome your feeling of hate.

Either that or they really want to see the 'good' ending! :D

On the other hand cutting Rosh down is quite satisfying because he is so annoying. If he were a bland or likeable character you wouldn't get a small thrill of enjoyment as you disembowel him.

This was the one place in the game where you had to act like a Jedi to be a Jedi.

The whole dark/light choice was badly done but Rosh was done well.

I think there was some deliberateness to Rosh being so annoying. Right form the word go, when he set that robot on you you he gets on your nerves... His characterisation definitely made it easy for me to explore the dark side option first , an otherwise goody-2-shoes SWEU fan ... :)

It did remind me of JKI, when you had that great ending of dark/ emperor kyle... Although it would be nice for some type of follow up to the JA story, I hate getting my hopes up. Maybe some very talented mappers/modders can do something if Raven decides not to.....that would be nice

MTFBWYA

Originally posted by Rastazan

My opinion is they picked poor voice talent and bad writing on his part. The guy's voice was just a little irratating to listen to.

Like others, I disagree. No character can be that irritating by accident.

My complaint is that the voice talent and writing worked TOO well. It was perfect.

I could live with the annoyance if Rosh would cover my back. Right from the get-go, he provoked the howlers and endangered me as much as anything with that pistol. Then he sends me along into a fight with two storm toopers that turns into a dark jedi ambush, and never fires a shot. What, did he empty his clip against the howlers?

Then I go on alone and he isn't even around when I get knocked unconscious. And what's up with that? Why didn't the three dark jedi kill me instead of leaving me lying there?

Rosh was on the dark side payroll from the get-go. If there's a sequel, I still won't trust him.

Archived