Home

Strats for heavy stance...

ChineseJedi

Ok I was dueling some guy... [sIN] Ganroth was his name if I am not mistaken. I was using a singlesaber heavy stance and he was using a staff. I was using my customary strategy for heavy. Starting the swing moments before running into range and then quickly withdrawing. This guy, who claims to be in the "largest clan in JK" starts complaining that all I do is "wait". So a few rounds pass... I beat him a couple times, he beats me acouple times. He starts to be an ass and starts critizing my strategy. "Look at him, he just swings and runs away." was what he said if I'm not mistaken. Next time we duel I do as before and I'm winning. He then starts to bitch about it again. Then I stop to say something in my defence and as I am typing he proceeds to kill me. I'm thinking WTF what is your problem.

It is common knowledge that that is how you play heavy. Heavy's defence sux so u have to stay out of reach of your opponent. So I don't know what this guy who is in "the largest clan in JK" is talking about. If he is in a clan he should know at least this.

Anyhow that is the story, your thoughts?

There are a lot of people who wear 'tags' that don't belong to any clan. Go ahead and poke around for the [sIN] clan...a quick web search would determine the truth. If they really are one of the biggest clans they'll certainly have something grotesque that passes for a website.

As far as whether or not his mocking you is justified...well...that depends on how well HE can handle the heavy stance saber. Go ahead and challenge him to fight you with it, while you use the saberstaff. Even the most rudimentary player can be a threat with a saberstaff. They just have to know the butterfly and how to turn their direction towards the enemy.

If he can handle the heavy saber and win without employing the hit and run strategy, then he may have a point. If not...well...he can stfu. ;)

Sin is a large gaming organization from many games, mostly MMORPG's that I knew of. Etherway they are nobodies, they are so large that their members dont' know each other and in many cases people just claim to be apart. Ignore them if they are a clan, clans are meaningless. Clans don't make you more skilled.

I get this alot as well. "All you do is run". Well duh, if your using single saber you pick your shots and look for openings, you dont' charge and swing madly like staffers and dual users. If they have a problem with it let them whine, and beat em again.

Just because im excited, I actually got a kill with light stance last night! For some reason it gave me dual sabers when it clearly said 1 saber was selected. Rather then using both I just used the dual light stance. I did some really cool jump, land, uppercuts to do some damage. I felt like yoda bouncing around but it turned out effective....I may have to practice more.

Downside is with light stance uppercut is the only real way to deal damage. You could do normal attacks but ever other stance will bust through and deal you damage. I didn't have the kata cause I had duals.

LOL, SIN Acrobat is about the only sin guy I know, and hes a pretty decent guy, other than that I really dont know of anyone else. Anyway, if you use a single saber in JA against people using staff or duel sabs, I think you can use any saber tactics you want (maybe with the exception of lunge whoring). It very difficult win if a guy knows what he is doing with a staff or duels sabs. If you can beat him, he deservers to lose because most often the single bladed guy will get the shaft. If you were only swinging once, instead of 2 or 3 times in a row, before getting out of the way, that can get a tad bit annoying but not anything to get pissed over. Now, if you would swing and then run all the way across the map, thats something to get pissed about, i hate chasing people who run off. But that doesn't sound like what you were doing so my advice is to tell him to shove it.

Well, I personally, find hit and run annoying...I like the drawn out, hit/block/parry fighting...in fact, I usually stay pretty still while attacking...unless my opponent is running all over creation...in which case I sit down and wait till he gets tired of it :p

Besides, a half step to the side takes you just out of range of an overhead heavy swipe and puts you in perfect position to slap your opponent on the noggin :D

However, I'm far from a pro at MP...so I may just be playing against suckier people

Ya, if you stood still for me when I come at you with red I would really like that :D Most guys who are good with red can swing three times with red very quickly, weather it be a side swing, an overhead, or my personally favorite, the uppercut, but uppercut is most useful when your oppent is coming towards you and must be timed right or youll winde up in a lot of hurt. Basically if you stand still, the first red swing will knock you off balance, which means your blocking ability is squat, second swing will proabably hurt, third swing will either hurt again or if you have recovered, it will knock you off balance again, preventing you from successfully counter attacking. If you happen to press attack during the third swing, theyll probably get another swing (aka an offensive parry) which will hurt, and if you really mess up, but this is rare, they can get another offensive parry. Thats a possibility of 5 really fast and powerful swings that can leave you in a load of hurt. Moral of the story, don't stand still against a guy who knows how to use red. Unless of course its me :D

The biggest problem with heavy stance (and makes it EASY to avoid) is telegraphing of moves...

v. tel·e·graphed, tel·e·graph·ing, tel·e·graphs

v. tr.

1. To transmit (a message) by telegraph.

2. To send or convey a message to (a recipient) by telegraph.

1. To make known (a feeling or an attitude, for example) by nonverbal means: telegraphed her derision with a smirk.

2. To make known (an intended action, for example) in advance or unintentionally: By massing troops on the border, the enemy telegraphed its intended invasion to the target country.

Originally posted by ChineseJedi

People have to realzie that heavy is not a stance where u can just spam random attacks. You have to calculatate each swing you do or u will wind up dead.

So true. If someone can win almost all the time with a single saber they got my respect, unless they fight like a panzy and all they do is jump a mile up in the air come back down next to you while doing a red roundhouse, and then jump up in the air and do it again, and again, and again. Fight me on the ground you friggin cowards!

yes it seems that noobs do just use red stance with single saber and only do the same swing move over and over while running back and tend 2 only run to the right....i have a strategy against this its really simple..you suck them in and track how many times they are swinging red in a row, they can do up 2 three...after you know how noobish and consistent they are with same move you can run in and pick away at them after they are done swinging...takes a little time picking away with little moves...but gets me the win every time ...btw i use dual!

Originally posted by CK_GriM_ReapeR

yes it seems that noobs do just use red stance with single saber and only do the same swing move over and over while running back and tend 2 only run to the right....i have a strategy against this its really simple..you suck them in and track how many times they are swinging red in a row, they can do up 2 three...after you know how noobish and consistent they are with same move you can run in and pick away at them after they are done swinging...takes a little time picking away with little moves...but gets me the win every time ...btw i use dual!

indeed

Everybody has their own personal preferences and playing style.

The fact that you walk away from a server the winner and you didn't cheat only shows you displayed more skill than the other guy (or he was too distracted to get his head in the game, which is his fault, not your's).

So take pride in your accomplishment in the game and have fun, don't let a few whiners get you down, and keep practicing what makes you a better player!

• 2 weeks later...

i disagree, but thats just preference.

the litte flick upwards at the end of a horizontal red slash has denied me many a kill, though... sigh!

oh yeah, all you single users: if you walk while in blue you can lunge really quickly... good for taking out peoplewho just hold down attack and move.

anyways...

Archived