Home

Played with SABER? or GUNS? *watchout for spoilers*

Tidus01

While playing JEDI ACADEMY, did you ppl play with guns along with the saber or just with guns or vice-versa.

I, personally, only played with three weapons:

Lightsaber (obviously)

Concussuin Gun ( to take out the guy that HAD the concussion guns )

And the sniper ( Before I enter a large area I snipe out a couple of people ( ussually the stormtroopers and guys like them that have guns ) , then I can enter the area with a lightsaber and hack away at remaining ppl while not being shot from behind and the sides.

So, what did you people play with?

I largely used the saber, but I did mix it up with some gun action where appropriate. I'm a sniper-type too, so I chose the Disruptor for nearly all the missions. Then to add some variety, I'd sometimes pick the Bowcaster, other times the Conc, and the Heavy Repeater (mostly for the secondary fire). The E-11 was next to useless, and I hardly used it throughout the entire game. I only used TD's a few times as well.

To be frank - they might just as well have imposed the weapon-loadout limitation within the levels themselves, and made you drop a weapon to pick up another. The emphasis was placed firmly on saber combat, so not many guns were really needed...

I use DEMP against droids, and the tenloss sniper rifle against unreachable enemies. I also like to carry detpacks. It's funto turn on force-speed, rush in, drop a det-pack at the feet of a group of stormies, then run off as you blow them up. Haha!

I use the Concussion Rifle in a few specific spots (i.e. Chandrilla) to take out Reborn from a distance.

Actually, it's not that you "didn't have to use" your saber on that mission. You couldn't use it, since it wasn't with you.

There is, however, another mission where the use of the saber is completely unnecessary. I'm talking about the giant sandworm level. There are no enemies on that entire level, and you can't kill the sandworm with your saber. So, technically, you didn't have to use your saber at all in that level.

In that level I didn't fire a single shot either... It was just one big jump puzzle, with a little help from force speed ;)

I used the concussion rifle against some armored enemies and sometimes to kill groups of enemies, just for fun. I used some thermal detonators and sometimes the E11 or DL44 for shooting tripmines.

I used the sniper rifle maybe 2 times, the lack of a level like ns_streets in JO made this gun useless... I never used the bowcaster, rocketlauncher or flechette :)

The lightsaber is a Jedi's weapon, so that's what I used most :D

In MP I use whatever weapon is best in the situation (or the most fun at the time, heh).

In SP it's the same way. So far I've had to rely on the saber more (for defense and quick kills) but I use whatever weapons are the best in the situation.

I find that usually (again SP here) the Disruptor gets used a lot (sniping, and scoping out far off areas), alongside the Thermal Detonators (very useful for bouncing around corners or getting an instant hit that's harder for enemy force users to push away). For guns I usually chose the ST Rifle, although I honestly don't use it as much as the saber and the others. I've rarely needed to use the BlasTech (for a charged shot).

In MP I use everything, about the only guns that barely get used are the BlasTech and the Bowcastor. In JK2 I more or less shunned the DEMP2, but now in JA I find myself using it more and more (and in Siege you almost have to).

I used the sniper rifle maybe 2 times, the lack of a level like ns_streets in JO made this gun useless... I never used the bowcaster, rocketlauncher or flechette

You obviously haven't been playing much Siege then... ; )

I used the sniper rifle mainly. If you count mindtricked enemies shooting each other than I actually used guns a good deal.

In siege guns are required seeing as how Jedi suck...

So I end up using the DL-44 and DEMP alot since I'm a tech. In other modes I use the saber although I like the Tenloss in CTF alot.

I always carry a sniper rifle. A big part of the reason is for the telescope.

I've scoped out the situation many times before wading in, even without firing a shot . Also, sniping is great for taking out "regular" opponents who would be shooting at me during a saber fight with a dark jedi. Force sense is comparatively short-ranged, but can be useful in locating opponents to gun down.

I started out using a saber all the time, but changed. On the tram level, for instance, the lowly pistol is excellent. For some reason, a charged-up pistol doesn't seem to suffer as much from "shaking" as the sniper rifle.

I've used the pistol to provoke dark jedi into leaving some good position they're in and attacking me, for removing mines. blowing up explosive crates, etc. Saber throws can do a lot of that, though, and don't require ammo.

I carry an electro-magnetic pulse gun until I pick up a concussion rifle. They're just the thing for assassin droids and some other robots. Better to have one and not need it than need it and not have it. I'd use those weapons much more if it wasn't for the effectiveness of mind-trick on "super troopers." I mind trick them, pull them closer with force pull if necessary and chop them to bits with the saber.

I hardly ever used grenades in Outcast. Now the combination of force sense and grenades has proved to be pretty potent. For instance, suppose I'm on top of a crate and can "sense" three storm troopers below me. I'll pull out a grenade, use instant-detonate and blast them all before they have a chance to move.

The best place to use a sniper rifle, though, is outdoors on Hoth.

Believe it or not.

Charging in with your saber blazing is effective enough and a lot quicker on Hoth, but I prefer to never give a sucker a fighting chance. The crosshairs turn red when you sweep in front of you and cross an enemy. Sometimes, you see nothing but snowy fog when you zoom in. However, if you take a few steps closer and try again, the trooper looms into view at near-maximum magnification. You can see him. He can't see you.

One quick head shot and he's done. You still have to use other methods on other targets, but most of the troopers outdoors have no chance.

When your shot draws fire on Hoth, move sideways a little. They can't see you. I can't prove it, but I believe that moving around without a fired-up lightsaber in your hand makes you harder to see on Hoth.

The old blaster rifle is still pretty good for taking out small attack droids, and nothing beats the alt-fire repeater for reaching trip mines in hard-to-reach places.

Just about the only weapon I never used much in either Outcast or Academy is the trip mine. I rarely use the flechette, either, but even that's pretty handy in the level where you're escaping and it's one of the first weapons you get.

I used the wookie bowcaster all the time on Outcast, but never use it now.

Archived