Home

The Harbour VS Life and how to live it , A Q&A Thread

Darth Groovy

i never complained about anything...i just came here and asked about the name change, and i guess it just happened to be before a mod got here to explain it or something. the only reason(s) i didn't wait was because:

1) i found it to be really weird and had to say something

2) the thought of someone coming to explain it of their own free will didn't cross my mind

3) even if i did think of that, it would've seemed completely absurd to me and i would've posted anyway.

as you can see, it was a lose-lose situation (?) either way. ...?

and even though people may have "hated" you for closing a thread, nobody's hating anybody now...we're just wondering. and the only thing that anybody that might have a clue about it has said was: "stop complaining", "who cares?" and/or "it's just a name change", "put it into perspective", "it doesn't matter", etc.

i don't know why nobody can just give an answer instead of dodging around the subject. and i think the only reason anybody is trying to divert our attention away from the topic is because nobody really had a reason for changing it to begin with.

... all this over a forum name change. Days and days of posts, spanning over multiple pages.

It really is sad.

what do you mean "all this"? it's not like any of us are blowing our heads off about this, we just want to know why...it's not that sad. what's sad is that you really felt the urge to come in here and make a post giving us information that was already obvious :dozey:

anyway...i'm just waiting for an answer as to why the name change even occured in the first place.

btw- rayjones, nice sig....

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
... all this over a forum name change.

"All this" meaning I spent 3 minutes typing at full speed requesting an answer to a question.

and even though people may have "hated" you for closing a thread, nobody's hating anybody now...we're just wondering. and the only thing that anybody that might have a clue about it has said was: "stop complaining", "who cares?" and/or "it's just a name change", "put it into perspective", "it doesn't matter", etc.

Hear Hear.

And I KNOW that a person that has the Monkey Island discussion in mind enough to change a name has scrolled across this page at least once, looked at the question, and (evidentially) said "Eh. They don't need to know." This is another reason why I keep asking my question. It makes me curious.

If someone comes up and says

"I did it. I was bored, and thought it would be fun" I would reply with...

"M'kay."

No anger. Nothing of the sort. Just a 16 year old curious boy with enlightment on his mind.

With Love,

Ernil

No hard feelings Neil,.. but anyone who has even been casually following the recent history in and around the MI Discussion boards should have been able to predict the general reaction from the regulars concerning a forum name change with no warning/ explanation.

Originally posted by Neil Joshi

Fine, you want a clear and concise answer to why we changed the name?

Fine

Because we wanted to. That's it, no hidden agender or deeper meaning. We just changed it.

so you decided to change the name because you just want to..

okay..

but.. (:D) .. what's the idea behind the new name..? ..or is it because you just wanted to get rid of the old name, wrote down a few (internal) suggestions and then gave polly a cookie and order to PICK on of those.. ;) i mean this would be cool and if polly really was involved we would have our MI connect and the name would be totally acceptable just because of that!!

brraaaak!

:)

Originally posted by edlib

No hard feelings Neil,.. but anyone who has even been casually following the recent history in and around the MI Discussion boards should have been able to predict the general reaction from the regulars concerning a forum name change with no warning/ explanation.

Either you're suggesting that I hane not followed the recent history of the mi discussions, which is ridiculouse because I have eben a big part of it, or you are suggesting that I am foolish for changing the name because of the recent history.

Firstly, I would like to say that this is rich coming from someone who clearly has even read the previosu posts in this thread let alone a lot of the recent history of this place otherwise you would hyave rephrased you post a hell of a lot.

Secondly, I would like to point out that this entire discussion is somewhat of an enigma to me as to how it turned into this considering it started out as a thread to choose a name, hence community involvement. This suddenly turned into a huge argument about why it was changed in the first place. Please note, unless four men on horses come around the corner with flames and war cries, I'm pretty certain that nothing too drastic has happened here. I seem to notice that a few regulars around here have been trying to keep this thread going on the right track. Others, simply haven't, and turned it into this.

You said that no warning or explanation was issued here. I already exaplined why there was no explanation, but, hey ho, some people coundn't wait to start talking about it. What am I to do, come along and say 'Hey, by the way, we changed the name of the harbor' in the thread already expressing that, created by another forum member. Basically, Moles thread wasn't even a complaint, if anything, it was simply stating the fact that the name had changed. You were'nt told by some mod like me, you were told by Mole. Not much of a difference really.

Thirdly. I see nothing wrong with Life and How to Live it. No seriously, what's it meant to suggest? How is it bad? So it's not youre perfect choice for a forum name, especially in the monkey island discussions forum. fine, we appreciate that. how about a thread asking everyone what they would like- oh, no wait, we already tried that now didn't we? What would you suggest then?

LEMON HEAD! I remember you! Hiya.

Ok I seriously liked the name, Years of friend history under "The Harbor" erased by a click of a button.

And to whomever saud it induces bad spelling. "harbor" is correct in America.

They could rename it "The Harbour" that be cool.

Either you're suggesting that I hane not followed the recent history of the mi discussions, which is ridiculouse because I have eben a big part of it, or you are suggesting that I am foolish for changing the name because of the recent history.

No, I'm suggesting that the reaction over the sudden, unexpected name change really should have been fairly predictable knowing all the recent events, and that if you had just come out and said something like "Because we wanted to. That's it, no hidden agender or deeper meaning. We just changed it." a couple of days ago when it was first noticed in a thread it could have avoided a lot of confusion on everybody's part. Heck, just saying "We felt it was time for a change!" would have been enough. But the longer you waited to say anything, the louder the grumbling became, and the more people (myself included) began to read into the timing of the change and read meaning into the name chosen.

I was not aware a pre-existing drive by anyone to remove the "Harbor" name, so when it was changed I immediately suspected there was an important reason why somebody would want it done. I'm perfectly willing to accept "We wanted to clear the air and get a fresh, new start" as a perfectly valid reason,.. I just wish somebody had bothered to make it clearer, earlier.

But the longer you sit on it, the more people are going to read into it.

You also could have posted something like "Hey! There's a big change coming, and you'll know it when you see it! Stay tuned! ;) " a couple of days ahead might have alleviated some of the shock when it came.

Something that was fully intended right up until someone came along and decided to complain about it. Seriously, we simply didn't have time; it went straight from name change to complaint with hardly an hours notice. And please note a certain member may have seen the name change before the mods knew it had been don’t because it was the admins who did it. And this certain member may have decided that with no explanation present in the time of change to when the certain member logged on, we must be messing with you.

Now, we kind of see no point in an explanation, you all seem to be content in the fact that we did it to annoy you, so we'll just go with that now shall we?.

All the more reason to try to communicate your intent as soon as possible. Why does it really seem like so much effort to explain something as simple as a name change to someone who might be reading more into it than you ever intended?

I really think everyone here are fairly reasonable people, and I personally wish to apologize for jumping to any conclusions.

But we all still have a lot of work to do on that "communication" thing.

Archived