Home

Anyone agree with me? (about single sabers)

Shenku_Risato

No, I'm not going to start talking about how a patch should fix the single saber damage. I'm going to start talking about how single saber SHOULD be harder to use, does anyone else not want to see a change in the saber styles in the patch? For the record, single saber is the ONLY saber I use. I love it too because it's a good challenge and if you win, you have bragging rights LIKE YOU SHOULD.

I agree. It should be harder to win with a single saber.

Many people who play multi-player say that it is not, but I think that will change as people get more practice with the new options.

As I've said before, you can't kill two opponents in the same instant with a single saber, no matter how good you are.

It should be easier to win with a single sabre than a duel sabre, because in reality, it would take more skill to use two sabres or a sabre staff.

In reality, yeah, but for this game, it should be even. I dont care what anyone says, every sabre mode should equally balance...i think it does that at the moment, but some people will no doubt disagree with me, but thats their problem, try learning how to use the sabre rather than complain about how they(Raven) should make it easy for you to kill people.

Originally posted by Matariel

It should be easier to win with a single sabre than a dual sabre, because in reality, it would take more skill to use two sabres or a sabre staff.

I'm not following you here.

The purpose of the new weapons is not to even things out. "Oh, you have more skill than me. You should be handicapped with a weapon that's harder to use."

Dual sabers and saber-staffs should be more deadly than regular sabers if you know how to handle them, otherwise there's no reason to move up to them.

Apparently, the big argument against the dual sabers is that it takes no skill to use them. Well, that will change. People are figuring out how to take down button-mashers and have come up with countermoves.

All styles should have weaknesses and strenghts and be "the best style" in certain situations.

But there's no point in having one Uber-style and two weak ones that no-one uses...well, except for those who think it's the only skillzored style while other styles are for n00bs.

Still there will *always* be one style that is best. Different styles can not ever be perfectly balanced. It's impossible and frankly not something you should even try to accomplish. There's no problem as long as all styles are worth using.

Why use the bryar if the stormie rifle is faster & more accurate and you could charge it up just like the bryar?

It only makes sense that the single saber should be able to do more damage in a single strike than the dual sabers or saber-staff. Think about it logically - you have two hands gripping the end of the handle, swinging the blade at your opponent - maximum force is being applied.

If you haven't noticed - if you pick dual sabers or saber-staff, you still have the option of switching to single saber combat. I seriously doubt the game designers would have bothered to include this function if there was no benefit to be gained by fighting with one saber. In fact - you cannot throw the saber-staff unless you switch to single saber mode by disabling one end.

This also means that the attack kata with the single saber is not available to players using dual sabers or saber-staff - and it's faster and harder to avoid than the attack kata with the saber-staff, or the saber barrier with the dual sabers.

So I disagree with the original post - I think that the different saber styles allow for more flexibility of play - and the only way you are at a disadvantage with the single saber is if you are taking on more than one opponent simultaneously. And the truth of the matter is - you are always at a disadvantage taking on more than one opponent simultaneously, regardless of what saber style you use. If you can win with any type of saber configuration you're a badass.

Originally posted by yaddoshi

It only makes sense that the single saber should be able to do more damage in a single strike than the dual sabers or saber-staff. Think about it logically - you have two hands gripping the end of the handle, swinging the blade at your opponent - maximum force is being applied.

Well, that makes sense for dual sabres [you only have one hand per sabre] but not for staff-sabres where you do have a 2-handed grip. In fact, if you think of the force from swinging a poleaxe compared to the force from swinging a sword, it's arguable that a staff-sabre would apply more force. But since we're talking about imaginary weapons here, this is really a bit academic....

If we look at it technologically, force is irrelevant to a lightsaber strike. The same damage would be done by the weapon, since it is a laser beam. However, as far as blocking, I agree that dual sabers should have a good range but weak strength, and the opposite for a staff.

Originally posted by yaddoshi

That would be true, if we were talking about steel blades. Lightsabers on the other hand are made of engergy, so the amount of force applied is meaningless. The cutting action is caused by the blades energy, not the kinitic energy of the strike.

It is logical to say that duel blades will kill faster, because you stand a chance of hitting with both blades.

It's logical to say that a staff will kill faster, because you again stand a chance of hitting with both ends of the staff.

I don't think any of the sabers should be "harder to use."

People always say that a saberstaff would be "harder to use" but then somebody spouts the EU line that these are "practice sabers that every padawan knows how to use."

So go figure... they're fantasy weapons used by fantasy warriors using a fantasy force.

This is a game played by normal humans with no super powers or Jedi training, so I think they should all be equally "easy" to use. And they are. Some people are just more used to single sabers because they played JK2 a lot.

Archived