Home

JA vs SWG

kingdomwinds

In starwars galaxies jedi will eventually come out. But think how pathic lightsaber combat will be in that game. Im sure it will never be intense as JA. I mean you use the mouse for everything and i heard that the combat system is dice based. So it will be like two jedi taking turns wacking each other with a saber. That will be so funny to watch.

Erm...what is the fundamental point you're trying to make?

Jedi Academy is an FPS game.

Star Wars Galaxies is an MMORPG game.

There's really no comparison between the two. Why should people pay per month to RPG in SWG when they can do that in JA (if they wish, and keep to their own servers)?

And KOTOR is SP only...

Is this topic actually going anywhere? :eyeraise:

I was comparing the lightsaber combat between the two. I saw a video clip of swg where two characters were taking turns hitting each other with a pole. The melee combat looked very lame. After the first guy hit he stopped and the other guy hit. This went on for a while until one dropped dead.

Comparing an RPG with a FPS is like comparing apples and oranges if you ask me...

That being said, I've heard about the saber combat moves in KOTOR. (never actually seen it) If Galaxies could pull off something similar, it might work out. Otherwise, seeing Jedi just standing there taking the occasional whack wouldn't be very exciting for me.

KOTOR's saber combat is not controlled by you it's a preset AI thing were the two duelers will fight like the movies, with lots of blocking and, you have no say in were you saber goes, but you can use force powers, special combos moves or a normal attack. :)

JA give you more freedom for Saber Combat. :)

Galaxies i cant comment on, since i dont and will never buy it. :)

Eh, KotOR, SWG, and JA are all very different genres, even KotOR vs SWG is quite different... I'm not sure why people like to compare them. Combat in SWG and KotOR is like any other RPG, it's probably turn based or fake realtime that you don't control.

I think that the most logical place to "Role Play" is in a "Role Playing Game" but that's just me...

Can't be Jedi yet? So what.... you can be just about everything else, and you have a persistent online world, infinitely more interactive, and nobody will kick you for being an "RPG n00b."

There's a monthly fee (after the first month) but that's the price you pay to have a persistent online world with thousands of human players and npc's, rather than a deathmatch arena with 8 people in it.

And why do RPG players worry about combat? Isn't the whole point of their playing style NOT to fight, but rather to talk and that sort of thing?

Not even sure why I'm addressing this.. but there you go. ; )

SWG is a yawnfest. Turn-based combat can be exciting and dynamic, as evidenced by KOTOR because EACH CHARACTER DOES SOMETHING whether it's his turn or not. In SWG, it's the good old "whack, stand, get whacked, whack, stand, get whacked".

That's OK for Baldur's Gate, not OK after KOTOR...

That said... I would love to see a meld between the FPS style of JA and roleplaying of KOTOR. There's already one game that did the same thing brilliantly: Deus Ex.

Jedi Academy is an FPS game. Star Wars Galaxies is an MMORPG game. There's really no comparison between the two.

Yeah, exactly. I am big SW/EU fan. The reasons I want to play galaxies are totally different to the reasons I play to JA(which is for a fast paced action slice and shoot fix !) Galaxies would be more about developing a characterand interacting with others in this way... I cant see fans of fps games being big on it at all, unless they are really into Star wars !

MTFBWYA

I was comparing the lightsaber combat between the two. I saw a video clip of swg where two characters were taking turns hitting each other with a pole. The melee combat looked very lame. After the first guy hit he stopped and the other guy hit. This went on for a while until one dropped dead.

HAHAHA, lmao, yeah thats a MMORPG for ya, HAHAHA :rolleyes::D

Dont waste your time or money on SWG, its not worth it. I was a beta tester, ive seen pretty much all the game has to offer, and it isnt much. The initial wow factor of the game is great, but once that wears off and you get down to the knitty gritty you'll discover that the game is very unpolished, buggy, and has little worth while content. To quote a review of the game "The game is a thousand miles wide, but only an inch deep" It has the potential to be great, but unfortunatly it has fallen short... way short.

Save your money!

Hitmann_D

My point is, if these RPG players are so big on interaction and character building, then they should seek SWG, because it's 95% that, 5% cool combat.

JA is 98% cool combat and the other 2 % is character building and interaction (or maybe even less if you're talking about multiplayer, heh).

Since RPG players aren't really interested in combat, they shouldn't be bothered if the combat in SWG is paper thin.

Oh heck, if they have an imagination, maybe they should give the real paper & pencil official Star Wars RPG a whir. There's no bugs or lag in that game, so I hear. ; )

Archived