Home

Pirates. Argh.

ptdc

What are your thoughts on pirated software?  

21 members have voted

1. 1. What are your thoughts on pirated software?

• I'm downloading something right now, if only I could download a life :~
    • You're evil! Sick and evil!
    • Download what you want, BUT LEAVE THE MONKEYS OUT OF IT!!!
    • I want more options.

Boredom, it's great. Isn't it. Anyways...

What are people's thoughts on pirating and pirated software. I get the impression from a few places in the "community" that people don't mind as long as it's not Lucasarts software. But tell me what you think, I really "care".

Originally posted by PTDC

:( I only have adsl, I have to wait a year for super fast uni connection. They probably wouldn't like me downloading "perfectly legitimate software".

Hah! All I've got is a freaking ISDN (oh, and 1-2mb/ps is still considered ADSL)

But yeah, the only game I've every downloaded that wasn't a fan game was BASS which was when it actually became abandonware thanks to scummvm. Other games I got my dads freinds tyo copy for me. I'm kidding, i usually buy the games I want although I do have a few pirated CD's, they're kinda like bad pennies if you know what I mean.

I'm quite happy to download "abandonware", but not modern-o-games. If you can't find the game for purchase anywhere, there's no point depriving yourself of it for some random "moral" reasons. I'm sure the developers wouldn't particularly want their creations to be forgotten about for the sake of people staying strictly within the law, either - they'll never make any money on them again if they're no longer on sale, but at least people can still enjoy them through abandonware.

Originally posted by Neil Joshi

Hah! All I've got is a freaking ISDN (oh, and 1-2mb/ps is still considered ADSL)

Only if it's delivered via, er, ADSL. Which in universities it isn't. ¬

"Hey I like your stuff, Im willing to pay for it. Possibly, that is, if I have the money, an extra 50 bucks Im not having to spend on other things."

"Hey I payed 49.99 bucks for this game, and spended my free time on it. *grumble*"

"This computer has cost me so much I better get lots of things for free so it will weight up"

"Hey! Its that great, superb game, I've followed on the internet since forever. Since e3 two years ago. Its finally on the shelf. Dude. Cool. Yes."

"I dont care, I just want some fun time to spend. I download some games and stuff. Its not like anyone cares. Played most of them for 5 minutes anyway."

I think all these apply on me. Depends on the situation. Gimme a reply what you think.

Old games is all I download and since the developers openly think that it's a great idea and I know for a fact no-one is losing any money. It's just the money men "protecting their assets" ("who knows, that 1984 two-color text-adventure might be the next HalfLife!!"). It sounds weird, and it is because computer games are quite unlike anything else... they age TERRIBLY.

It's not like "ooh, classic Beatles songs" or "this timeless 1940 film noir". Games age awfully compared to other medium.

The comparison is like the first Nickelodeon films ("train arriving at station" or "man walking down street" etc) versus The Matrix or Lord of the Rings... except people still wouldn't mind watching "man walking down street" now and then. They should be grateful that their work hasn't been forgotten (because it WILL be someday!).

I dunno Thunder, I think it all depends on your perspective. If you're used to 3D-spinny-Roundy-O-Vision and live only for the beauty of a pixel-shaded wall then you're probably right. But there's masses and masses of gameplay to be had with the likes of text adventures (Zork! woot!) and some of those old skool adventures even if they are only 8 colours or something....and you if you can get them to run.

I just had a recent period of playing all these abandonware adventures i first got into as a wee lad and it was a hell of a lot of fun! Now that could easily just be nostalgia doing it's work by the spade load, but i think that if people could throw away their visual-related prejudices they'd find that those old games are still gems of quality.

You're right though, games don't age in the same way as music or films, but that's because games are neither of those things. Games are in their own class and should remain there. Its when games try to imitate films that horrible accidents occur.

Interactive Movies, anyone?

Archived