• Last Reply
Originally posted by Chewy289

Here's my complete system specs:

AMD Athlon XP 2400+

512MB PC2700 DDR RAM

120GB 7200RPM 8MB Cache HDD

52x/32x/52x CD-RW

GeForce4 Ti4200 64MB DDR AGP 8x

That's close to my specs, I run a gig of PC3200 DDR RAM and a 2200+ tho. The .2 more mhz don't make a significant difference in gameplay for the $70 more it costs and the $130 for another stick of 512 ram is worth every penny. ;x

AGP8X is great...as long as the game can support it. ;)

Originally posted by Ardent

That's close to my specs, I run a gig of PC3200 DDR RAM and a 2200+ tho. The .2 more mhz don't make a significant difference in gameplay for the $70 more it costs and the $130 for another stick of 512 ram is worth every penny. ;x

AGP8X is great...as long as the game can support it. ;)

2400+ costs $82

2200+ costs $72

$10 more for 200 more MHz is a good deal I think...

Originally posted by FurionStormrage

AGP x 8 isn't going to show an improvement over AGP x 4 if the rest of your system is inferior. It makes a HUGE difference if your system can take advatage of the twice-the-speed AGP bus.

Actually, it still doesn't. 8x AGP bus, 8x AGP card, turn it down to 4x, it's not as slow as you'd think.

Originally posted by Emon

CPU is the major factor in OpenGL speed, so how fast is yours?

Well, it's one of...but you need a lot of things to make OpenGL run quickly. If your machine doesn't run cohesively, as far as OpenGL's concerned it may as well not run. Just a small point.

Of course, the same is true for almost anything. But my point is that OpenGL is largely CPU dependant, as opposed to how Direct3D is very GPU dependand. Upgrading from a GF4 to like a Radeon 9x00 won't have a huge difference in some OpenGL apps as would most Direct3D apps.

Of course, the same is true for almost anything. But my point is that OpenGL is largely CPU dependant, as opposed to how Direct3D is very GPU dependand. Upgrading from a GF4 to like a Radeon 9x00 won't have a huge difference in some OpenGL apps as would most Direct3D apps.

Fair enough, but the cohesiveness of the parts inside your box should always be a priority. ;) It's sort of like construction: don't start building before you agree on the final plan, or else it'll take a lot longer to finish the job (and is more likely to be shoddy, to boot).

I have experience to prove that. For years, we had built PCs out of scavaged parts to save money, always ran like ****. Once we started building everything from new components... Hey... It works!

I have a cobbled-together and overclocked Mac G4. Runs anything but a web browser like a pile of garbage, but it's an amazing browser machine! ;) Plus it was free, since all the parts were scavenged from the high school's computer lab.

I think we've also got a collection of cobbled-together 486s, Pentiums and Pentium IIs around too. We honed our construction skills with leftovers from our high school's computer labs, but now we go to computer fairs and powershop. :x I think the last round of computers (AMD AthlonXP 2200+ on the ASUS A7N8XDeluxe AGP8X mobo with an ASUS 128mb Ti4200 w/120mb Maxtor(? can't remember) 8mb cache HD and 1gig of Samsung PC3200 DDR RAM and nothing special for disk drive/DVD/CD-R drives) ran at $1080. Coincidentally, I'm still using that build for gaming, as it's pretty rabid. ;) I have a new build for AutoCAD, though. Sheesh that mofo is a RAM beast ;) AMD AthlonXP 2800+ on the A7N8XDeluxe 2.0 with ASUS AGP8X Ti4600 @128mb DDR RAM w/ 80mb Maxtor 8mb cache and 1.5gig of Samsung PC3200 DDR RAM.

I'm sure it'd crush this machine for gaming, but it's used almost exclusively for CAD work. I've built three of them so far, one for myself and two for local architecture firms. No complaints thus far, although I will say that I hate what passes for BIOS with ASUS. But you go with what's best...

I work in neurological rehabilitation, and went through neuro theory in uni... I hope someone a bit tech can confirm this, but I'm fairly sure the optic nerve(that relays visual information to the brain) has its own 'refresh rate'(this is called something different in neurological terms, like a 'gain threshold') Nonetheless, I am almost certain our limited eyes and brain cannot comprehend the true beauty of 300fps+ I think our brain stops nearer to the 150fps mark... but once again I would like someone to confirm this...

As for myself, I run on a 64mb Geforce 5200, 1600x1200, all at 32 bit/high/very high/trilinear settings, with dynamic glow off and I get a crisp 80-100 fps, and have the monitor to match it via refresh rate. Its just amazing for me(compared to my old computer :p). I havent even bothered dumbing things down to clock up the fps to ridiculous speeds, and I'm a performance junkie !!

MTFBWYA

Originally posted by Astrotoy7

As for myself, I run on a 64mb Geforce 5200, 1600x1200, all at 32 bit/high/very high/trilinear settings, with dynamic glow off and I get a crisp 80-100 fps, and have the monitor to match it via refresh rate. Its just amazing for me(compared to my old computer :p). I havent even bothered dumbing things down to clock up the fps to ridiculous speeds, and I'm a performance junkie !!

MTFBWYA

What about volumetric shadows? Do you use that? It caps off quite a few frames as well.

• 2 weeks later...

What makes good fps THE MOST (100-300)?

-processor

-graphics card

-FSB speed

-OS

-crazy insane codes that forces the fps to the highest

What kind of fps should I expect from this after 2 weeks goes by also

2.8Ghz 800Mhz FSB 512KB Cache

Nvidia Geforce FX 5600 Go 128MB

60 GB 7200RPM hd

15.4" 1680*1050 WideSXGA+

Compatible 3d Sound

512MB RAM

on Jedi Academy on the min, med., and max settings

PLEASE respond to this post, I really want to know :D

I'm getting between 30 to 40 fps in most areas. Is this low for my specs?

P4 1.8GHZ

1Gig SDR PC-133 SDRAM

GF4 Ti4200 128Mb 8x AGP (latest drivers)

SB Audigy

WinXP

I'm running it at 1152x864x32bit with everything on maximum except no anisotropic filtering and simple shadows. Oh, and vsync is off.

I have experience to prove that. For years, we had built PCs out of scavaged parts to save money, always ran like ****. Once we started building everything from new components... Hey... It works!

Hey...

Smartpower 400 Watt PSU

Pentium 2 400 (124x4.0 496 MHz)

PC133 256 SDRAM

Aopen AX63 Pro Rv. 1.0a (bios 1.32)

Maxtor 7200 RPM 40 gig

Maxtor 5600 RPM 20 gig

Vanta AGP 8 Meg Video card (100/85) ;)

Built completely from part I got from teachers that had no use for them (minus the hard drives) I still use this as my main system and works good enough for me. I get about 25-35 FPS in multiplayer at Medium settings 800x600 resolution. I plan on getting a GF4 MX440 64meg for $30 from a friend as a temp upgrade until I finish saving for my college PC.

Archived