Home

Video Cards

crasher1

Im wanting to buy a new video card because right now I have a **** Nvidia TNT2. Im only willing to spend $100 canadian or a little bit more. I want to get the Nvidia FX5200 and I was just wondering is it good and is it better then Radeon 9200? Im mainly getting a new card for Battlefield 1942 and Unreal2k4 when it comes out in November. Please give me some advice.

much apprecitiated

If you're getting the card mostly for Battlefield both the NVidia and ATI cards should be fine for you. If you also want to play Jedi Academy you may want to avoid ATI cards. My wife's ATI card won't play JA at all. :(

Get yourself a good Ti card instead of a low end FX card if you are going to stick with NVidia cards...

I'm using a Ti4200, but I would say, go for a Radeon. Their cheaper, and the performance is as good as an Nvidia card, if not better. The Fx series is just too expensive at the moment, the cost isn't justified, I feel.

So, get a good Radeon. This is especially so if you want to play Halflife2 when it is released.

The current line of FX cards have fundamentally flawed DirectX 9 support, they are not a good buy. The Radeon 9200, 9600 or 9800 is a better choice. I am told nVidia is rereleasing the FX line with proper DirectX 9 support, however. There's a decent chance it will be pretty cheap, they have to compete with ATI's 9800 TX.

When JA was announced I had very seriously been considering getting an ATI Radeon All-in-wonder 9800 pro, but then I've read the barrage of complaints from ATI owners and I've always heard how their driver support leaves much to be desired... so now I'm not so sure.

I don't want to spend more than 200$ on a video card (including tax and shipping), but I know I don't want to get a Geforce3 or anything that old. I have a GeForce2 GTS 32mb so just about anything would be better, but I want to see significant improvements AND have TV out (again, since I already had that with my Geforce2) AND TV in/capture (something I've never had in a video card but always wanted).

ATI's drivers are not that bad, but I would be lying if I said they are not problematic.

Normally, you could just get an nVidia card if you didn't want to mess with ATI's drivers, but the GeForceFX is dead in the water against the 9800, so you best wait until they rerelease the FX line or release their NV40, which will probably be very expensive.

I bought an ATI Radeon 9600 especially for Jedi Academy, after using GeForce for a long time. GeForce's digital vibrance had warped my eyes, so the ATI card made everything, every game look dull color wise. I just couldn't get over that. But I decided to see just how well JA worked on the ATI card. So I get home on the morning of the 17th and what a load of crap, the ATI card wouldn't run JA!!! So instead of playing JA, I'm tinkering with my Radeon 9600 and my computer to try and get JA working. It won't work, so I take the ATI card back to Best Buy, and exchange it for a Verto GeForce 5200 FX Ultra, and it plays JA perfectly, not to mention how much better digital vibrance makes colors look. So I'm officially off ATI cards, and won't be buying one ever again.

erm, it's definitely not your all's video cards. I have a 9600 Pro, my roommate has a 9700, my friend has a 9600 Pro, the list goes on and on. We all run JA perfectly, with very different systems. Try making sure your computer is configured right before bashing wonderful video cards. Operating systems, motherboards, memory amount/speed, hard drive space, and even sound cards have a big effect on how a game runs. It's not all video. I've never had a single problem, in any game (including very, very old games) w/ this rig:

Via P4266a Motherboard

P4, 2.0GHz

512MB PC2100 DDR

60GB HD

ATi 9600 Pro, 128MB DDR

SBLive! 5.1

WinXP Pro / Win2000 Pro dual boot (JA runs perfectly under both)

so, yeah.... all you ATi bashers out there: shush.

Hey Kurgan, you could get that FX 5600 256MB (I recently got a 5900) but the FX 5600 is going for like ~$140 or so WITH s&h included, maybe even less.

Sounds good. If it has tv-in capture & tv-out and is compatible with my motherboard (it's an aBit) then that sounds like a pretty good deal.

DO NOT GET A GEFORCE FX. If you ever want to play a DirectX 9 game like Half-Life 2, you will be screwed, because DX9 performance on the FX sucks. If you want nVidia so bad, wait until they release a new, fixed FX, or a totally new line of cards. Not to mention they're just slower across the board in most real benchmarks (games, synthetic benchmarks are bull).

And, dude, if you need digital vibrance so much, well, one of two things. You like trippy, unrealistic colors, or your monitor sucks.

I currently have a Radeon 7000 video card, and though I know it isn't great, it does work. However I am having problems with the game running slow while playing, and was wondering if there was a way to get the game to run faster and better with this video card. I just downloaded and installed Catalyst 3.5. I had installed Catalyst 3.7, but both seem to have the same problems, with the game running slow.

Also, I would like some opinions on what the better video cards are. I would like to upgrade soon and would just like to hear what some opinions on the different cards are.

Thanks

Darth Mikey D

There is already another thread on video cards farther down the list. I will quote myself from that thread:

Originally posted by Amidala from Chop Shop

If you want more than just random opinions, check out this videocard review at this well-respected hardware site:

http://www20.tomshardware.com/graph...0714/index.html

To get better performance, select Video Quality "Fastest" under Video setup, and make sure Shadows are Simple or Off, and Dynamic Glow is Off under More Video.

Archived