Home

Single saber experiment, single blows

AnArKey

So I got someone with a staff to stand still while I tried some things with the single.

What I did was take those big swings, the ones you have to be backing up to start. The HUGE slow wide arc swings, that you would think are real powerful.

I hit him 10 times:

7 of them were parried with no damage

3 passed right through him without causing any damage

10 direct hits, and he suffers not one point of damage.

These were DEAD center hits on him, swings going right at center mass.

Give it up, switch to staff, and start swinging. :(

Originally posted by AnArKey

I hit him 10 times:

No you took 10 swings.

7 of them were parried with no damage

So he's standing still with a staff in his hand, and your surprised he blocked 7 out of 10 swings?

What did you expect to happen? For the autoblock to fail every time, when he's in defensive stance (not attacking), and your aiming for center mass.

10 direct hits, and he suffers not one point of damage.

These were DEAD center hits on him, swings going right at center mass..

Again, those aren't hits, those are swings, against someone who should block all if not nearlly all of your attacks. Why does this surprise you?

Give it up, switch to staff, and start swinging. :(

I'd be interested to hear what happens if you do it the other way around. Have someone stand there, with a single saber, and have someone with a staff take 10 shots at him.

Originally posted by Vanor

I'd be interested to hear what happens if you do it the other way around. Have someone stand there, with a single saber, and have someone with a staff take 10 shots at him.

I'd really like to know this as well.

Not to mention performing this experiment on the dual sabers, too.

Originally posted by C'jais

Not to mention performing this experiment on the dual sabers, too.

Good point, but 10 attacks are far to few to be really meaningfull, you'd need at least 25-35 attacks before you'd be able to make a meaningfull statement based on the results.

Really I think that's a pretty dumb experiement. I mean, DOH, of course the other guy's gonna block, regardless of stance/saber style. No style is superior to the other, only in your skills. You're supposed to be looking for openings in your enemies when you're fighting, not swinging wildly at the center body mass and hope it'll go through...

No wonder why n00bs like the staff so much. They just swing away madly without any skills at all.

A good point, standing still makes blocking much much easier (usually a person gets hit while they're swinging or move so they are facing the wrong direction).

A "truer" test of saber damage would be with the person's saber OFF (not ignited) and no shields.

If you feel sabers are too weak, Raven recommends g_saberdamagescale 2 or 3. I play with 2 because it reminds me most of how it worked in JK2 1.02 MP, and it makes for fights that are quick but can still last a long time if the people are equally skilled. Plus it makes saber weapons more effective in games that are not duel-oriented (like CTF or Siege).

The staff still takes skill to use. "N00bs" as you call them will try to use the katas and spins and such all day long and never hit anything with them. You still need to learn proper timing to land anything with it. In the hands of an inexperienced player, all those fixed animations work against them, rather than for them.

I think the point is the red stance is supposedly the "block breaker"; it's slow because if you get hit, even if you are stock-still you will take some damage as punishment for getting hit by something so slow.

The staff should have the maximum defense; it makes sense both in real life and balance wise.

Archived