Home

the "Kel Dor" species - where did they come from?

Legal_My_Deagle

i dont remember seeing this guys ever before on any of the movies or anything...where did they from from, what kind of aliens are they, etc etc...

i know im a complete geek but i just find it hard to play as one of these aliens when i dont know anything about them as far as their identity goes

like the rodians i see as mostly gunslingers and bounty hunters, twi'leks are mostly entertainers...stuff like that

hmmm...anything else?

all i found from a google search was that they wear their mask because the atmosphere on their homeworld is a lot different so they breathe in methane i think it is

maybe the real reason they wear the mask is that their breathe must stink terribly ;)

and is flammable! :eek:

also their homeworld is between 2 black holes and the species is rare they say...

not a lot about the actual race's culture though =/

I don't think much was actually created for them...I think Plo Koon is one of those filler Jedi, which somehow got a large cult following, and so Lucasarts and Raven put the species in...Jedi Power Battles allowed you to play Plo Koon, so this isn't something that new, which would explain why some of the "cult" Jedi from Episode II didn't make it into JA... (Kel Dor's have been around longer)

This is a shameless rip from the http://www.starwars.com about Plo Koon...

Plo Koon was a Kel Dor from the planet Dorin. His physiology was such that he wore protective goggles and his face-concealing antiox mask whenever in oxygen-rich environments. As a Dorin, Koon naturally possessed highly developed extrasensory organs that supplement his already formidable Jedi attributes.

Koon was more martial a Jedi than most. Kel Dor natives have a reputation for seeing moral issues in black and white, with clear distinctions between right and wrong. As such, Koon often took decisive action with little contemplation. This initiative served him well during the Stark Hyperspace Wars, when he took up the Republic banner after a great Jedi Master was killed. Koon rallied the disheartened troops to an unlikely and miraculous victory.

I tried looking up Kel Dor under species, but that particular species is not actually listed. Dorin is not listed under the 'locations' section either.

So that's about as good information as you're going to get from official sources, I'm afraid.

Ah, yes, the Kel Dor species. Y'know, I never quite understood why Plo Koon became so popular. Sure, he's cool looking, but he really doesn't play that big of a role in the movies. We only rarely see him in action, maybe igniting his saber (which I notice is blue, contrary to the EU orange) in Episode II. Not that he's bad or lame or anything, it's just that he's like Boba Fett in the classic trilogy...cool looking, but not much else. In essence, overrated.

...Whoops, did I say that out loud?!!:eek:

*flees in terror from all Boba Fett fanatics*

Plo Koon is not really THAT popular...the popularity that he does recieve is probably cause of his name...sounds cool, has a certain ring to it. :D

Oh lookie lookie, another shameless rip, this time from The Completely Unofficial Star Wars Encyclopedia. Enjoy.

Kel Dor

this was a formidable race of humanoids from the planet Dorin. They have enlarged, external sensory organs which allow them to interpret basic external stimuli as well as extrasensory input. They evolved breathing the unusual mixture of gases in Dorin's atmosphere, and cannot survive on oxygen-rich planets. Thus, those Kel Dor who traveled to other worlds must wear a sophisticated pair of goggles and an anti-oxygen mask whenever they are off-world. As a people, the Kel Dor were known for their compassion and kind-heartedness, but also for the swift justice they meted out whenever necessary. It was believed that those individuals with silver irises to their eyes were very sensitive to the Force, but there has not been any definitive relationship identified.

The main reason I like the Kel Dor as a species is that they have a defined Achilles Heel. A character, good or evil, that can kick ass even with a weakness is just that much more badass in my opinion. On top of that, they're the only species in SW as far as I can remember that don't fit the mold. In other words, they don't have some bizarre universal physiology that allows them to exist on pretty much any planet in the galaxy.

Kel Dorians are powreful creatures (like wookies) that have to where breath masks because compared to what they're used to most air from planets that aren't their home planet Dorin is toxic. Plo Koon's lightsaber is a mystery, as it changes colour almost all the time. But I guess, like Mace Windu's, it changed from Ep1 to Ep2.

Since they're so cool, i guess lucasarts wanted to add them as a playable species because of their popularity.

They are just cool! :D

Kashyyk would be a fun map. Bioware was able to pull it off in KOTOR, after all. Rodia would be interesting as well. I read that they have some nasty predators, though. (hence why so many Rodians become marksmen and bounty hunters) Unfortunately, Raven will probably not release such maps. [Gandalf]"It is in modders that our hope lies."[/Gandalf]

Yes... I AM one of those Kel Dor fans =D

Like most of you have said, I really don't know how Plo Koon got popular. I thought he always looked like the Predator or something, so thats why I began to like him. I just like the race too. I've probably read EVERY single account of information on them, and I assure you that its not much. But, that also makes me like them too, its sort of like they're a mystery race.

I remember back when I read a script for Ep 2, they had a part there where they said Plo Koon was supposed to have a big battle scene with Battle Droids (He and that K-something-or-other (cone-head dude =D) were going to take out some Droid control facility to hopefully power down all the droids in the arena, and you DO actually seem them being brought back into the circle of Jedi before the Clones come). Anyway, I was angry about that when that scene wasn't implemented. I remember about seeing a poll on starwars.com about which Jedi the community would like to see with a bigger role in Ep 3, and Plo Koon just blew everyone else away, so hopefully we'll see more of him in the next movie...

It's about time we are being mentioned.

Originally posted by StormHammer

This is a shameless rip from the http://www.starwars.com about Plo Koon...

I tried looking up Kel Dor under species, but that particular species is not actually listed. Dorin is not listed under the 'locations' section either.

So that's about as good information as you're going to get from official sources, I'm afraid.

So true.

They need to wear the must because some of the Oxygen on planets like Coruscant is too rich.

Originally posted by GreenDevil

I remember back when I read a script for Ep 2, they had a part there where they said Plo Koon was supposed to have a big battle scene with Battle Droids (He and that K-something-or-other (cone-head dude =D) were going to take out some Droid control facility to hopefully power down all the droids in the arena, and you DO actually seem them being brought back into the circle of Jedi before the Clones come). Anyway, I was angry about that when that scene wasn't implemented. I remember about seeing a poll on starwars.com about which Jedi the community would like to see with a bigger role in Ep 3, and Plo Koon just blew everyone else away, so hopefully we'll see more of him in the next movie...

Hmmm, I remember seeing something on theforce.net about that and that they actually filmed that bit, and they even added special effects and released it to members of starwars.com or something... (the members who have to pay a certain amount every month)

Archived