Home

lightsaber (which is the best?)

Raanes

There is a lot of debate about that, which to me says there they are fairly well balanced. It is known that the dual and double sabers are easier to use (according to Raven), but that one can be just as effective with the single saber.

Personally, I use the single saber and I find that I am quite successful with it. I think you will be happy with whatever you end up choosing. :)

It all comes down to personal preference (if you're talking about multiplayer).

How good you are is based on your skill, not on which saber you choose to use.

Of course in SP there are different situations where different ones are easier than others.

Remember that the reason sabers have multiple stances is so that you will use them in different situations.

In the hands of a skilled person, any style works.

QFE

If you know what you're doing, all the styles balance out pretty well...each has advantages and disadvantages. (although I'm gonna say that single red's only advantage is damage, which hardly makes it worth using, but to each his own)

Lately, I've been using the staff, but I actually like the dual's appearance better...it's just having that stupid blade barrier instead of a kata... :mad:

I prefer the Dual Sabers. I'm not very good with the Saberstaff. I can still use the Single Saber (indeed I switch between Dual and One-blade Fast stance quite a bit).

I have to agree about the Saber barrier. The problem is that it is too slow to start, and it's very obvious what you are about to do so everyone hightails it away from you. You're left with blades spinning uselessly in the air while everyone watches - then it's just a matter of timing to do a roll+stab. The katas seem to kick in much more quickly, and they are less obvious.

The saber barrier is usually only useful if you catch someone unaware, or start it at the fringe of a bit saber battle where people may not be taking too much notice. It will obviously get tagged as a 'cheap' move before long because of this.

The other move I'm not really fond of is the wild flailing forward spin. I have yet to see anyone make a kill using that move, and in my view, it goes on too long. I'd prefer the medium forward flip to this move...

I'd prefer the medium forward flip to this move... [/b]

most definately, a double slash while flipping would be much more effective...or even a butterfly with wide slashes, a la staff...but a corkscrew roll with the sabers tight to the sides?? Honestly, the only useful thing I've done with it is pass over a saberbarrier parrying away the sabers as I went

I completely disagree that the staff is a newb weapon. It has the most openings of any of the sabers. Both the staff and the dual sabers have the same issue. If you walk up in front of either, and the person hits attack, you have a good chance of being hit with both blades (or both sides of the staff) because that's the nature of the basic swing. Personally, I'm seeing alot of people figuring out that crouching moves will get you right under alot of the lateral staff swings and you can take a staff user out quick as long as they don't kata when you move in. The jumping move with the staff is brutal and simple to use, but force push will clear them out of the way. I'm a staff user and I'm getting pretty good, but alot of players are getting good at countering and nullifying my more powerful moves. I have to rely on short controlled attacks.

The two saber users are the ones that I think are having way too easy a time. I've been cut down in one primary attack hit while mid kata on a dozen occasions. Apparently their range is much more effective.

I love the single saber still and it's actually a preference if there is alot of room on a map because of the amount of moves that become available.

Here's my 2 cents.

I feel that the single-saber is all about control. It allows you to lpace your hits where you want them to hit, when you want them to hit. There is a wide variety of moves, since there are 3 stances available to you. The only disadvantage is the lack of defence against the lightstaff users. Single-saber users have to keep moving and stay just out of range. Remember that the single-saber's blade is very slightly longer than the light-staff's blades.

The Lightstaff is about offence. It deals fantastic amounts of damage in a skilled player's hands, and it can still be controlled relatively well. It is also a rather flexible style, since you can still throw your saber (with one blade turned off), and you can also use kicks, which are useful if you don't spam them (that will get you killed really fast), but use them at opportune times to surprise your opponent. The disadvantage is that because the blades are held to either side, the player's body is actually rather exposed to opponent's lunges and other direct attacks.

The dual-sabers are about speed. They overwhelm an opponent's defence by an unending onslaught of hits from both sides. The disadvantage is the lack of damage they due (each saber being equivalent to the single-sber fast stance). Highly effective against the slower stances such as the single-saber heavy-stance. The lack of control and lack of attack options cripples this style to a certain extant, however. Nevertheless, it can be highly effective in the hands of a player who strives to maintain his mobility.

ive only played the demo so far and i couldnt see myself using anything but the staff most of the time. it works best for me and i think it also looks the coolest too (especially with the yellow color cause its REAL bright). maybe when i get the game and play MP i might like the others too....

I think the stances are pretty balanced, since everybody argues about them.

Dual sabers' basic moves make it a pretty good blitz weapon, and it SEEMS to have a wider block radius than any of the single weapons. But its special moves SUCK, and its only good special move (the Twirl attack where you windmill both sabers like mad) is nerfed in multiplayer, since you can't move and use it at the same time. The sideways forward jumping attack thing is hard to hit with and doesn't seem to do much damage, and the barrier makes you a sitting duck to saber throws and rolling stabs. The dual stabs (left & right, front & back) can be handy, but usually just leave you standing there open to getting nailed for a second. And its reach is short, so anyone with good timing and the staff or red style can beat a dual user like a drum.

So noobs may choose dual, but I don't think it is a good noob choice.

Personally, I think the staff is better than dual or the singles for most people, but not enough to be unbalanced. It has useful special moves, good reach, decent speed and good damage. But alot of the really good players I've seen use Red style and just have good enough timing to compensate for its low speed... they just slowly bash the crap out of you and you can't do anything about it.

I find the preference for single-saber strong-stance quite interesting, perhaps due to the fact that I almost never use it. When JO first came out, I was of the opinion that the strong-stance was almost useless. I was wrong, of course.

Perhaps my tendancy to deviate towards weapons and styles which utilise high speed accounts for this. FOr almost any game I play, I usually value playing-styles which grant me speed and mobility.

However, after seeing some of the red-stance users online, I must say that it is definitely a lot more effective than I would think, especially when a skilled player gets the timing just right, swinging at the right instance, moving out of range before a counter-attack, etc.

Personally, I'll stick to my lightstaff, even if I do get sliced and diced by good red-stance users now and then. :p

Archived