Home

JK2 players, what do you think..JA mp?

Imperial_thug

I've been playing JA mp for a little bit now, and I have to say I am bitterly dissapointed. I've tried to play it, give it the benefit of a doubt, but the more I play it, the more I hate it.

I hate the way the any saber move draws from force power, I always am out of force at a crucial time. Like if someone runs behind me, and I need to do a backstab move, I can't because I'm out of force. It really sucks, all the moves really seem hindered.

I've always felt that the proper way to balance a game is to add counter-moves for every regular move. Like the whole kick-spamming thing that was occuring in JK2, all they could have done was lowered the kick's damage and added a counter-move for being knocked down. They added a counter-move in JA, but then they also tottally removed the kick. So whats the point in having the other moves, when would you use them? I like the kick move, I just did'nt like the way it was spammed by some ppl. They could have toned it down without removing it.

I thought that the gameplay in JK2 was mostly perfect, it did need a few minor tweeks, but with JA they totally changed it and removed stuff that I really liked about it.

I just feel dissapointed because I was under the impression that JA was going to be the same great game that JK2 was, but with more. More new saber moves, more levels, more skins, new sabers, etc. JA is'nt what I expected, this feels like a tottally different, crappy game.

What are you babbling about? :p

No seriously, I never played JO mp much both because I only had a 56k connection and then because I hated it. Not enough options and most saber fights consisted of move spamming and/or running by swinging.

JA seems to have more people that stay semi close and fight and the sheer volume of moves help to break the monotony of the same swing attacks.

Granted, there are still move spammers, but not many...and really, is the kick REALLY that important to have? Honestly?

I kind of like it JA's game paly... but

if for MP map ?

JK2 have lot of Amazing somebody's Custom made Maps ...

Some of from JK2 SP map and very Original one...

I hope JA Mapper make very Original nice map and pick from JA SP map too... not just moving from JK2..... :amidala:

If you want JK2 like game play put the following cvars in your server config file:

1) seta d_saberSPStyleDamage "0"

2) seta d_saberBoxTraceSize "2"

3) seta d_saberGhoul2Collision "0"

4) seta g_locationbaseddamage "0"

5) seta g_saberDamageScale ".35"

The first one re-enables autoblock (i.e. if you stand in a ready position it will attempt to block incoming swings). This setting also gets ride of the variable damage you all have come to expect from JKA.. hits do a specific amount of damage depending on the style/stance/move. This setting also brings back "burn", if you walk up to someone and put your saber tip in them it will burn 1hp off. The one negitive side effect I have found is that roll stab and blue/staff/duel backstab does 75 damage or so... I wish Raven would decrease this, but its doubtful see as this is not a default setting.

The second one is questionable as to if its needed, but it is what JK2 used for a default.

The third setting seems to actully improve hit detection (less abers passing through your enemy without registering a hit), it also decreases how much blocking occures... and increases how much damage is done by about 200%.

The 4th setting in theory disables locationbaseddamage, but to be honest my testing shows this setting does little or nothing to damage at all.. no matter where you hit.

The 5th setting decreases all saber damage from a 1.0 setting to a .35 setting. I am using .35 as disabling ghoul2 causes hits to do about twice as much damage, and then changing to saberSPStyle changes saber hits so that they always do a static amount of damage. I found .35 to be a good setting in this case.

The end result? A single saber user can actully take on a staff or dual saber user with blue/yellow/red and have a decent change of winning. Dual/staff hits take about 19-25hp, instead of 15-80hp. Blue hits take about 9-11, yellow 19-21 and red 20-45.

Lunge takes about 25-40, staff "Fariy dance" no longer means instant death (not knics only take 15-25hp now).

The only real negitive side affect is the roll lunge damage, which as long as you are quick to evade rollers isnt much of a problem.

You can check these settings out by heading over to any of the http://www.bladeworks.net servers (any server ending in @BWN).

Master DarkStar

Master Moria.

I have to agree with the original poster. I loved JK2, I put almost two years into that game, and I was more than stoked about JA up until I actually played it. Holy ass, what a disappointment! The multiplayer game just feels so, so, so badly broken compared to JK2. It just wasn't any fun to me. Then, on top of that, the graphics didn't really look that much more incredible than those from JK2, but in JA I was getting less than half the FPS I was used to from the earlier game. So disgusted was I that JA is now uninstalled and traded in to EB.

I hate to say it , but I have to agree with you, Imperial_thug:(

(everything except that it REALLY stinks)

The bots are stupid, the pings are very slow and the maps that came with the game stink!

but I have to admit, I like the siege and power duel modes.

Overall, it is pretty good, but I can't tell if I like the JO mp better.

Originally posted by Imperial_thug

I've been playing JA mp for a little bit now, and I have to say I am bitterly dissapointed. I've tried to play it, give it the benefit of a doubt, but the more I play it, the more I hate it.

I hate the way the any saber move draws from force power, I always am out of force at a crucial time. Like if someone runs behind me, and I need to do a backstab move, I can't because I'm out of force. It really sucks, all the moves really seem hindered.

I've always felt that the proper way to balance a game is to add counter-moves for every regular move. Like the whole kick-spamming thing that was occuring in JK2, all they could have done was lowered the kick's damage and added a counter-move for being knocked down. They added a counter-move in JA, but then they also tottally removed the kick. So whats the point in having the other moves, when would you use them? I like the kick move, I just did'nt like the way it was spammed by some ppl. They could have toned it down without removing it.

I thought that the gameplay in JK2 was mostly perfect, it did need a few minor tweeks, but with JA they totally changed it and removed stuff that I really liked about it.

I just feel dissapointed because I was under the impression that JA was going to be the same great game that JK2 was, but with more. More new saber moves, more levels, more skins, new sabers, etc. JA is'nt what I expected, this feels like a tottally different, crappy game.

Then it is time cut your losses and move on...

Imperial_thug: Your feelings of JA being 'crappy' because it is different is an entitlement to you, it is an opinion, we all are entitled to them. However I must tell this to you, JUST because something is NOT the same does not mean it is WORSE/BETTER.

JA is a different game, as cynical as many people wish to be, its not jk2. Stop wanting it to be a jk2 mod, because it is not. It carries some of the same weapons, and graphics, and styles, but it is a totally different game, expect things to be different. If you dislike it so much, then return to jk2's crappy autoblocking Noob-flailing-fest, and Saber impotency in CTF games.

JA makes it tough to stay alive in ctf/tffa/ffa, as it should be. Sabers do plenty of damage, save blue style. There's a few damage settings set too high on some of the specials. (No reason I should be 1-shot with 100/100 EVER.)

Jk2 also had two hefty patches that changed QUITE a bit of the mechanics in it. We had the 1.03 Bum-fighters, and in 1.04 the silly, skilless autoblock. In jk:a you can 'parry'. . parrying is a skill you really should learn to use. Also, evasion/avoidance.

As for saber damage being a set amount? Thats pure and utter festered bile. It should vary, it also should do more depending where it hits. A lightsaber slicing through the gullet with someone with no shielding should kill them or hurt them severely. I disliked that in jk2. OMG I HIT HIM IN THE TOE HE DIES.

Thats so silly..

Single saber is far from impotent, and staff saber can still be thrown, just extinguish the second blade and it flies fine.

I can keep up with some of the most 'potent' blade barrier yaw'ers for kills in a FFA, with just Red stance in single saber. They are far from immune, and if force is enabled, a roll stab and protect do wonders.

I refuse to use anything but heavy or staff, if I must. Both destroy dual sabers if you know how to parry (with staff) and actually know how to FIGHT/Combo with red.. Its rediculious, its like Sauron in the opening credits of the first Lord of the Rings movie. 2-3 dual users dead, just get some skills, some practice evasion, and learn to aim the swings.. and they are easy.

I actually prefer fighting staff and dual saber users, they're fodder. The dual sabers don't have defence and staff users are open below the belt constantly.. ;)

Originally posted by Prime

Then it is time cut your losses and move on...

[sarcasm]

Yes how dare you state your opinion here on the forums you WHINER. If you spend $50 for something and you don't like it, throw it in the trash and go play something else. No need in trying to state your opinions here in the hopes that someone from RAVEN might read it, and take it into consideration when deciding whether or not to patch the game and what to patch into it.

I'm sorry you don't enjoy the game, but it is time for you to leave the forums now and go spend $50 on a different game. Disgruntled consumer input that is well thought out and valid is not appreciated here. Here, we call it whining. [/sarcasm]

Archived