Home

Amiga Music for Monkey Island PC!

ThunderPeel2001

Ok, this is one for all those Amiga lovers (like me) who fondly remember playing Monkey Island on their A500. I've correctly timed and tested the music files to work with ScummVM and Monkey Island PC-CD version.

All you need to do is unzip these files into your Monkey Island PC-CD directory and ScummVM will do the rest!

Classic Amiga tunes *perfectly* timed and never-more will you have hear "Stan's Theme" or those horrible "synth" sounds again, lol :)

If anyone cares, enjoy!

Beautiful Amiga Music!

~ John

PS - Some hosting for this file would be very nice! Thanks!

PPS - It's 12MB in size, BTW!

Good work! It's sort of a shame the MP3s are in mono, but I can see why you've done it that way - the stereo "effect" can be offputting, not to mention not entirely intentional... ;P

Just a note to anyone having problems - update to the latest ScummVM. I initially tried it using ScummVM 0.5.1 and the MP3s played very slowly...

Well spotted, Huz! They are in mono for two reasons: 1) The Amiga only could play 4 instruments at once, 2 on each speaker. That means that most Amiga music was never meant to be heard in stereo (although I guess someone could remix it now?). 2) DeliTracker's rip function only works in mono in their "free" version :)

And that also half-answers Drigo's question:

1) I got the original TMFX music file from the original Amiga game. I played it through DeliTracker and ripped them into .wav's from their original source!

2) I encoded the wavs in standard bitrate MP3

3) Renamed the MP3's to coincide with the track listings on my Monkey Island CD.

Very simple, really!

Anyone notice any bugs BTW? I was playing it last night and for some reason it plays the Melee Forest Chase track when you're talking to Otis. That's either a problem with ScummVM or the original CD. I'll have to check.

Thanks everyone! Glad you all liked it, it sure brings back memories to me also!

~ John

Originally posted by ThunderPeel2001

Another annoying addition to the PCCD version! :)

Why... what's the other 'annoying addition'? I'm not much familiar with the pc cd version, you know. Actually I played it without cd tracks (ripped version, that is. Don't blame me, blame Lucasarts for not selling those games in Europe anymore or at least relicense them as abandonware).

Stuff like "ambience" at the dockside. I'm sure there's more stuff, but to be honest I'm not too familiar with the CD audio either - the files got copied across to my HD and have remained there ever since!

The Monkey Island theme sounds good on the CD version, but otherwise it's not that great.

The addition I was referring to was the "Chase the Storekeeper" music in Otis's scene for absolutely not reason. Of course I'm just being picky (because I want to play MI like I remember it) but it also doesn't make too much sense why that particular theme (which is based on the Melee Forest theme) would be played when you talk to Otis.

Archived