Home

Kurgan's Meatgrinder (UP @108.178.55.189:29070)

Kurgan

Vent server is up:

A "Vent" server for the game is now up! So now you can voice chat with

other players (assuming they're logged in as well).

Get Ventrilo HERE.

Vent Server: vent8.gameservers.com

Port #: 4544

Channel "A" Meatgrinder

Thanks to Nedak & co. for the use of the server!

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Okay the server tracker (Jedi Tracker) is down, however the server ITSELF should be unaffected (it's hosted by ET, a different company).

So just join the server as you normally would, you just won't see whow is in or what map is being played via the web page until the tracker is fixed. You can check the status with programs like Qtracker however.

Server tracker is back up.

I start classes in less than two weeks, and then I'm basically out of time to play. I hadn't considered running the server past August, but we'll see if there's any interest and if I can spare the cash. It would be nice to have someplace to play a bit on the weekends with the little spare time I'd have. But this is my final semester of my degree, so we'll see...

Just a heads up, but unless something extraordinary happens, the server is GOING DOWN the week of September 15th.

Not only do I need to save money, but I won't have much time to play then anyway. So enjoy it while it lasts! And while the server hasn't been as popular as I had hoped (I guess what can I expect for a six year old game, and using settings that are too HARDCORE for your average player, heh), but it's still been great!

So get in a few more frags, a few more caps, a few more objectives complete... while the getting's good!

I just played a few rounds tonight... believe it or not I have the darn thing running in Linux but it keeps crashing in Vista!

You have a lot of bots! I was creamed.. it was as if all the bots had it in for me and the game was "smear the human."

Still a bit of fun, though.

I'm glad you had a good time! I threw in a lot of bots to keep it interesting, but I agree that a few of the smaller maps don't need 12 in that confined space. Though I wasn't remiss in terming those the "Mayhem" rounds... hoping to duplicate the experience of a Mosh Pit, but with weapons... ;)

I may be able to get on tonight, though this weekend is going to be pretty crazy at work, plus classes start Monday (however, since part of my schedule is in limbo, Mon-Tues may not be that busy).

If you're going to be on tonight again, let me know...

Yeah, I've got a graduate class starting Tuesday. I'm only taking one this semester, but I'm told its the hardest, most-involved, so that's probably a good thing. I'm not sure if I'll get on tonight, but I'll try to find some time one evening this week. I'm actually working both Saturday and Sunday this week -new software testing/validation at work.

I'm still surprised at the ease with which I was able to play in Linux. The Frame Rate was probably not as good as it would on a decent XP machine, but I've been on servers with a good machine where it was far choppier.

I need to upgrade my graphics card for Vista/XP use. I have an older nVidia and as soon as I enter a game like BF or JA, it freezes with the screen looking like a kaleidescope and I have to reboot. At first I thought it was my power supply, so I replaced it. Then I thought it was a poor install of XP, so I upgraded to Vista. I even formated the Win drive and installed there. Then I thought it could be a problem associated with not having the SATA driver loaded (Linux doesn't need all that garbage).

The only thing left is a bad mobo or bad video card.

I'm telling you, you know Ubuntu Linux has come a long way when it's easier to install and manage than Windows.

Yeah, my parents use Ubuntu at home, though it's on a pc with a non-working sound card. They just use it for word processing and web browsing, basically.

I refused to "upgrade" to XP (mostly to save memory), but I may be "forced to" as there are a growing number of games that supposedly require it that I'm interested in. I also need to upgrade to a gig or two of ram... blah. Vista and "Windows 7" are right out... they require way too much processing power and memory to do the same crap as before, plus there are DRM issues (sorry, but I don't want to only use M$ approved software and reserve the right to upgrade/downgrade when I feel like it).

Anyway, I'm glad you were able to get on! I thought I had heard of Q3 working in linux, so even though there's no official port of JA, that isn't too shocking. I'm sorry we haven't gotten to play.

My class schedule currently is Tuesday through Friday and I'll be working Sundays (subject to change). Thankfully I have no morning classes, but it looks like I'll be writing over a hundred pages this semester. Good luck!

PS: The JA server is paid for through Sept 14th. On the 15th they'll charge me again automatically unless I cancel it. So I'm debating whether to continue it or not. I probably won't have time by then, but if people want to use it enough, maybe I could justify the added expense. Once I'm out of here though I'm going to really have to pinch pennies, so it probably won't be back for the foreseeable future.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

My mic isn't in good shape and the people I was going to use it with (the whole point of it in the first place) didn't have time. Ah well... it was free (and thanks to the folks who got it for us!).

Defiantly report back if it's still running! If even two people use it, it's worth while. Remember, check the Meatgrinder room ('cause the other rooms are used by people playing WOW or Diablo 2 or just to chat, whatever).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

1/22/10

Happy New Year! I forgot to update this thread in awhile, but anyway, I can't afford to pay for this server month to month anymore, so I'm really, really taking it down mid-February. I hope you've enjoyed the extra months. I kept forgetting to cancel my subscription. If someday in the future I get more money to throw at it, I might. But I think the Meatgrinder has had a good run. Thanks everyone for the fun games!

• 4 weeks later...

I've officially canceled my subscription from EscapedTurkey.com (a great host, but I need to save some money).

So I'm not sure right now if the server will stay up until MARCH 15th, or if it'll go down this week (once the cancellation order is processed). So get your game in while you still can!

There's a CTF game going on now with at least one guy in there...

• 2 weeks later...

It's still up!?

I'm talking with EscapedTurkey now to see if this is a mistake, or if the server will simply "run out" at the next billing date (March 13th/14th). Anyway, it's canceled, so it won't be coming back for awhile.

CURRENT STATUS: UP! @ 208.43.15.76:29070

3/4/10 WE'RE BACK! THANK YOU ESCAPED TURKEY!!!

Yes, without any interruption in service, ET, our benevolent host

has decided to give the Meatgrinder a new lease on life, as a sponsored Jedi Academy server. As such we'll be throwing in some plugs to their service and putting some unobtrusive ads on the page out of respect, soon (much like we did for JediServers, our first sponsor, back in the day).

This is great news for all of you who haven't had a chance to join us yet,

or those who were itching to come back. I for one am very pleased with

this news and can't thank them enough.

As for this thread, it is becoming unwieldy, so I may be starting a new one

to provide the latest info and status on the server. For now, consider this a bit of nostalgia. Add the Meatgrinder to your JA favorites!

• 1 month later...

For anyone still reading this old thread, the server IS still running as we speak, despite the fact that the TRACKER (which merely shows the status of the server) is down. The tracker is undergoing maintanence, as the service blog states (always check that when in doubt).

The server is fine, and is on a steady rotation of six rounds of siege (each of the three maps repeated in two cycles) followed by a quick mayhem round and then all five CTF maps.

It seems the gametypes don't change properly unless I begin with a FFA map, so we'll continue to start the cycle with a mayhem round.

I have put in other alternate cycles that use Holocron FFA and some of the JK2 maps and the Bonus maps. I hope to get to use those again someday if people will finally download and install them!

Enjoy!

Archived