Home

Major BUG on CTF map creates terrible exploit!

Amidala from Chop Shop

I know folks from Raven sometimes visit these forums, so I am posting here and on the Ravensoft forum so that hopefully someone from Raven will see it.

Raven, please help!! There is a major bug on a certain CTF map that is worse than the rooftop bug on JK2's ctf_ns_streets! There is an area that is not meant to be accessed judging by the missing textures. However, you can get into this area and it puts you behind a normal-appearing wall. No one can see, attack, or walk to a person behind this wall. However, the person behind the wall can not only see through it, he can shoot, saber-throw, and walk through it as well! Makes a perfect hiding place for a sniper or flag-carrier to hide and be totally safe from detection or attack.

I don't want to give any more details so people won't start exploiting it. If someone from Raven contacts me I will be happy to send details and screenshots.

Originally posted by Sam

Hey I dont play ctf at all(only duel and ffa)so can yo pm where

There are a few on duel maps too. The Rancor pit, for instance, you can roll through the bottom of those statues and hide in/behind them.

I suspect just rolling around towards walls for an hour or so will find the hole Amidala's talking about. If you're really that interested. In JO mods had to be built to block the entrance to such "buggy places."

The problem mentioned in the original post is definetly a map bug. Also there is this same type of problem in ctf hoth (if you jump in the right spots you can get inside the mountains). If it's needed someone on twl has made a demo of this exploit that can be viewed. I won't post it here because I don't think anyone wants every newbie on this forum using it ruining ctf games just so they can pretend they are 1337. So if raven or threewave can do something to rectify it in an upcoming patch I'd appreciate a pm or reply :D

I'm sure everybody remembers the map bug in JK2's ffa_yavin (Massassi Temple) that let you get outside the walls so you could go around the map and stand on top of one of the temple entrances. You could see through an invisible wall and be seen as well, but you couldn't shoot through it or be shot at. And it was a FFA map, not a CTF map.

I don't know if you can shoot through the mountain on the Hoth bug mentioned above, but the bug I am talking about not only lets someone hide with the flag, but it's a one-way wall: the person behind it can't be seen or attacked, but they can shoot, saber throw, throw out mines and detonators, or walk back out through the wall.

I've seen jokers on JK2's ctf_ns_streets hide on the rooftops with the flag when the score is tied, preventing the game from ending if no one else knew how or was able to wall float up there and get them. The same thing or worse will happen with this bug when it becomes common knowledge (which it probably will very soon). That's why I hope Raven will fix it in the upcoming patch.

Originally posted by Amidala from Chop Shop

I'm sure everybody remembers the map bug in JK2's ffa_yavin (Massassi Temple) that let you get outside the walls so you could go around the map and stand on top of one of the temple entrances. You could see through an invisible wall and be seen as well, but you couldn't shoot through it or be shot at. And it was a FFA map, not a CTF map.

You could do it on the Yavin CTF map, too. You just had to wallrun up the temple at a particular angle and you'd hit a clip and float to the top. Not the greatest place to 'hide,' though, as you're still in plain sight.

I don't know if you can shoot through the mountain on the Hoth bug mentioned above, but the bug I am talking about not only lets someone hide with the flag, but it's a one-way wall: the person behind it can't be seen or attacked, but they can shoot, saber throw, throw out mines and detonators, or walk back out through the wall.

Are you sure it's one-way? Have you tried having someone use a scatter-effect weapon at that point in the wall?

I've seen jokers on JK2's ctf_ns_streets hide on the rooftops with the flag when the score is tied, preventing the game from ending if no one else knew how or was able to wall float up there and get them.

Well, the obvious rooftop glitch almost everyone knew, but there were a ton of exploits on the ctf_ns_streets map that most people couldn't pull off. I think we have demos of us hanging out all over the top of the streets. ;) We fixed the map issues with xMod.

The same thing or worse will happen with this bug when it becomes common knowledge (which it probably will very soon). That's why I hope Raven will fix it in the upcoming patch.

Raven has been pretty staunch in their stance about map fixes...they don't do 'em. You're welcome to, and you can certainly build a mod to block those places off...but you're left with the same end result: a download to play on that server.

Originally posted by Andy867

Wouldn't Force Sense be able to pick out the campers?

I would assume Force Sense\Seeing level 3 would allow you to see them if you knew where to look, but I haven't tested it. But it still allows them to shoot\rocket\detonate\saber throw you while they remain hidden and untouchable. I haven't tested it and I don't usually play Dark Side, but I assume Lightning, Grip, and Drain would also go one-way through the wall. So a flag carrier could go in there and wait safely until his own flag has been returned, then simply walk through the one way wall, go a short distance and score. This map bug isn't far from each of the flag bases and it's on both the Red and Blue sides of the map.

I don't know if grip will work to drag them out of the spot though, but all weapons and force powers work from behind the wall. Also players cannot shoot them or detonate them while they are behind this wall.

Ami, I'd just as soon say we make a video and post it. :]

That way even if Raven doesn't fix the issue, at least enough people will know about it that it becomes a hassle to use.

{JE}Dovienya{C}

Find the person hiding with the flag's name and vote kick them?

But seriously, EMAIL or PM ChangKhan (Mike Gummelt) about this or emorog (James Monroe) or Kenn.

Let Raven know about it. I would think it would be easy just to flag the surface in that "hiding spot" as a kill zone... that'd fix the problem.

Archived