Home

Using lightstaff as a lightsider.

Oblivion Zeta

Yeah, I was planning on tweaking some of the NPC files as well.

As far as Jedi even knowing about a lightstaff, it wouldn't be too big of a deal. I mean, Exar Kun just basically thought of the idea out of need to be deadlier in personal combat, and it isn't really that massive of a mental leap to envision a saber with a blade sticking out both ends of the hilt. Of course using it without personal damage is another story.

So, the lightstaff would probably just be "reinvented" in any case. And, although your argument disregarded the EU, since the set of JA is in EU, and they learned about Exar Kun when they investigated his Massassi temple, which I assume was set prior to JA.

But in any case, I will hold my opinion that in the era of the new Jedi, since it hasn't been set in traditions, and the members are more individualistic - if one was inclined to train and use a saberstaff, they would be allowed to.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by idontlikegeorge

But in any case, I will hold my opinion that in the era of the new Jedi, since it hasn't been set in traditions, and the members are more individualistic - if one was inclined to train and use a saberstaff, they would be allowed to.

For what it's worth. In the SW RPG or one of the source books, it talks about how at Lukes jedi academy they don't hold with many of the old Jedi Orders traditions, and that the New Republic era jedi are allowed to do things they could never do in the Old Republic.

Like getting married and such. It didn't list what exactly all he changed, just that many of the old traditions no longer were followed.

would the majority of Jedi even know there was such a thing as a double-bladed lightsabre? I mean, I'd never even thought of one until Kun,

Personally I thought of the idea back when I was like 8 or so, and always wondered my they hadn't done it. When I saw Kun, I was like "Finally!" It's not like it's too hard to for some Jedi think, "hey, maybe I could duct tape a couple sabers together to see what happens."

If we go with the movies and ignore all the EU stuff, we've seen an entire one staff. Which makes it rare to the point of extinction (now that Maul's dead).

Yeah, but under that logic, up until TMP came out the saberstaff never existed as we never saw in in the original trilogy. However since TPM predates the OT, then it would have existed in the SW universe even though we had yet to see one in the OT. Thus, if GL gets some crazy idea to make a pre-prequil trilogy, then he could saberstaff pre-date Maul. Even without that we still have E3 to reveal more Jedi fun. (Underthat logic, Vader isn't Lukes father in ANH becuase we don't know he is until Empire)

Yeah, my brother and I wrote a short story when we were about 9, about a fleet of cats who fly around the galaxay exterminating dogs (you can tell we were cat-lovers, can't you? :p )

Anyway, we developed this weapon which we called a "light-staff", which is a long staff-like weapon which has no hilt. The whole blade is plasma energy contained in a polarised magnetic field. The wielder wore special gloves which allowed him to hold it. Anything else it touched would be cut in two.

So, when we saw Episode I, we went, "Hey, George used our idea!!"

What was freaky was that the star-fighters we designed were called "Starfurys", which later appeared in Babylon 5. Hehe.

Maybe the trainer uses the staff, instead of the student(s)?

But that would still imply that somebody had to train the trainer in how to use the staff, so that implies that at least some Jedi know how to use one in a (mock) battle, with sufficient skill so as not to kill the trainee (after all, practice dueling would be quite dangerous, and we know they let little kids use fully functional lightsabers from AOTC!).

As to a saberstaff being unknown to the Jedi, that's like having somebody know about single barreled guns, but never having heard of or tried to develope a double barreled gun.

Besides, I find it hard to believe that in 1,000 years no Jedi every went "hmmm, I could weld two of these together and twirl it in my hands..."

Originally posted by Kurgan

with sufficient skill so as not to kill the trainee (after all, practice dueling would be quite dangerous, and we know they let little kids use fully functional lightsabers from AOTC!).

No in mock battles they use training sabers which can be set to a certain level which sets how much it stings. And I assume the kids were using training sabers too.

Originally posted by FurionStormrage

Except for that little part at the end when he got cut in two by a single Jedi, sorry Padawan. :D "Ooo, that's GOTTA hurt!"

Yeah, well..there is the suspension of disbelief thing. Maul had to die because that was in the story. It's just that I can't believe that Maul would just stand there while Obi-Wan propels himself out of a 15 foot pit, does a flip over Maul's head, and lands...THEN he cuts. It didn't fit at all with the fighting ability we had seen from Maul for the entire fight. I would have been more accepting if Obi-Wan had overpowered Maul with sheer determination. As it was, I don't see one reason why Maul wouldn't have just slashed and rolled as Obi came out of the pit.

As far as the lightstaff origins go..it's hardly important. Sidious made sure Maul was steeped in Sith tradition and knowledge and no doubt the name Exar Kun came up as well as information about the lightstaff he used. Unless they make yet another Prequel to the prequels, I don't think the movies will shed light. I would like to see another staff user in the movies though.

No in mock battles they use training sabers which can be set to a certain level which sets how much it stings. And I assume the kids were using training sabers too.

Student: wtf I h1t U 9999 times ^& U nevAr d1e!! omg n3rf3d bs??!!111

Master: j00 R a L4m3r 1t 1s h0n0rÞb3. (lol pwn3d, what a n00b!)

KURGAN ! You ARE the man !

But then in ANH Infinities the Royal Guardsmen use them and they're not Sith etc etc

I thought you were just a crazy fps gamer who gets off on pings and booting flamers off the forum - who would've thought you were EU guru ! You gotta be into EU if you know and quote 'Infinities' facts... !!! I wouldn't even dare do that, and I'm a sucker for EU!!

But yes, EU has to be taken with a grain of salt... Its just becomes so hard, there is sooo much SW stuff out there that making a decision about 'canon or not' is a huge one. This is why I love NJO so much, because over the 19 book story arc it has incorporated so much EU from diverse sources, even our man kyle....

Speaking of obscure quotes, I remember reading 'Darth Maul's Journal' which was a kids book which got released during the TPM deluge... It was written in first person perspective by maul(and finished by sidious after maul got sliced)...Its actually quite cool, as Maul talks about his childhood and adolescence training w Sidious. In it Maul wrote that he chose the saberstaff as his weapon due to his admiration of an 'sith master from long ago'....

Yes, GL openly mentions the saberstaff, this is somewhere in the TPM DVD special features. It was in the TPM script from the start, and it was ''an idea that has been done before''

great thread !

MTFBWYA

Luc Solar stated -

Darth Maul kept a diary!? LOL! .. that's just ...not right. That's like "Poems by Mike Tyson" - it shouldn't exist

HAHAHAHA !!!!! Well, actually Mike Tyson did say he was going to eat Evander Holyfield's children, not unlike the big bad wolf in the fairy tales of old........ :p

MTFBWYA

I have a theory about the different sabre colours. I'm sure I'm not the only one that realises the Jedi are very similar to the samurai of Japan right?

The Lightsabre is very close to the Katana in many aspects. Now with Katana, they were works of art. The best smiths made their blades to look absolutely gorgeous. Their hilts especially - but even their blades had a wavy kind of design on them (the design of this pattern differed on the smiths). And the handles were quite decorative too.

What’s to say that the Jedi didn't make their sabres to be decorative too? Their hilt is personally customised and designed aesthetically after all. Why can't the colour chosen just be a further extension of their "personalised" weapon?

The reason you see so many blue or green sabres could just be they were simply the most popular colour by far as lets face it - they look quite delicious. Mace might just have a penchant for purple - and on a side note: Sam L Jacko chose purple because he had a penchant for purple too. So that fits in that the Jedi chose the colour based on their aesthetic choices, not "mechanical" reasoning or something else.

Of course its just a theory.

From what I've heard, lightsabers used to come in all kinds of different colors during the Old Republic, green, yellow, orange, blue, etc etc. However, somewhere between there and Episode I a huge catastrophe took place (possibly the razing of Ossus, see the comic, Knights of the Old Republic-The Sith War) that made it virtually impossible for Jedi to find crystals other than blue and green, which were the most commonly found crystals.

As for the double bladed lightsabers, the Dark Side Sourcebook states that while some light Jedi have constructed some as experiments, "The Jedi Council dissapproves of such experiments, though, noting that the only reason to carry such a weapon is to kill more effectively." Fortunately for us, this probably means nothing to Luke, or the programmers at LucasArts, heheh :D

payce

Butt_Whisper wrote:

In my crayon box, next to my Star Wars lunchbox, there is a black crayon: so, i beg to differ, black IS a color!!

I'm afraid you don't get the point: colors mean light of different frequencies. White is what you get when you combine all colors of light while black is the pure absence of all light. So you can never ever have such a thing as black light.

And since it is called a Lightsaber you won't find one in black.

obijonkenobi wrote:

I'm sure I'm not the only one that realises the Jedi are very similar to the samurai of Japan right?

There are always many Jedi per master? Jedi take their life before they are forced to live without honor? Jedi wield a smaller Light-tanto if they aren't using their Light-Katana?

Sorry, but I really don't see where jedi are like samurai - besides the usual Katana-hype that is...

[offtopic]

Actually, black is the closest to true color.

Whenever we call something yellow, the yellow object in fact, absorbs every color in the spectrum but yellow - we see the yellow color of the spectrum reflect from the object. So, a yellow object is technically every color but yellow.

Whereas a black object, does absorb all light, and therefore the object is in fact, black. Of course, the object can be called, "all colors" or some such, by that logic. :p

But of course, there are very few pure-black objects in the universe, and if the human eye can see something as "black," it does infact reflect some of the light spectrum (or else you couldn't see it!).

[/offtopic]

Let's see, a made up fantasy weapon in a fantasy universe that doesn't exist, that's never truly explained how it works (using made up physics and technology we don't have in our world), and you say it CAN'T be this or that?

The only thing we know is that George says blue/green/purple for good guys and red for bad guys in his films, that's it.

If an EU author put a black blade in one of his stories, it would be "official" right then and there, 'nuff said.

An "in-universe" explanation for the saber colors is probably just that the Jedi and the Sith have a tradition of using certain colors for sabers, and prior to that time or after or by other "saber user groups" no such tradition may exist or a different one. In the EU generally (with few exceptions, now thrown into confusion due to Lucas's decision in AOTC) has been that its personal preference for the user.

It's sort of like how in Medieval times there wasn't just silver or gold colored armor, but also black, blue, and red (using various metallurgical processes and techniques.. not painted).

idontlikegeorge wrote

If the human eye can see something as "black," it does infact reflect some of the light spectrum (or else you couldn't see it!).

Not true. You see "black" if you look at a spot that emmits no light at all. It does not have to reflect light to appear black. Close your eyes and have a look: there is no light (unless you try it in front of a light source of course ;) ) but you still see black.

Kurgan wrote:

Let's see, a made up fantasy weapon in a fantasy universe that doesn't exist, that's never truly explained how it works

Sure, you are right there.

I wouldn't mind some sort of black energy sword (miniature black hole thing that tears everything apart it touches for example) but since it's black and not sending out any kind of light it would be so stupid if someone called it a lightsaber, don't you think?

Well, now that this discussion has turned into art class, i beleive that there could be a black "light" saber. It would not have to be some blackhole death wileding energy weapon, instead it could be used for party tricks, 60's "love-ins", or just to make everyones teeth and eyes trun floresant green/yellow;similar to the effects of a black light. Who's to say that light has the same effects in the star wars universe as it does in reality.

"I see a red saber and I want it painted black, no colors in sabers anymore, I want them to turn black"..... Jick Magger, Solling Rones (LOL)

Archived