Home

Negative feedback stinks...

-=FB=-Jagged

Maybe it is just me, but I hate reading all the people's posts about how crappy this aspect or that feature on JA is. Then reviews are released, and the game gets a 3/5. I mean, I paid $50 for this game, and now, because of other people's opinions, I'm starting to feel just a little ripped off.

Some complain about the lack of good boss fights, others the lack of avatar voice choices, and still others the lack of a playable Academy in Jedi Academy. These are things I would have missed had I not read their posts.

Now, I'm by no means saying I regret joining jediknight.net. Heck, they helped me open my cable gateway to play online! What I am saying is that three weeks ago, when I was on this site, I saw that JA was released. I was so excited. I knew not that it was on its way. I downloaded the demo and beat it. Immediately I hit the store and bought the game. I beat that within two days. I was impressed by the things that Raven and LucasArts did right on this game...the graphics were great, as were the sound effects. The controls were just as good as JO, and the Force powers were freaking amazing! The storyline was a fairly good yarn, and the ability to choose between the dark and the light may not have been what it was originally cracked up to be, but it served it's purpose: it gave you two different endings.

Hopefully, those of you out there who have been disillusioned by the negative comments and reviews will appreciate once again the great FPS we have in front of us. It had a tough act to follow in JO, and it was, from the sound of it, played up a little too much.

Cut the game's creators a break. They outdid themselves with JO. It must be amazingly difficult to outdo yourself twice in a row.

I agree, Jagged, JA is an excellent game, even better than JO. (my previous favorite game) I don't care what anyone says, Raven did a great job with both games. I'm sure many members would agree with me on that. However, people always want more, it's human nature. Hence the discussions on what could "be improved." (I'll be the first to admit I do it from time to time) Such discussions are inevitable, as there is no such thing as a perfect game.

What I don't understand is how people can get cynical and say "Raven did a horrible job...etc." I would like to see anyone who says that to create a Star Wars game as professional as JO and JA from scratch. Besides, if you want to tweak the game, isn't that what mods are for?;)

It's interesting that you should post this, as I was going to post a similar thread. Seems like we think along the same lines. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to play the excellent unmodified JA game without any mods, because it's that freakin' good.

(though I will download mods from time to time;) )

Hardly negative. Actually, I was not betting on finding someone who agrees with me so quickly.

And i might now refine my previous statements. :) I guess I don't really mind the negative comments, but the cynicism is irritating. Raven doesn't suck. LucasArts doesn't suck. JA does not suck. Overall they turn out fine games and made a good one with JA. Take it for what it is--

-- or mod the CRAP out of it! :D

Lol Jagged's mom must've said to him a few too many times "If you've got nothing good to say..." ;)

Jagged, reviews aren't supposed to hype games; they're supposed to be honest so people will know whether they should buy them or not. Any review that leaves out the negative isn't a review. If those things the reviews say don't bother you, buy the game. If they do, check other reviews for different opinions.

People (outside of reviews) give negative feedback in hopes the developers will hear. The more you let people know what you want and expect the better they can serve you.

While you may be content with the game as is, you can't expect others to ignore their own feelings. People have different standards. JO left high expectations for JA to be an astonishingingly good game. Many people (including myself) couldn't help but feel disappointed. We expect much more from a game that costs $50. But if you're content with what you got, why should it matter whether we're not? You can't expect us just be silent in the face of such a disappointment. If you don't like what we say, ignore us and keeping playing your game.

Dude you totally missed it. Completely over your head. As I recall, I said I agree with many of the things that are brought up as lacking, I just hadn't missed them until I heard the whining. I would like an Academy level, too, and I want more voices, and better characters and cooler boss fights. I also agree that complaining about the things the makers missed is the only way that the game developers can find out about how they did. (And I hope two or three read this thread and appreciate how I'm sticking up for them! :rolleyes: ) And I am not trying to silence my fellow Academy students. Complain if you want! Heck, complain 24/7! Cry yourself to sleep! Good grief..."keep you silent in the face of such a disappointment"? How in the heck would I begin to silence you IF I wanted to... :eyeraise:

I just wish that people would stop and think about what they're saying. Jedi Academy is a good game. And yes, it has it's shortcomings, and no, it is NOT perfect, but that does not mean that it just plain sucks or the developers did a crappy job on it. People will tell you that Greymon. Like you said, you read because you want to know what quality of game it is.

All I'm saying is that as good as this game REALLY is, you'd think that there would be more people praising it, not tearing it to pieces with very little to back up their statements. This type of CYNICAL negative feedback, where EVERYTHING sucks, is crap.

And if you talk about my dear sweet mother again... :tank1:

LoL - just kidding...

Well, you're no doubt aware by this time about how vocal I have been about the game's perceived 'shortcomings'. But I'm ready to admit they are my own 'perceptions', and not necessarily right or wrong. ;)

As far as Raven goes...they've done a good job in the time available. I can see where a lot of time has gone on improving the graphics, the saber combat, and introducing things like the Swoop and 'tram' levels. You're right...they've done a great job, and Jedi Academy (SP) is a good game. I'd easily give it a score of between 80-85%.

It just feels to me that they only 'touched' on what was actually possible, and that's where the disappointment lies. I wanted them to take that extra step, refine it further, add another layer of polish. Because I know it is 'possible'.

Other than that, I have no regrets buying the game. It's fun, it's a decent length on the right difficulty level, and in parts quite challenging. I'm also enjoying playing MP online (apart from Jedi Outcast and Rune, it's one of the few games I've actually played for any amount of time online).

So I applaud Raven for all their hard work, and Lucasarts for making this game possible.

But in way of a small caveat...I hope that someone takes time to sit down and read some of the (mostly constructive) criticism about all of the games in this series, and that the devs try even harder next time to build not just a very good game, but an exceptional game.

Stormhammer, it seems I can count on you for an insightful, levelheaded, and above all, truthful opinion. (And when you at least half-agree with me... heck! All the better! :D )

I also would hope that the true critics out there are heard by the developers, so that gamers will benefit from a greater Jedi experience in any games to come.

The MP in JA is awesome, I think. There are some issues with the damage and how something that looks like a hit ISN'T, but in my case it seems like right after I'm done in rather cheaply, I'll get a lame kill on someone else, i.e. - chop their foot and they die. That aspect doesn't bother me too much.

What do you guys think about the MP?

Just back up what you say...

Archived