Home

Dismemberment Mod Released

Starfire13

Great, exactly what I was waiting for to begin my second walkthrough! :)

However, I have one request:

Could you add a small comment to the readme (and post here of course :D ) how your mod is affected by the "sabermorerealistic", "dismemberment" and dismemberprobability" variables? Are default settings required? Or is your mod simply overriding these settings?

My mod, similar to Enyak's mod for JO, does not over-ride the settings you mentioned. It merely increases the chance of having a piece lopped off on the finishing blow to 100%. It also allows you to chop off heads, cut enemies in two, etc.

It doesn't happen with every single kill, it seems, though it is far more regularly seen now than previously. And of course, sending a stormie's head flying off his shoulders is fun!

Hmm Odd...

Are you suppose to type anything in to activate the dismemberment more then it already is? Do you have to mod the mod? I just downloaded it and played through 2 SP levels. I counted how many times I dismembered. It wasn't very much. I cut off 2 heads, 5 legs, 3 mid riffs, and 10 arms. I killed allot of NPCs most of the time getting nothing.

Is there something else I need to do, because that's about the same number of dismemberments I got without the mod. Except they were hands or arms only. I guess I'm just expecting something to fly when my saber goes across a head or through a body...:o

Yes, that seems to be a problem that I have encountered too. As far as I can tell, body parts should be flying. It seems that JA's coding for dismemberment takes more things into account than JO's.

I will continue to look into this, and attempt to increase the frequency of dismemberments. If anyone has any ideas on the scarcity of dismemberments (compared to JO), please do let me know.

I'm guessing it's due to the fact that dismemberments are for some reason no longer possible after the first piece has come off the model.

In the mean time, do enjoy the mod. It's still fun to chop the occasional head off. :p

Here's a completely untested theory. Perhaps it has something to do with a certain amount of overkill? That would explain why using the desktop icon cheat for full dismemberment also vastly increases the saber damage, and also why katas and saber throws seem to succeed in dismembering more often than normal swipes. In my case, a very good portion of the dismemberment I get when using the method employed by your mod is the result of an extra attack after the enemy is dead but before they hit the ground.

Originally posted by Stafire13

Yes, that seems to be a problem that I have encountered too. As far as I can tell, body parts should be flying. It seems that JA's coding for dismemberment takes more things into account than JO's.

I will continue to look into this, and attempt to increase the frequency of dismemberments. If anyone has any ideas on the scarcity of dismemberments (compared to JO), please do let me know.

I'm guessing it's due to the fact that dismemberments are for some reason no longer possible after the first piece has come off the model.

In the mean time, do enjoy the mod. It's still fun to chop the occasional head off. :p

Hey man, thanks so much for the mod it is exactly what I was looking for. I don't think anything should be changed, If you time your hits correctly "YOU WILL GET PLENTY DISMEMBERMENT" I EVEN MANAGE TO CHOP OFF A WAMPA'S HEAD. But I quess for those who want even more dismemberment, thats cool , I guess thats what is great about the possibilty of modding, so everyone can be happy. I have also noticed more dismemberment with katas and when you use force speed to place a well placed shot.

Once again thanks so much for the mod.

P>S Now if we can only find a way to chop off that Dam boba_fett's head>:) I went into his file and added the dismemberment lines but the problem is you can't kill him.:rolleyes:

I honestly haven't even tried your mod yet, but with g_dismember 100 (in Multiplayer) I've noticed lately that I can cut people into more than just two parts.

I've (against people using the Boba Fett model) cut them into three parts (head, torso, legs)!

Also spawning NPC's into MP (if the server has cheats enabled) I've cut them into piles of bits (two legs, two arms, torso, head).

Originally posted by CastleBravo

OK, dumb question: how do I get mods for JA to work? I stick the .pk3 in the appropriate directory, but it doesn't show up under the Mod menu.

:confused:

A simple PK3 file mod just goes in your "Game data/base folder." Most mods will and you don't have to activate them. If the instructions say to make a folder and put it in your "game data folder" then you have to activate it in the mod window. For a mod like is on this thread you will need to stick it in your "BASE folder"....... Is that clear enough?:o

But you didn't really modify anything. You just changed some settings already in the game.

By releasing a "mod" with your name on it is only going to give undue credit to you and confuse players.

It would be much better to make, or help make, a text file that explains what people can do to get the dismemberment to work.

Originally posted by razorace

you didn't really modify anything. You just changed some settings already in the game.

mod·i·fy

v. mod·i·fied, mod·i·fy·ing, mod·i·fies

v. tr.

1. To change in form or character; alter.

v. intr.

To be or become modified; change.

:rolleyes:

Oh, yeah. Grammar leasons from Jar Jar Binks. :p

Anyway, I checked the files Starfire edited, and didn't realize that the dismemberment probabilities were now controlled by external data files.

Altering all the files is a bit above most player's attention span, so I guess this is acceptable in this case. I'm sorry for misinterpretting the amount of effort required to change dismemberment in JKA.

Just a few modder tips for you. You're using a weird folder structure for your zip file. The standard structure we normally use nowadays automatically assumes that you unzip to your JKA directory.

In addition, it's much favorable to install your mods as seperate folders in the /gamedata instead of putting everything into the /base folder. I understand that some forms of modding (especially for SP) require you to put stuff in the /base folder but it's best to avoid it if you can. Having everything in your /base folder spells trouble very quickly.

Razorace, I created the mod as I didn't think there were many players which would bother to change the dismemberment probablieites for every single npc in the game. As you mentioned, these are now in seperate files. ;)

Thanks for the tips on seperating the mods into individual folders. As I have had no previous modding experience, I didn't know about this. If I crete any more mods, or update those that I have made, I'll do as you suggest.

• 1 year later...

In addition, it's much favorable to install your mods as seperate folders in the /gamedata instead of putting everything into the /base folder. I understand that some forms of modding (especially for SP) require you to put stuff in the /base folder but it's best to avoid it if you can. Having everything in your /base folder spells trouble very quickly.

i wonder if that's why the 'battle over coruscant' maps always crash my game.. hmm.. also, if you don't put the pk3 files in your 'base' folder, I didn't think they'd just show up.. do you then have to select them from the MODS section of the setup menu in the game? (this makes sense)

I have another related question too.. one of my kids moved some files around and got rid of some folders. I still have all the files, but I don't remember what sort of folder structure they went in. If somebody could remind me, I would be really grateful :)

C:\Program Files\LucasArts\Star Wars Jedi Knight Jedi Academy\GameData

Within GameData there should be a "base" folder, and a folder for each mod you have installed or that was running on a server you joined. So in addition to "base" there might be folders named "japlus", "reload", "ForceMod_III", etc.

Also within GameData are the game executable files: jasp.exe, jamp.exe, and supporting .dll files.

Within the "base" folder are your assets?.pk3 files and various .cfg files, .dll files, along with any downloaded .pk3 files that you added.

OK, I can't access the file to check, so I guess I'd better ask. How have you done this, is it just editing the npc files? I did that for JO and it works, but since they split up the npcs to separate files, I was reluctant to do it in JA (Find and replace all are your friends).

Archived