Home

"Capture the Ysalimari" (CTY)... in JA? How?

Kurgan

Just for the heck of it, while I was hosting my server last night (with nobody joining) I fired up Gamespyarcade just to see if my server was listed.

Of course it wasn't, despite my repeated attempts (sigh).

I did notice one thing interesting though... in the JA servers list they had on GS, there were a bunch of servers that were listed as gametype "Capture the Ysalimari."

Now I remember CTY was a gametype in Jedi Outcast, identical to CTF except the flags had Ysalimari's on them to negate force for the Flag Carrier.

Are these folks using mods? Because I looked all over the 'net on popular JA mod sites and found nothing.

Or is this a "hidden" gamemode I just haven't tried with a cvar?

Any help is appreciated...

Did you actually try connecting to any of those CTY servers to see if it was actually CTY?

Reason I ask is GSA is not quite as accurate as ASE or qtracker when it comes to listing details of quake 3 engine games.

I’ve had quake 3 servers list a certain mod in GSA, but when I connect it’s something different.

I’ve had our JK2 duel server show up with different listings than what was in our config, etc.

It may just have been the GSA master reading JK2 CTY servers but displaying them on your JA room/list.

I can read JA servers through the GSA JK2 room so I assume it could be the same but just the other way around for some people.

I assumed it might be a glitch (using old JK2 data) and yes I did try to connect... all of them timed out (most were pretty high ping wise to me).

Some guy in the chat told me it was a "mod" but maybe he was just BSing or didn't really know.

Originally posted by Kurgan

I assumed it might be a glitch (using old JK2 data) and yes I did try to connect... all of them timed out (most were pretty high ping wise to me).

Some guy in the chat told me it was a "mod" but maybe he was just BSing or didn't really know.

Its a glitch, it calls Siege mode, CTF. Take a look.

In JKII: Jedi Outcast, CTF was gametype 7 and CTY was gametype 8. In Jedi Academy, Siege is gametype 7 and CTF is gametype 8. They also changed Team FFA from gametype 5 to gametype 6. Who knows why Raven didn't keep it consistent, probably just wanted to make things harder for those of us running both JK2 and JA servers. But Gamespy is probably using the JK2 gametypes in JA. So Siege is showing as CTF and CTF is showing as CTY.

Originally posted by Kurgan

Okay. Sigh... here for a second I was hoping that somebody had ported CTY. : (

Thanks for explaining guys!

I'm still running 1 map of CTY on my JK2 server. As far as I know it is the only server that still offers CTY. Since it comes between two CTF maps, the players usually stick around and play it, so you can sometimes get 10-20 people playing CTY. Use All Seeing Eye and watch 64.246.58.228. If you see it is a CTF game (g_gametype 7)on ctf_bespin, there is a 50% chance the next map will be CTY on ctf_yavin. Make sure it is CTF on ctf_bespin though, because I also use ctf_bespin for Holocron FFA and Jedimaster games.

Archived