Home

Define "LAMING"

Luc Solar

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Rumor wrote:

Considering 99% of the servers in jk2/jk3 are exactly the same, i say go shove a jackhammer down your throat and turn it on if you have any more "bright" ideas that you wish to enlighten us with.

LOL. Just because you don't like my opinion I'm not going to shut up. This is a public board and I have a right to write down what I believe.

You don't have to like what I write, you don't have to believe any of it is true and you don't even have to read it. But be assured: I won't shut up because you are to much of an egoist to see the rights of other players (yeah, exactly: those 99% of lamers out there also bought the game) - or users in this forum...

You don't solve a problem by stating that you are right and everyone else is wrong - it simply won't work (even IF you are right it won't!). But that's exactly what you do Rumor.

I know I am going to be flamed for what I am going to write now but know what? I don't care:

If 99% if the servers out there are full of whiners, jerks, and a*******, this probably means that 99% of the people out there enjoy being what you call a lamer. Which means that 99% of all kids buying this game won't have any problems NOT fragging someone with StarWars weapons but chat instead. (And now lets be realistic and forget this 99% crap)

For all of you who disagreed with my opinion: my conclusion seems to be right after all. Or how do you explain that there are hardly any of these problems on Amidala's Server (which is labeled as I suggested all servers should be)?

I made an analysis of what's wrong and tried to give and idea of how it could be solved instead of just whining because I got kicked off 20 servers in row.

I hate whiners and lamers more than anything else in JA but I just ignore them but there's just 1 freaking move that I can't ignore and that's the butterfly attack with staff -_- you got to admit it's the lamest attack ever in a game (it touches you once and it kills you instantly),even if you're one of the most skilled players out there in JA it still kills you and it's very whorish (that it can't be easily whored/overused)

Amidala from Chop Shop makes a very good point.

It is not isolated to "if you don't like their rules, don't play on their server" situations.

These "honor" people are like parasites, they are everywhere.

Look at Amidala's server, he/she openly posted the rules for everyone to see, the saber off = peace stuff here does not fly.

But I guarantee you if voting was enabled those whiny honor noobs would have voted every single person on the server who *was obeying the rules, right off of it.

This is why honor people are mocked and harassed by players.

If you people would just stick to private severs and never try to enforce that crap on people, chances are you would be left alone.

But you go to public and private servers where those stupid little fairy tales rules are not taken seriously, and you *do try to enforce them on other players.

Originally posted by Kusanavi

I hate whiners and lamers more than anything else in JA but I just ignore them but there's just 1 freaking move that I can't ignore and that's the butterfly attack with staff -_- you got to admit it's the lamest attack ever in a game (it touches you once and it kills you instantly),even if you're one of the most skilled players out there in JA it still kills you and it's very whorish (that it can't be easily whored/overused)

You do realize that you're whining about a move that has been put into the game right now, right? Didn't you just say you hate whiners?

It's very easy to dodge a butterfly anyways. It's just like the JK2 DFA. Move out of the way when you see it coming, if you don't move then well, you're screwed.

Amidala from Chop Shop wrote:

Private duels have been turned OFF (go to a duel server if you want to duel)

That's gotta be the silliest thing I ever heard...

Why do you think they included duels in FFA?

So people can duel!

Tss

And why are people so negative here in the boards?

Are you big fans of the UT games?

Originally posted by Master William

That's gotta be the silliest thing I ever heard...

Why do you think they included duels in FFA?

So people can duel!

Tss

Why do you think Raven made the g_privateDuel cvar available, hmmmm? So admins like me can set it to 0 ZERO ZIP NADA

Every map loading screen has a different MOTD, and one of them says "Dueling is for Duel servers, this is FFA and CTF". An automated message says "Dueling is disabled, dueling with one-hit kill lightsabers is pointless".

Actually, that isn't entirely accurate. I used to run a JK2 dueling server with increased saber damage and very high saber-locking frequency. A lot of people preferred it because you didn't have to wait so long for the duels to finish, it was a quick 2 out of 3 each round. It was more challenging because you couldn't just flail away and leave yourself open to attack, because that meant instant death. And unlike most duel servers where 90% used Red stance, all three stances could kill so you saw people using all three stances successfully. But people used to JK2 1.04 weak lightsabers couldn't adapt and therefore called it "gay" and quit.

Just played at the second server...

Nice, but the only thing I disliked was the heavy saber damage.

I had no chance to even shoot my opponents, because I was instantly slashed at a 0.1 second ;)

I did like the mix of different gametypes, also the dismemberment was very funny :)

Try moving around and strafe jumping to avoid being slashed by sabers... It's your own fault if you get slashed apart when a saberist is running at you with his saber flailing. Try putting some distance between you and your target.

Just played at the second server...

Nice, but the only thing I disliked was the heavy saber damage.

I had no chance to even shoot my opponents, because I was instantly slashed at a 0.1 second ;)

I did like the mix of different gametypes, also the dismemberment was very funny :)

There is a player who comes by the servers from time to time, uses the names Buck Futter and [HUMP-U] Law. This guy is amazing. He is on a server with jacked-up saber damage and he doesn't use a saber during the FFA games! He takes the Saber Offense, Defense, and Throw points he saves and uses them for Force powers. He is constantly in motion, using guns and Force only, and owns pretty good players that have sabers in addition to guns and Force. He used every weapon available including mines, det packs, thermals, etc.

Then it changed to CTF but he just used a single saber Red Stance, guns, and Force and outscored everyone. So it is possible to win on my servers if you are fast and good with guns, despite the increased saber damage.

Originally posted by Amidala from Chop Shop

Actually, that isn't entirely accurate. I used to run a JK2 dueling server with increased saber damage and very high saber-locking frequency.

I've played with saberdamage set to 2 in duels, and I much perfer it. It's not always 1 hit kills it's 2-3 hit kills, but 1 hit kills are quite possable. But it is much better gameplay IMO.

What's the cvar to increase the chance of saber locking?

Originally posted by Vanor

I've played with saberdamage set to 2 in duels, and I much perfer it. It's not always 1 hit kills it's 2-3 hit kills, but 1 hit kills are quite possable. But it is much better gameplay IMO.

What's the cvar to increase the chance of saber locking?

seta g_saberLocking "1"

seta g_saberLockFactor "20"

The first cvar enables saber locks during duels. The second determines the frequency, and 20 is the maximum according to Raven.

By the way, thanks for that very interesting history lesson about the origins of "saber off = peace". It's amazing how something that started out reasonable and practical has been blown all out of proportion by overzealous fanatical teenage boys into an "honor code" religion.

The first cvar enables saber locks during duels. The second determines the frequency, and 20 is the maximum according to Raven.

Cool thanks :)

By the way, thanks for that very interesting history lesson about the origins of "saber off = peace".

No prob :) It sometimes helps to know how things used to be, to help understand how they are now.

It seems to me, what happened, was some of us old timers, brought that into JO when we started playing that. Then it got corupted into what it is now... A really stupid idea.

Back in the days of JK, saber off did mean you weren't fighting... But if you turned it off thinking you could run and get some health packs, all you got for it, was a saber in the back, with everyone else commenting on how lame you were.

Running for healthpacks in JK duels, was considered "dishonorable" :)

Running for health packs never mattered much in jk1 though, it was more a waste of time than aything else. Once you were hit it only took one more seconday swing to finish the fight (Unless you're playing a map with armor).

In jk1 I never minded following the "fists=peace" thing.. because I never, in 5 years, saw it abused by anyone, and 99% of the time the guy was properly afk, not just doing it so you wouldn't attack. But in jk2 you see it abused every day by newbies who are about to be killed, and seem to think it will act as a shield for them. So in jk2, saberdown to me is nothing but an easy kill, kthxbie gg etc.

jk2 is an embarassment on jk1 imo, both in player attitude and gameplay really. :(:p

I think we can agree that the only real problem with the "Honor" people is that they think their rules apply to EVERY server, not just the one they are adminning.

Honor codes for dueling in JK1 were somewhat reasonable. There was no bowing or any of that nonsense, it was just saber only, no or neutral force, no healing and one on one until the fight was over. But it made more sense there because JK1 had no Duel Mode, it had no Private Duel option, etc. And this was only for saber dueling, plenty of people played Full Force free for all type battles like we do now. Occasionally people would say "you killed me while I was typing!" but of course there were no "chat boxes" in JK1. Also occasionally somebody would say "fists = peace!" (you couldn't turn your saber off, only switch to fists) but we just laughed these people off usually.... because everybody knew the so-called "peace" guy could easily toss Force Destruction or erect a Protection bubble at any second, so he had to be put down.

; )

Now that JA and JK2 HAVE those options, there is no reason to make up honor codes except to make the game restricted and boring because "honor" people hate to lose and look bad in front of their friends.

On my server (Amidala, it sounds like we share a lot of ideas in common, cool!) I run with debugmelee 1, normal game speed, full force, normal regen, saberdamagescale 2, normal blocking, and I rotate all maps in a game type (the only gametype I rarely host is Team FFA... maybe I should change that).

I have also found that saberdamagescale 2 is more fun for duels. It feels and flows better, you don't have to wait so long, and its a little more realistic (in-universe).

I don't recognize the "honor" rules.

Somebody needs to get Artifex out here with his Anti Saberist Code (ASC). Rad Blackrose joined my server with the tag... made me proud. ; )

I bought this game to enjoy what it has to offer, not limit myself to 1% of the gameplay because some random strangers decided I should.

I agree that playing on another person's server obliges you to obey their rules (no matter how silly) or leave.

I also object to the "mob rule" mentality that makes people think they can just get together and vote kick anybody for any reason. Voting is a nice feature if the admin isn't there, but it's sorely abused by people like this to kick folks for "laming" (ie: winning and not obeying their made up "honor" codes).

Honor codes like their's are totally anti-competative and frankly anti-starwars, so I'm all for weanining people off them. Who knows... they just might have more fun?

I just don't understand why people would want to kill people with their sabers down / AFK / rocket spam while they're saber duelling someone else, etc. There's no challenge, skill, or kudos for doing it.

To me the fun of an FFA is taking on two or three people on even terms and winning through skill. And I'm probably pretty good at it since I win 90% of FFA games, usually by a hefty margin. I don't kill people with sabers down (although, people who turn them off because they know they're screwed or want to launch a surprise attack get killed), I use a single saber, I don't use guns, or dark force powers - usually just absorb, heal, push, speed.

I don't really mind people 'laming', since it's funny as hell pushing a rocket back in their face or flattening them with a DFA or lunge as they run in flailing their staff/dual sabers wildly (or run in backwards in the case of dual sabers - what did we learn about a 1 hit kill backstab in JO, eh Raven?). I don't mind lamers spamming butterfly attacks or saber shields either, since they constitute about half my kills.

It's more the whining, than the laming, that irritates.

- id

Originally posted by Tsaya

LOL. Just because you don't like my opinion I'm not going to shut up. This is a public board and I have a right to write down what I believe.

You don't have to like what I write, you don't have to believe any of it is true and you don't even have to read it. But be assured: I won't shut up because you are to much of an egoist to see the rights of other players (yeah, exactly: those 99% of lamers out there also bought the game) - or users in this forum...

You don't solve a problem by stating that you are right and everyone else is wrong - it simply won't work (even IF you are right it won't!). But that's exactly what you do Rumor.

I know I am going to be flamed for what I am going to write now but know what? I don't care:

If 99% if the servers out there are full of whiners, jerks, and a*******, this probably means that 99% of the people out there enjoy being what you call a lamer. Which means that 99% of all kids buying this game won't have any problems NOT fragging someone with StarWars weapons but chat instead. (And now lets be realistic and forget this 99% crap)

For all of you who disagreed with my opinion: my conclusion seems to be right after all. Or how do you explain that there are hardly any of these problems on Amidala's Server (which is labeled as I suggested all servers should be)?

I made an analysis of what's wrong and tried to give and idea of how it could be solved instead of just whining because I got kicked off 20 servers in row.

oh we aren't whining. thats your job, remember?

OMFG I GOT KILLD BY HIZ LEET KATA OMFG OMG OMG!@!#

OMG DFA MUST B FIXD

NO GRIP KICKING ******!!!@#!@#

etc.

and you can write down all you like. just leave the typing to the people who know what they are talking about (dare i say f*ing n00b?).

there were around 800 jk2 servers before JA came out.

out of those tell me of 20 that did not come with those ****** rules and 2 year old admins along with them.

ill get you started.

g//ffa

both chopshops

fluxgateway

=X=

diverse

ms3

s~

fk1

fk2

sd

afc

Game, Set, and Match. Thanks for playing.

Originally posted by Rad Blackrose

I'd subtract shockwave's server, because it became fk's first server when they merged.

I only remember fk having one server before the fk/shockwave merger.

see below

|

|

|

|

V

The EQ was a sponsered server, the other one Josh (fallen) paid for out of pocket.

the EQ sponsered server is still up, the other two went down when he and I pulled the plug on them.

I never got around to setting up a JA server for our clan because none of us really like it enough to play it much..

:(

Rob (crow) and I just bought a jk2 duel from gaminghost.com for all of the old school players to mess around in until we see if JA gets fixed via patch/mod.

Well, I can honestly say I've not encountered many difficulties online yet. I've not really had any run-ins with egomaniacal server admins, or Honor-junkies spouting reams of useless nonsense because they got killed.

I did encounter a 'team-killer' in a Seige server recently, and quite rightly he got kicked. He kept coming back, though, so we had to keep voting him off. That kind of idiot is an obvious 'lamer' who obviously delights in ruining the game for everyone else.

I did actually kill a couple of team-mates myself, purely by accident. Each time, I apologised, and we just got on with the rest of the game.

The only time I bow or taunt is on a Duel server - and only if someone bows to me first. I tend to ignore people who are chatting, to be honest - mostly because it takes no effort to kill them - although if I can see that a particular player is constantly chatting throughout a game, then I kill them. If you want to do a lot of 'chatting', then use ICQ, or MSN, or anthing else, just go somewhere else and let another 'player' onto the server.

I also completely ignore any insults that may be directed at me. It's pointless arguing with someone who just wants to spout meaningless garbage. I'll play whatever game mode the way it's meant to be played, and if people can't deal with that, it's their problem not mine.

And it was great playing on your server, Kurgan. ;)

Ah it brings a tear to my eye to see so many old Promod Fellas in one thread bringng on the funny.

Luc seems like you're reviving the old ASC. Can't wait to see the players react the same way as the responses to this thread.

I'd like to post a note to admins: IF YOU WANT A NO FORCE GAME STOP HOSTING FULL FORCE OR FORCE ENABLED SERVERS.

I think Luke left out an important player class from this lamer post... the never ending "COMPLAIN ABOUT FORCE DUDE." This player will go into Whine mode when killed by grip/throw/pull/push/kick(nomore)/lightning. He will also connect to THE ONLY FULL FORCE DUEL SERVER with people on it and start to say "NO FORCE PLZ."

argh

Originally posted by ksk h2o

I'd like to post a note to admins: IF YOU WANT A NO FORCE GAME STOP HOSTING FULL FORCE OR FORCE ENABLED SERVERS.

I think Luke left out an important player class from this lamer post... the never ending "COMPLAIN ABOUT FORCE DUDE." This player will go into Whine mode when killed by grip/throw/pull/push/kick(nomore)/lightning. He will also connect to THE ONLY FULL FORCE DUEL SERVER with people on it and start to say "NO FORCE PLZ."

argh

I have automated messages on my servers that say the following:

It's noob to whine about the Force in a Star Wars game. Go play The Sims instead

Originally posted by Luc Solar

Heh, I loved those guys who started a FF duel with: "NO KICKZ NO LUNGE NO RED STANCE NO FORCE NO SABERTHROW NO GROUND KILLING"

I always liked that they have it bound to a key and they took the time to colour all the letters...

What laming means to me is:

Walking around in FFA with saber off, screaming "saber off=peace".

Or when you use guns they scream "gunwhore" or when you push they scream "pushwhore", etc.

Or they constantly whine about ping as an excuse for the fact that they just plain suck.

basically a lamer is a form of troll that occupies game servers. They exist soley to hinder the flow of gameplay and ruin everyone elses game experience.

Archived