Home

Monkey Island "like"

jewel47

Hello All,

My boyfriend bought me the monky island games and I had a blast doing them. This is my first time of playing this type of game. Are they any other game out there that similiar to monkey island? I like the puzzle solving aspect of Monkey Island and I would like another good puzzle game.

I would appreciate if anyone can recommend another good puzzle game!

Thanks

i could give you a comprehensive list, but i'm tired so i'll stick to classic Lucas Arts titles:

Day of the Tentacle

Sam n Max Hit the Road

Full Throttle

Curse of Monkey Island

Grim Fandango

All superb and brilliant in their own right!

Welcome to the Adventure Game genre :)

Loads! Far too many to mention here - here's the edited highlights:

Day of the Tentacle, from LucasArts - almost identical interface to Monkey 2, very funny, has voices and everything. Available on CD-ROM - although perhaps hard to find due to its age.

Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis, also LucasArts - again, a similar interface to Monkey 2, but more 'serious' in tone. Possibly harder to find than DoTT - I'm not really sure!

Grim Fandango, again LucasArts - similar interface to Monkey 4. A fantastic game. The best adventure game ever, in my opinion. Available in the 'LucasArts Entertainment Pack' in Europe, along with a few other excellent adventures - Sam and Max Hit the Road, Full Throttle, and The Dig, all well worth playing.

OK, so I've mentioned just about every single LucasArts adventure made since MI2, but with good reason - they're all great! If you want more general adventure information (including info on new, upcoming adventure games), have a look at Adventure Gamers. Their forum is good too.

There is also:

Discworld 1

Discworld 2

Discworld Noir

Simon the sorcerer 1

simon the sorcerer 2

Simon the sorcere 3D (not very good)

Gilbert goodmate

Flight of the amazon queen

Grim fandango (Brilliant)

Maniac Mansion (older game)

Day of the tentacle

Sam and Max (very funny)

Sam and max freelance police (Out soon)

Broken sword

Broken sword 2

Indiana jones and the fate of atlantis

Indiana jones and the last crusade

Zak mackracken and the alien mindbenders (older game)

Cant really think of many more.

1. It tries painfully hard to be funny, and fails dismally.

2. What excuse it has for a plot is hardly the most surprising or gripping in existence.

3. The puzzles are particularly tired/re-hashed/non-descript

4. A clunky interface leaves me cold

5. Why spend money on this when you could pick up a couple of bricks from your local store and and bang your head between them?

Originally posted by Lemon Head

i wouldn't recommend:

...Maniac Mansion

There's too many ways to die, so many things you can do wrong....I mean, you could play this game from 12 and still...uh, heh. never mind.

I don't consider it a true Lucas Arts game, simply because it has all the pit falls and dead ends of a...a...SEIRRA game...*shudder*

*twitch*good sequel, though...

no its not MI-ishness thing...

Okay, everybody stop hating Maniac Mansion. It is a great game, and let's not forget that it is also the beginning of the SCUMM engine.

As for all of these complaints about dying easy...it doesn't even come close to a Sierra game. It is ten times easier (and ten times more frustrating) to get stuck in Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade. Besides, the ways the your character can die are really funny, and it's pretty hard to die, anyway. And I can think of only a few ways to get stuck...and even with them you can still complete the game.

I command you to play Simon the sorcerer 1 & 2!!

Also Feeble Files is a great and VERY under rated game! It is made by the same company...

There is also a 3rd recent game of simon the sorcerer called simon the sorcerer 3D... In a respect it is good, but only if you get past the bad points... I really managed to get into the game eventually and found it quite enjoyable :)

You can get all of those games here:

http://www.adventuresoft.com/

There are many good adventure games out there, but to limit it to the graphical adventure genre i would suggest

Space quest, leisure suit larry, kings quest, etc... (they are great games, but the fact that u can die in them puts quite a few people off, but all in all they r very well made games :))

try http://lucasarts.com for the old lucas games, but i think they only deliver within the USA :( making it hard for anyone else to get hold of their games...

Most of the lucasarts games have been mentioned above so i wont bother mentioning those again, except for i dont think Zak Mcracken was mentioned, that is an extremely brilliant game as long as u have the patience for it and mange to get past the dated graphics :)

Top 5 in no particular order for me tho wud be (excluding monkey island :))

-Grim Fandango

-Sam n Max hit the road

-Simon 1+2

-Broken sword 1+2

-Day of the tentacle (also includes maniac mansion :))

So yeah, there r many more that i can list... But right now all iwanna add is Discworld, 1 2 and Noir :)

Wow, there are quite a few games out there I always thought adventure game would be someone with a sword and shield going through sword battle. It is ok to laugh at my naivete about this :p

But now I have a great list to start from. I will be building my collection now!

Thanks to you all for your advice! I am off to do some damage to my credit card. Or should I say "use" "credit card" with "clerk" and get "enjoyment".

Ok bad pun :p :p :p

Ah if i had the money i would buy every graphical adventure game in a mint box, in every release form, and put them all in a room with all of the computers required to run these games, and have them all prepared so that i could play any of the games i wanted at any time :D

Ahhh how sad i am :)

Originally posted by Udvarnoky

Okay, everybody stop hating Maniac Mansion. It is a great game, and let's not forget that it is also the beginning of the SCUMM engine.

As for all of these complaints about dying easy...it doesn't even come close to a Sierra game. It is ten times easier (and ten times more frustrating) to get stuck in Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade. Besides, the ways the your character can die are really funny, and it's pretty hard to die, anyway. And I can think of only a few ways to get stuck...and even with them you can still complete the game.

Siighh... i suppose you are correct. And we all know what SCUMM stands for...and what we all owe to SCUMM...

But i MM still doesn't thrill me like other Lucas games do...

*hopes that will not be taken sexually...:¬:*

HEY! chuck the plant!

Maniac Mansion was made because Ron Gilbert and Gary Winnick didn't like how a character could get stuck or die easily in Sierra games. You can die in MM, but not because you went into a wrong door or something, but because, say, you put a bottle of radioactive water into the microwave, heated it, and opened the microwave door afterward. Hey, that's fun, not annoying!

In any case, Maniac Mansion should definately satisfy you sexually.

And yes, Chuck the Plant.

Who needs eBay when the Company store still sells this compilation? (http://www.lucasarts.com/companystore/classicadventures/). They no longer have a link to this page but it still exists and you can still order it. So what are you waiting for everyone? Buy it today!

Originally posted by Udvarnoky

Maniac Mansion was made because Ron Gilbert and Gary Winnick didn't like how a character could get stuck or die easily in Sierra games

I meant, more like, you could forget or not do something correctly or something and never win the game ever afterwards (eg, waste the paint remover, not take stamps off box, ect..)

In any case, Maniac Mansion should definately satisfy you sexually

sick monkey u;)

Probably like getting caught by Edna...

Originally posted by Orca Wail

I meant, more like, you could forget or not do something correctly or something and never win the game ever afterwards (eg, waste the paint remover, not take stamps off box, ect..)

It really depends on which kids you're using for those screw-ups to get you stuck. And as I said before, I found Last Crusade (one of my favorites) to be a lot worse. Forgetting to get that trophy painting in Henry's house, giving the Nazi's the copy of the grail Diary rather than the real one...

Another good one is the "That night before" series. They are ametuer games developed by a guy called scurvyliver (Fate of Monkey island, anyone?) who created them soley so they could be downloaded, so don't think they're pirated or anything. They are very funny, and have a few references to Monkey Island in them. You can download all 4 episodes at http://www.scurvyliver.com

Archived