Home

Monkey Island "like"

jewel47

Hello All,

Thanks again for all the suggestions. For my first order, I got Grim Fandango. It seemed like it was on everyone's must have list. The game should arrive in a few days, but in the meantime I downloaded a free trial of Grim Fandango and it seemed really cool. The only thing that I am having problems getting used to is the fact that objects that can be used don't light up or text appears. In the MI series it was pretty easy to spot items, with Grim it is so hard. I know he turns his head when he sees something, but a few times I have been standing straight in front of something....therefore no head turn. But I am liking the puzzle aspect.

Thanks guys!!!

Yeah, that's something that I'm glad was fixed in EMI. But once you get into the story it doesn't really matter - a bit like the low res on the first two games. :~

Grim Fandango is arguably the best adventure game ever though, so getting it first off is a wise choice! Also, even though it's already been mentioned, I'd like to double recommend Simon The Sorcerer 1 - but make sure you get the talkie version. It has Chris Barrie from Red Dwarf, and "borrows" quite a lot of stuff from the MI games, so you can't go wrong really. :)

Oooh, and if you ask me The Last Express is bloody amazing. Be sure to get it if you can, but you might have to download it or something because the company went bust and thus it's harder to grab hold of than a bar of soap in a tidal wave.

Another adventure game that I like is Myst, although it's really more of a puzzle game than adventure, seeing as there aren't any people to talk to and such. :(

Well, someone said it before, but I'll say it again:

Space Quest. If there's one thing odder than a game character named after a filename, it's a protagonist named after a piece of military lingo.

Roger Wilco. Space Janitor.

And as primitive, frustrating and hard to find as the SQ games are, they are worth it. Sure, you can die, but the death messages...those are something else ("Thanks for playing SQ4! As usual, you've been a real pantload!")

And as they say over on the SQ message boards, Roger is just a teeny little bit like Guybrush (his hair even phases from brown to blonde over the course of the series...uncanny). And his futuristic world is almost like a warped mirror of Guybrush's if you turn your head and squint at it the right way...(and I'm not going to even mention the Used Spaceship Salesman in the first game.)

And it's a nice, funny little game series, all in all.

Akril

"Thank you for purchasing Space Quest 6! You did purchase it, didn't you? Oh, of course you did. You sure couldn't be like one of those weasels who would make ILLEGAL COPIES...you're too cool for that!" --Narrator, SQ6

Archived