Home

SABER AND GUN COLLISION: Is sv_fps the solution?

Emon

I showed Razor Ace, a resident coder that worked on some GHOUL2 stuff for Masters of the Force, the saber collision bug in JA. He speculated that it was because sv_fps was set too low. sv_fps is the rate the world is synched, basically. The number of times per second. Having it too low could result in this problem. He said it should be set to about what most clients would be getting for video framerate, and I think he's right.

On a local server, I set sv_fps to 50, and the saber collided every time. I don't have a real server to test it on, so we would appreciate it if server admins could test it out. 50 to 60 should be about good. The downside, of course, is that it has potential to be laggier. According to him, there's a price for such accurate hit detection to be accurate, and it's lag. So for servers that can't handle this, I'm looking for a way to revert to JO's hitboxes for guns. If anyone knows, please chime in.

Well, it's not nessicarily lag, but it might cause the same types of problems associated with changing the timescale. In addition, this will require more system resources, but the change seems to be minor on the tests I've performed.

It's also possible that there might be some other minor sideeffects (that should be fixable with some code modification when we get the code) including hacked off limbs that seem to jiggle on the ground and AI players that become unstoppable in saberlocks.

In short, you'll get much better saber/bullet hitdetection in exchange for more system hogage and some other possible problems. We'll only know the extent of such problems after some people test this out.

Oh yeah. This isn't a perfect solution, there's issues with server<->lag (not really unavoidable), animation control, recharge times on saber damage, and the saber block code that could be contributing to the problem.

I will be working on all these issues only the MP SDK is out. Please be patient.

If I were you I would ask some SoF 2 server admins what they set their sv_fps rate at (at least until it can be tested on a true JA dedicated server)

That game is ghoul2 dependant as well and I have never had any problems with hit detection in that game.

You never know, maybe they had issues and found ways to deal with them in regards to G2, that may be of help to us.

SoF2 doesn't have anything remotely resembling the lightsaber system (which is the source of all the hit detection issues).

It's an interesting thought, but I don't think it would be any easier than convincing JKA admins. Besides, turning up the sv_fps on a SoF2 server probably won't make much of a difference since bullet physics don't require nearly as much precision as the lightsaber system.

Archived