Home

Shadows of the Empire

Jaden Quade

Was SOTE the best EU creation?  

10 members have voted

1. 1. Was SOTE the best EU creation?

• Hell yes!!!
    • Hell no!!!

SOTE was cool, moreso for the whole multimedia onsluaght that came with it - the games, OST etc.

Still, and with no aplogies, the NJO series is my favourite. You have to admire the planning that has gone into it - 19 books, plus 2 ebooks, almost a dozen authors, all linking in many diverse aspects of the EU. If you can remember at the start of one of the Force heretic books, there is this quote from some obscure leader many would never have heard of before, that was just the authors' way of showing off that they were so EU savvy that they had read rpg sourcebooks........ gosh, Farlander even got a mention in the NJO, and his/his family was originally just a short story that came with the tie fighter pc game !

MTFBWYA

Originally posted by Lynk Former

NJO is the worst series ever. i have no respect for it at all.

damn right.

ok i've only read one of them, but i hated it with a passion

i liked shadows of the empire, it was good the way it bridged the gap between esb & rotj.

i also liked the thrawn trilogy.

SOTE is my second favourite EU story of all time, very close to the Thrawn Trilogy.

First time I read it I was about 10 or 12, and my favourite character was Dash Rendar.

Reread at 16, and the feud between Xizor and Vader was much more interesting.

Maybe I'll read it again when I'm 20 and find something else I like.

What's your favourite parts?

One EU gap that resulted from this was...

Luke's XWing...

He left it on bespin, having been spirited away on the falcon minus one hand......

At the start of teh SOTE comic(which starts before the book starts) luke is involved in a battle and his his xwing back.....

I wrote a fanfic many moons ago trying to creatively explain how luke got his X back. I wonder if this has ever been covered in EU somewhere since......

MTFBWYA

Ever think of him getting a new one?

Of course, BUT, in ROTJ he is clearly flying Red 5, with the 5 red stripes on its wing. If he did get a new one - he must have been nostaligic enough to paint it the color of a squadron that no longer exists. Red squadron from ANH was later renamed Rogue Squadron, with Luke as its leader. By the time of ROTJ/Luke becoming a jedi, Rogue Squadron was led by Wedge Antilles of course. So, in the Battle of Endor, there would be a Rogue 5(im not sure if this ship/pilot made it on camera) which would have been a ship exactly the same as Luke's(decked with the 5 stripes). Luke had left his own XW aboard the Mon Cal ship, Home One, after returning form Dagobah.

Much later in the EU(around Black Fleet Crisis Time) I think, there is a comment where Luke is reflecting on how he has had his XW for 20 years or so.... So yeah, that gap is still there

MTFBWYA

• 2 weeks later...

The best book in Star Wars Expanded Universe. My favourite characters are Luke Skywalker, Lord Vader and Boba Fett (of course). I should say that those characters come from Original Trilogy, but in SOTE they were showed magnificient. Reading this book give me much fun and enjoy.

Greetings

• 3 years later...

Archived