Home

droideka model

Duncan_10158

Originally posted by Duncan_10158

It doesnt look good! there was nobody contacting me about working we me on this project. only you, seks03, helped me to search for some help, thanks. i posted a thread on vehicle limit and on new vehicle classes, but nobody at least replied. i got lots of mails as reaction on seks03 post on jedimoves.com, but none offerd to help me, all asked me if i could do something for them.

i realy doubt about working on on my JA projects, i got so much to do on my other lives work and most of the JA projects i am working on is for others asking me for help. i am not sure if it has any sense if anyone (seks03, you surly not) is thinking only on thier own project. i dont know :confused:

Duncan, you know what the problem is? I think Jedi Academy lost alot of the modders from Outcast. Jedi Outcast had already been bled dry by the top modders... Personally I think Jedi Academy has alot to offer, and most modders would come back if they only knew. The problem is (believe it or not) your posing questions to a community that is short on "interested craftsmen". You can see this when you go to sites like "Jk2files.com"... At one time these sites hosted some fantastic work, These days you see less and less quality work. Dont feel bad though... your not the only one, currently AOTC/TC is trying to get its hands on some more talent. Id be glad to help you out a bit, but I am currently working on a few projects. As you know, most of my skills are in the skinning/modeling dept. Anyhow, I'm not trying to discourage you... Keep posting, I think the more we get this work out there, the better chance the core talent will come back. I'll keep an eye out for someone that can help. Mars out

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Marz I agree, JA has alot to offer. But the thing is we have to figure out how to use it to our advantage. The shields on a x-wing is different from a Destroyer Droid. Think Force Field. Duncan wants to do the rounded shield around the droid to make it look like the real thing as possible. Also making it a player model, it wouldnt be right. You dont wanna see Destroyer Droids with Lightsabers, Force, etc. It would only be best as a vehicle.

Zappa_0, thanks, i know most of you out there realy encourage me in going on with this project and suggesting helpfull things like you did, Usurpo, and i thanks for that. but this isnt a problem of us modelers, its more that mapper, coder and modeler doesnt help each other or doesnt take knowledge of the others work. i posted two long threads on vehicle limit and new vehicle classes on the codeing forum but but didnt get even a reply. i am dissapointed, i realy dont understand that. but i could be wrong in my point of view, the hole vehicles thing perhaps isnt that importent for a great improvment for JA, as i think it is.

back to the droideka it self, Usurpo, your right, shields are part of the aircrafts, but its working for all the vehicles in some degree. i added a shield to the droideka model and it worked, but not correctly. a part of the model is a rounded shield around the droid, so the visual part of the problem is solved. the droideka is finished as model and animation. nothing what i need to help as something to do with the modeling part, i only need to do the coding things. also not-shooting in role mode cant be solved though modeling, i tried to remove the muzzle tags, but that doesnt work. right now i am using the walker class so boost isnt possible eighter.

i made the droideka originaly as player model as you suggest it, keshire. the difference in fact isnt that big, to make it a player model we have to creat a differnt player class like we would do it for a vehicle. we could use it as a siege class, set up from the start. but the thing is coding again and i need help for that.

just to say it, the droideka is playable right now, model and animations are done. i could release it as it is now and it would work quite well BUT the first one using it in her/his siege map would do a mode for it allowing it be used as player model and correct all the code thing i am talking about. i just want to do the coding part now instead of every mod maker on thier own.

keshire, every help is welcome. did you already take a look into the vehicles classes? or also in creating as spezial player class? i can sent you my leatest version so i can take a look at it? i can sent it to everyone how wants to see what i am talking about.

let me know

Thanks for your support

i am dissapointed, i realy dont understand that. but i could be wrong in my point of view, the hole vehicles thing perhaps isnt that importent for a great improvment for JA, as i think it is.

Duncan_10158 you are wrong. The best thing that happened to JA mp was vehicles support and siege mode (mp objectives). You see the gameplay of JA is almost identical to JK so it is easy to learn for new people and easy to adapt for old players. Vehicles is a new feature introduced into mp with a hole new mini-game. It also introduces a new idea of making larger maps so vehicles can be well manuvered without hurting fps to much. I am not familiar with the JA SDK yet so I haven't really found a way around the vehicles limit and the sad truth is the amount of coders in the JA comunity is very limited.

I think its really a matter of time before someone will come up with it. Im looking foward to getting all your models. We run servers with an rpg map called bdc-racing-b3 which is just incredible for using vehicles. It is a t2_trip style map in a much bigger shape that allows new players to spawn vehicles and use them at will. It also has the size to manuver and the fps to handle it. We also use all new vehicles that have been released in pcgamemods and as soon as the vehicle limit is increased we will start creating custom vehicles.

There are mappers in our clan working in rpg-ffa-siege style maps that will 100% support spacecraft & ground vehicles.

Duncan & everyone else keep up the good work.

back to the droideka again.

the coding of the droideka is making great progresses, RenegadeOfPhunk is working on it and sent me a first recoded version. not shooting in roll mode, fold in/out animation showing and some other features are implemented and workin perfect. these new coded features will be part of the Open Jedi Project. take a look at the new vehicle classes thread in the OJP Forum:

http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=119505&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

as everybody knows, i am not that good at skinning and the droideka needs a skin. i have made some trys but all turnd out crap :( is here somebody how could and would like to make a skin for this model. let me know.

Scouttrooper answered my call and started to skin the droideka. also here, thanks for your help Scouttrooper.

here are some first pics Scouttrooper posted on the droideka in the request forum. i post it also here so everyone can see the great progresses!

its pretty nasty to skin it very good, I just started with it here are some shots :

droidekaskin1.jpg

droidekaskin2.jpg

droidekaskin3.jpg

as you can see, it still needs more detail on the chest parts and arms, im still figuring out how to make those "oil blur" colours better on his head and "wings",

more updates later

first off, it looks fantastic!

on some of the reference pics i used the wings have holes. i didnt made those in the model to keep the polygone count low, i tried to make them as black dots on the skin. did you think of doing something like that?

some shining shader effects on the armor plates would look cool, yes. but not too much of it. as i remember most of the Federation techology looks a bit rusty, right?

the energy shield is part of the coded things. i dont know if we can another skin for it. perhaps Phunk knows if its posible to change the energy shield skin. do you think we should use another one then seen on the two pics above? i could redo the skinmap so it fits better?

I didn't code a different skin for the energy shield - I just changed the last line in the model_default.skin file:

i.e.

energy_shield,gfx/effects/shield.jpg

..if however, your talking about the effect which is played when the vehicle actually get's hit, there is this .veh parameter defined in code:

shieldShader

...with the description...

//What shader to use when drawing the shield shell

The only thing is, it's not mentioned in the template.veh example, which makes me wonder whether it's coded in right - although I checked, and this parameter certainly seems to do something in code - so it's probably worth experimenting with...

New skins can be done by adding a new entry in the veh file. Just put whatever.skin for the custom skin entry.

You can stack them

droideka_plain

blah

blah

blah

custom skin = blah

droideka_rustic

blah

blah

blah

custom skin = blah_rustic.skin

then you can spawn whichever version you want.

Archived