Home

KOTOR2? I'm not so sure...

Owl

When I first read that OXM article, I really just assumed they were talking about Jade Empire. I thought they meant it was going to be as big as KOTOR, not that they were actually making another one. And I think if they're working on this beast (which is looking kinda cool), they're not going to have a lot of time to work on KOTOR2.

And just to be nitpicky, if the game takes place many years after the movies like the rumor says, it wouldn't be KotOR 2. It would be KotNR, which everybody can see is nowhere near as good an acronym. :)

After its success, I fully expect to see a sequel/follow-up to KotOR. However, and this is just a guess, I wouldn't be surprised to see it show up on the next MS console, perhaps as a launch title. After all, Bioware is making Jade Empire right now, and at some point it was mentioned that they have another game in the works featuring their own intellectual property. They're a successful, growing company, but I don't think they have the resources to be working on three full games at a time, not to mention expansions and extra content for Neverwinter Nights and KotOR. I'd be happy to be wrong, though; that means I get to play it sooner!

/my 2 cents

Originally posted by amishler

And just to be nitpicky, if the game takes place many years after the movies like the rumor says, it wouldn't be KotOR 2.

Read it more carefully. It says years after KOTOR, not years after the movies.

and that the game's storyline - which is to take place many years after KOTOR's --will include a completely new cast of characters.

See?

Originally posted by Owl

And I think if they're working on this beast (which is looking kinda cool), they're not going to have a lot of time to work on KOTOR2.

Which is why they're said to be outsourcing it to a development partner.

But what few people are aware of is that the game is not being developed internally at BioWare, but in Orange County at Obsidian Entertainment. (At least that's what we hear.)

What? Who's this Obsidian Entertainment? Never heard of them? Well, search back through the files in your skull and you may remember an announcement made by BioWare back in August. The company announced a commitment to collaborate on future PC and console titles with Obsidian.

Originally posted by jp-30

Read it more carefully. It says years after KOTOR, not years after the movies.

I think we're reading different things. Here's what I was referring to (the October 9 news post on Mojo):

According to the rumor, KOTOR2 will take place many years after the Star Wars movies and may be out in 2004 or 2005.
But like I said, that's just me being nitpicky anyway. My major quibble with the rumor was that it has KotOR 2 coming out so soon. But if Obsidian is taking over development duties, that would negate that argument as well. Still, until it's confirmed by one or more of the three parties (Bioware, Obsidian or LucasArts), I'll be taking all this with a rather large grain of salt. Hopefully accompanied by a rather large margarita.

Archived