Home

Why I'd Rather Play Bots Than People...

KaiaSowapit

Originally posted by vert1go

Yeah I know what you mean, in rtcw/et you can use strafe jumping on slanted surfaces and also perform connected circle-jumps to travel faster than normal, also you can *sort of* use overbounce'esque jumps hehe, but not to quake3's extent, and it normally ends up giving fall damage and stopping you instantly. I was more referring really to the original quake style of strafe jumping, which as you know is much different.

Yeah, you could do that and move your mouse left and right (to change the direction where you're looking) as you're jumping forward to increase your speed. (the sprint key accompanying this also worked well) I assume this is what you meant by connected circle-jumps though.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by g//plaZma

Yeah, you could do that and move your mouse left and right (to change the direction where you're looking) as you're jumping forward to increase your speed. (the sprint key accompanying this also worked well) I assume this is what you meant by connected circle-jumps though.

Yup, exactly what I meant. =]

Oops.. kinda dragging this thread off-topic. :x

ON TOPIC:

Bot-play is fine for practicing/learning maps, in my opinion.. but it doesn't compare to the challenge and enjoyment of online play against real people who actually stand a chance of beating you hehe.

Perhaps someone should actually create some hard bots.. ones that have insane aim/movement skills (abilities beyond the human capability)... it's been done in other games and actually makes for semi-decent practice.

Originally posted by: vert1go

It's in the game, it was left there intentionally, deal with it or don't play.

Wow, in one sentence you managed to hit 2 out of 3 of the examples I gave earlier of the typical arguments an exploiter uses. Not only: "It is in the game, so use it" but also "If you don't like it, you can go somewhere else". It seems I hit the nail spot on in my earlier comment :D

Perhaps you can explain to me why Raven bothered with making walking/running animations for all the models when all we are going to see anyway are people in the constantly crouch-like jumping position zooming across the map? Why did they even bother making the force speed power when it is useless anyway? Why the head bob issue when your feet practically never touch the ground? While we're at it, it seems to me Raven screwed up with several of the weapons too since their shots are to slow to catch up to the strafe jumping players.

What bothers me about exploits like strafe jumping is simply that when 1 person starts doing it, everybody else HAVE to do it too (I refer to my example with the CTY situation). Then when everybody is strafe jumping around like imbeciles on speed, somebody comes up with a new scheme/exploit that will give him/her an advantage over the rest (it is apparently not enough just to be better/more skilled than the others). For a little while that person will dominate the game until the others find out what it is he/she has been doing and then they start doing it too. Lather, Rince, Repeat. Lather, Rince, Repeat. In the end, the result is always the same: The game loses all of its appeal and dies out for all but a small group of die hard fans. :(

Anyway, you are right when you say that we've gotten off topic, so I'll shut up now ;)

Originally posted by fatBastard()

What bothers me about exploits like strafe jumping is simply that when 1 person starts doing it, everybody else HAVE to do it too (I refer to my example with the CTY situation). Then when everybody is strafe jumping around like imbeciles on speed, somebody comes up with a new scheme/exploit that will give him/her an advantage over the rest (it is apparently not enough just to be better/more skilled than the others). For a little while that person will dominate the game until the others find out what it is he/she has been doing and then they start doing it too. Lather, Rince, Repeat. Lather, Rince, Repeat. In the end, the result is always the same: The game loses all of its appeal and dies out for all but a small group of die hard fans. :(

Again, strafe-jumping is not an exploit! If you so strongly believe it is, report it to Raven. It's been in the quake3 engine for quite a while now and the JO/JA programmers have left it in. It seems they have altered it in JA, even meaning they know it's there. Strafe-jumping is not something you get used to right away, either meaning if you have better timing, you will outrun a newbie at strafe-jumping. (BTW, have you ever tried using a speed-rage+strafejump combo in CTY to return a flag? It works pretty well. So does regular speed-strafejump)

These "schemes/exploit" things you talk about give the game depth. Without more things to learn, gameplay isn't really worth much. There will always be people who think of new strategies to kill their oponents.

wait...did he just say sj'ing is an exploit?

let me pause for a few minutes so i can abate my laughter.

HAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHA

whew glad thats over.

sounds like someone kept getting owned so they made up the "its lame/an exploit" excuse.

Originally posted by fatBastard()

Wow, in one sentence you managed to hit 2 out of 3 of the examples I gave earlier of the typical arguments an exploiter uses. Not only: "It is in the game, so use it" but also "If you don't like it, you can go somewhere else". It seems I hit the nail spot on in my earlier comment :D

Hmm yeah? So what exactly is your point.. my comments were valid: It is in the game, intentionally might I add, and you have two choices, deal with it, or don't play. Can't see what you are getting at really. There is no more to it than that.

First off I must say that all the immature/whining losers around are definitely wasting JA & JO. I agree with the ones who say that SW jerks should return to study line by line the movies scripts or their "for 10- yo people" comics instead to annoy players who just want to have some fun and action.

Second off, I'm definitely SICK to join a FFA server with 16 players and 4 of them are dueling while the others are in a corner talking to each other! Dudes, FFA = deadthmatch! If you want to have a chat join IRC or AIM or whatever.

Third thing, I do call "lamers" people who chatkill or kill people with saber off (maybe they are just talking at the phone or they went down to the kitchen for a coke!) because that's plain stupid IMO. Where's the fun to kill someone who cannot defend himself?

Fourth Thing, I do call "lamers" those who use kickcs (and kicks exclusively) in JO. I met some people who bragged about being the best JO player ever just because they could kill people on NarShada map using the kicks+grip script (even my 4 yo cousin can press a key to activate a bind...) then you challenge them to a duel and they don't even know how to do a yellow special or a side flip! I mean, where's the fun in getting kill not because you are skilled but because you exploit some silly bug of the game. That's like completing all SP games using cheats: no fun at all!

Originally posted by vert1go

Perhaps someone should actually create some hard bots.. ones that have insane aim/movement skills (abilities beyond the human capability)... it's been done in other games and actually makes for semi-decent practice.

I made the mistake of doing that on my instagib server and people hated it. Fast and super-accurate bots + one-hit-kill instagib disruptor rifles = hell. They literally were "aimbots". I had to really tone them down.

I can't wait for the new and improved bot routes that Darth Kaan and T-bone are doing. If my enhanced bots had better routes to run they could actually be semi-useful balancing teams during CTF

Originally posted by Giddamon

First off I must say that all the immature/whining losers around are definitely wasting JA & JO. I agree with the ones who say that SW jerks should return to study line by line the movies scripts or their "for 10- yo people" comics instead to annoy players who just want to have some fun and action.

Second off, I'm definitely SICK to join a FFA server with 16 players and 4 of them are dueling while the others are in a corner talking to each other! Dudes, FFA = deadthmatch! If you want to have a chat join IRC or AIM or whatever.

Third thing, I do call "lamers" people who chatkill or kill people with saber off (maybe they are just talking at the phone or they went down to the kitchen for a coke!) because that's plain stupid IMO. Where's the fun to kill someone who cannot defend himself?

Fourth Thing, I do call "lamers" those who use kickcs (and kicks exclusively) in JO. I met some people who bragged about being the best JO player ever just because they could kill people on NarShada map using the kicks+grip script (even my 4 yo cousin can press a key to activate a bind...) then you challenge them to a duel and they don't even know how to do a yellow special or a side flip! I mean, where's the fun in getting kill not because you are skilled but because you exploit some silly bug of the game. That's like completing all SP games using cheats: no fun at all!

You sound like one of those "immature whining losers" you have spoke about.

Saying strafe jumping is an bug/exploit is like saying katas are an bug/exploit. They are both intentionally in the game and thus meant to be used.

We can, however, debate on wether or not katas or strafe jumping is "cool". Is seeing Jedi's bounce around instead of running Star Warsy and cool? I think it is kinda silly and unrealistic, but gives more depth to the GAME. It's not LIEK TEH MOVIEZ, but makes the GAME more interesting. I guess it all comes down to which we value more; the game or the Star Warsyness.

I do hate the "it's in the game" argument as such. Map glitches are in the game. You can create scripts that perform combos with the press of a single button. The energize-script, the saber lock script..bleah. :(

I still don't get the rationale, "saber down = defenseless." Honestly, can someone explain this to me? What are we talking 'bout here folks... a button click to reactivate your saber? What's that take, a nano-second?

If instead we're talking about the need for some universal gesture that communicates "hey, I'm just watching... not fighting" - that's EXACTLY what spectator mode is for. (It's also precisely what television is for... perhaps you're sitting in front of the wrong screen?)

But wait, you say you don't want to lose your "oh so precious" ranking while you go to the washroom? Here's a thought: CROSS YOUR LEGS!

Need to answer the phone or get a soda out of the kitchen? WHERE ARE YOUR PRIORITIES, MAN??! The Empire/Rebellion NEEDS YOU! YOU'RE THEIR ONLY HOPE!!!

Seriously people, take a deep breath and repeat after me... "it's just a game." I promise you'll feel better. Pick up a newspaper; there's REAL tragedy and injustice all over the world we live in. If you're going to get all bent out of shape simply because some twerp clobbered your "virtual Jedi" whilst you were away from the keyboard fetching snicker doodles or something... get over it.

As for the recent tangent this thread has taken regarding exploits, let me point out that one person's "bug" is just as often another person's "feature." Discussing this is not the point of this thread... not whining about it IS (which is exactly what some of you are doing). Please submit bug reports on a different thread, or better still to Raven directly.

AND MAY THE FORCE BE WITH YOU! :)

Saying strafe jumping is an bug/exploit is like saying katas are an bug/exploit. They are both intentionally in the game and thus meant to be used.

I agree with you, but IMO JO kicks are bugged as there's no way you can kill a being with 3 kicks! Not even if you are Bruce Lee :D

You can create scripts that perform combos with the press of a single button

Scripts aren't "in the game", they are made by people who can't press more than two keys at once :p

You sound like one of those "immature whining losers" you have spoke about.

And you sound like one of those whiners that chatkill and kick-grip all the time ;)

Seriously, I'm not one of those whiners who call a vote to kick everyone who kill them twice in a row, I hate those servers where people insult each other instead of playing and personally I couldn't care less if someone kills me in some "not regular" way because:

1. It's just a game!

2. Hell, who give a damn ****! It's just a game :p

However, I do think that repeated use of chatkill just to increase the kills count is...sad. IMHO of course ;)

IMO JO kicks are bugged as there's no way you can kill a being with 3 kicks! Not even if you are Bruce Lee

First off, may I kindly remind you this section of the forums is regarding Jedi Academy?

Second off, and I hope this isn't a terrible shock, there's no such thing as lightsabers, the Force, or Kel Dor warriors. (Sorry, but it's true.)

The point of this thread is to vent about "whiney" Jedi and how they're disrupting the community. Which you're welcome to argue is a form of whining itself - nevertheless that's the point, and only point of this particular thread.

And you sound like one of those whiners that chatkill and kick-grip all the time ;)

And your mother wears Army boots. Betcha my dad can beat up your dad. Blah blah blah.

Unless you're trying to satirize "whiney" Jedi... please take these kinds of comments someplace else.

Thanks! :)

Need to answer the phone or get a soda out of the kitchen? WHERE ARE YOUR PRIORITIES, MAN??! The Empire/Rebellion NEEDS YOU! YOU'RE THEIR ONLY HOPE!!!

Seriously people, take a deep breath and repeat after me... "it's just a game."

Ah you just contradicted yourself. I have my priorities straight I'm gonna answer my phone because someone I know personally is trying to get ahold of me, I then shall put my saber down and ask politely if you would kindly not attack because I am not at my keyboard at the moment. Is it to much to ask that if I am somewhere away from the action in a remote location that you please don't try and hunt me down so that you can add another kill to your score card?

Ah you just contradicted yourself.

I was being facetious, i.e.: an attempt at levity... humor. Something drastically lacking from your character if you can't get over the notion that someone might dare take advantage of the fact you've stepped away from the game momentarily. That's my whole point.

Honestly, would you expect the Super Bowl to come to a grinding halt just because some linebacker decided to answer his cell phone mid-game? Is it not equally ridiculous to presume everyone would continue playing and simply avoid his little area of the pitch?

What you may have never considered is all those "rude" and "inconsiderate" players sharing the server with you may have asked their mates in advance not to call them whilst they are playing - or perhaps they're simply letting their answering machines/voice mail take care of it. As for going to the bathroom or fetching a drink... perhaps they literally ARE crossing their legs or doing without. I'm not saying that they're more noble or better than you for sake of it... just that it's a possibility you may want to consider.

As I said before, you can't be reasonable and expect to have it both ways. You can't begrudge someone for "hunting you down" to "add another kill" to their "scorecard" and at the same time be stubbornly unwilling to join spectator mode just to maintain your own score.

That my friend, truly is a contradiction.

Originally posted by KaiaSowapit

First off, may I kindly remind you this section of the forums is regarding Jedi Academy?

Don't worry, I'm aware of that. I was just using the JO kicks as a proof (maybe the wrong proof, ok...) against those who say that it's ok to exploit every single bug in the JK games in general. Like you said in the previous post: "this thread is to vent about "whiney" Jedi and how they're disrupting the community".

Second off, and I hope this isn't a terrible shock, there's no such thing as lightsabers, the Force, or Kel Dor warriors. (Sorry, but it's true.)

Oh no, the shock!! :p

BTW, what the hell is a "Kel Dor warrior"? :confused:

Unless you're trying to satirize "whiney" Jedi...

Yup, actually I was exactly trying to do that, note the emoticon at the end of that sentence and the following "Seriously". Sorry, I didn't mean to sound like a touchy loser boy ;)

Correct about the chatkill and the gk (was that supposed to be an insult?). But you sound like one of those guys who don't know how to use force push. Pretty useful. Last I checked, gk in JK2 wasn't an exploit/bug. Please learn the game dynamics before posting "OMG GK IS TEH LAMEZ0R." Thanks.

Meh...picky people you are, aren't you? :D

Just read my comment above and FYI when I use this ---> ;) emoticon it means I'm joking and/or I'm being sarcastic :p

My (personal) opinion about gk is simple: kicks are part of the game so you can use them (i.e. in JA they could be used like a valid counter move to rolls) but it's also true that 90% of people play JK games because they like to use lightsabers and force so I personally think that overusing kicks (i.e. some people don't even bother to turn on their sabers...) ruin the fun for other players so I consider lamers those who *exclusively* use kicks during FFAs and/or duels.

Just my 2 cents and anyway let me say that being chat killed or kicked to death all the time isn't a reason to insult people or, worse, make moronic racist comments on them :mad:

Lets face it you get dickheads everywhere..why should JKA servers be an exception ? The fact is people will take advantage of honer codes etc..why? simply cuz they can and they wanna be the 1st to reach the kill limit.

I have a problem with these campers that stand by a long drop off waiting for an unsuspecting player to come along to grip and throw em over IMO that is truley lame or a guy will come when your battling his friend and hold you up in a grip so his friend can finish you off there is no use of skill by either player (I noticed the German players use this trick alot) .

The fact people will wanna argue with you no matter what ..just look at some chat rooms !!!

As the saying goes "Fighting on the internet is like running in the special olympics ! .. it doesnt who wins there still a retard"

Originally posted by Cryptoguy

...I have a problem with these campers that stand by a long drop off waiting for an unsuspecting player to come along to grip and throw em over IMO that is truley lame

You may use force sight

or a guy will come when your battling his friend and hold you up in a grip so his friend can finish you off there is no use of skill by either player.

So there isn't skill by the player who get choked without using protection or force push

Originally posted by Cryptoguy As the saying goes "Fighting on the internet is like running in the special olympics ! .. it doesnt matter who wins there still a retard"
Definitely a sad joke...

BTW, maybe who wins is just the most skilled (or lucky) player on that server?

You may use force sight

So there isn't skill by the player who get choked without using protection or force push

Definitely a sad joke...

BTW, maybe who wins is just the most skilled (or lucky) player on that server?

Try english next time

yes you can use sight but that still dosnt negate the fact that there a camper ! and people usauly have very little force power left when there in the middle of a saber battle to push or protect ... not as sad as some people I've seen on JK servers

Lets face it you get dickheads everywhere..why should JKA servers be an exception ? The fact is people will take advantage of honer codes etc..why? simply cuz they can and they wanna be the 1st to reach the kill limit.

I have a problem with these campers that stand by a long drop off waiting for an unsuspecting player to come along to grip and throw em over IMO that is truley lame or a guy will come when your battling his friend and hold you up in a grip so his friend can finish you off there is no use of skill by either player (I noticed the German players use this trick alot) .

The fact people will wanna argue with you no matter what ..just look at some chat rooms !!!

As the saying goes "Fighting on the internet is like running in the special olympics ! .. it doesnt who wins there still a retard"

Wow.. cry some more?

Just because you don't like the way somebody plays, it doesn't mean that they are doing anything wrong. Playing online will always present you with a multitude of techniques.. thats the FUN of it. People are not going to always play in a way you like, and why the hell should they?

Oh, and grip can always be instantly escaped with push/pull, unless you are inexperienced enough to have emptied your force pool using too many kata's/special-moves/other force powers. Maybe if you were to get better at force allocation you would have no problem against these 'campers' lol.

PMSL @ force allocation . :D

I have no problem with people using grip I use it to great effect . I was just making a point about people that just hang around using this method all the time ..another point I forgot to add that these guys usauly have there sabers down so I dont attack em only to be attacked my self :confused:

Hell its only a game I dont get that bothered about it but I think these guys take alot of the enjoyment out of it thats all .

Try english next time

yes you can use sight but that still dosnt negate the fact that there a camper ! and people usauly have very little force power left when there in the middle of a saber battle to push or protect ... not as sad as some people I've seen on JK servers

lol... This's the first time I've heard someone complaining about campers in JO/JA. Seriously, this is like a guy in Q3/UT complaining and calling someone a camper because they killed him while he had no ammo left. It's not anyones fault if you have no force in your force pool left after a "saber battle." Just come back and take care of him after you respawn because last time I checked, when you respawn, you have full force and health.

Archived