Home

OK...who wants a racing mod?

A2597

Minor spoiler....

OK, the level with the land speeders...most fun I've had in YEARS of PC gaming!!! especially once I got my saber out to fight!

who wants to see an MP racing mod based on that level? I think it would ROCK! :)

Sure, the sound of a racing mod might appeal to people, but the one question I have to ask is this:

Will it die faster then hydroball?

When people started changing the dynamic of the game, it was a 15 minute fame situation. Hydroball, and to a lesser degree Promod, exemplifies this.

Then again, everyone prefered singing coumbyah at the ffa_bespin pad while /amsitting... Until they got their butts kicked.

I see no reason why a mod like this would not be successful, and attract a small following, if it was fun enough to play, and had the necessary ingredients to keep it interesting.

Personally I'm going to play through all of the gmae modes that came with the game first. But after that, when FFA gets a bit old hat, and Duel looks a little rusty around the edges, I'll be trying out some game mods.

But I think the key to making a succesful mod is not simply to slap a map together with some loose gameplay mechanics and get it out the door as fast as possible. Take time to explore it's potential, and make it rock-solid fun from beginning to end. A more professionally executed mod is more likely to stand the test of time, and attract a wider following, IMHO.

Yeah it's funny... on my server I often have difficulty getting people to just play the basic maps that come with the game. They all want to play flight school or Rancor Arena. ; )

Those are fun and all, but yes, I'd like to master the base game somewhere along the line too!

As to Racing Mods, the first one is available from Pcgamemods.com (unfortunately the track is a small square and not very good), and a second one was recently posted (a new map for the same mod, by another author).

So I'm going to check that out and see if it's any fun. Looks simple enough.. just build a "track" and some respawning bikes and you're set.

The only thing is, with the code they could mod in actual laps and announcers and things. Hmmm..... maybe rather than just Swoops, it could evolve into something else.

Somebody put this idea in my head:

Taun Tauns pulling Chariots... Ben Hur in the Star Wars universe... *dreams*

Originally posted by Kurgan

The only thing is, with the code they could mod in actual laps and announcers and things. Hmmm..... maybe rather than just Swoops, it could evolve into something else.

Yeah, that's what I meant about a more professional approach. Adding extra features and the necessary spit and polish to make it more enjoyable. ;)

Somebody put this idea in my head:

Taun Tauns pulling Chariots... Ben Hur in the Star Wars universe... *dreams*

Now that would be something to see. :thumbsup: I'd play that in a hot minute...

Hmmmm...2 days ago, Kurgans server, playing on rancor arena...saw this guy running around the rancor with the tauntaun looked a little like some gladiator thing, so me thought hmmm chariots being pulled by tauntauns. Just incase everyone thinks it was Kurgans idea :p

To use Taun Tauns you'd have to enable cheats, since the only map I've seen with them enabled by default is Rancor Arena.

Hmmmm...2 days ago, Kurgans server, playing on rancor arena...saw this guy running around the rancor with the tauntaun looked a little like some gladiator thing, so me thought hmmm chariots being pulled by tauntauns. Just incase everyone thinks it was Kurgans idea

I admitted that somebody "put the idea in my head" I just couldn't remember who... it may have been you. If so, thanks it was cool!

; )

Originally posted by DO Kord

Can you race tauntauns in the racing mod? If so, I would definatly have to download that. It would be like horse racing... only on... tauntauns... um... yeah...

If you do the npc spawn cheat you probably could (man I wish there was a command to add npc's without enabling cheats in a server) but you would have to probably put some type of high speed boost equivalent to the one on the speeder bike to make those jumps in the new level or you can always make your own without many jumps. I for one and glad to see a vehicle mod like this. All we need now is one that supports land, sea (hey we can all dream), and air. Now that would be great.

Why stop at races?

Let's have JOUSTING!

Real 'Knights' now. hehe

hhhhhmmmm, I wonder. You could mod it so that the sabre is 3, maybe 4 times as long.

You'd need to stop it from being swung(although, imagine swinging a giant sabre and killing a few dozen stormies in one go) and just point straight forward.

Hey all

Deso here,yah know,creator of rancor arena :D

I can assure you...a tauntaun race track is possible,and even easy nuff to create.

Might do it after i finished my newest work.(Its a near-perfection remake of Vader's chamber in JKA SP)

After that i'll have to make a lil clanmap for the guy that made the code for the new Digital Core website.

http://www.digitalcore.tk

Maybe AFTER that one,ill make something like that.And bout the chariots,thatll ask for some new vehicle,so some scripters and modellers would be needed.If anybody can find me a team,ill be glad to help.

-Deso

• 1 month later...

There are tons of racing "mods" but all they are are semi-circular maps with respawning Swoop bikes. That's IT.

Using the SDK, make it so that there's an announcer, it counts laps, people have racing lanes or something (or at least don't put the bikes so close together so they blow each other up constantly... maybe code some modified bikes)... etc.

There's all kinds of things you could add... Jawa Pit Crews?

There's a lot of work to be done. And when you get it done, share it with all those guys making their "racing mods" and you'll be the hit of pcgamemods.com! ; )

Archived