Home

Post your desktop!

Thrik

It's been a pretty damn long while since we last had a desktop thread here at the GFN, so I figured it's time we had one.

If you have to post the desktop within the post itself please resize it to 800x600 so we can actually see it on one screen, otherwise just make a thumbnail or link to it. I'll set us off with my super modified XP desktop..

thrikdesktop.jpg

Hee, nice ptdc.

Anyway, the mac effect is done by using the Mercury X WindowBlinds skin (I assume you already have it, if not http://www.stardock.com for windowblinds) to create the apple-like taskbar. Then you drag the taskbar to the top so it's like the mac's.

Finally, grab a copy of ObjectDock from http://www.objectdockcom and install it. It basically emulates the Mac's dock identically, or at least it does if you fiddle with the settings a bit. You can edit it's alignment, position, auto-hide, transparency, and loads of other ****.

You can also grab DesktopX from stardock.com, but it's not necessary. I use it to have transparent images which grow/become non-transparent when hovered over.

If you need to get extra icons for your dock (the default ones in Windows tend to blur when blown up) head to wincustomize.com and go to ObjectDock on the menu - and search your socks off.

</tutorial on having a COOL desktop>

Cool, thanks. Now I can pretend to be creative while being smug and self-superior ;D To finish the effect I'll open my monitor up and put my pc in there. I'll put a plant in the corner, a palm perhaps and leave a few copies of computer art and design magazines on a little table.

Unfortunately, my computer has blown up. But if it did work you'd see half a dozen half finished radio scripts on the desktop (so that I don't forget to keep on writing them) and a rather large picture of Mike Wazowski from Monster's Inc. :)

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived