Home

Theories on Herman becoming marooned

Mr.Lukie

What did you think of the whole Herman explanation?  

11 members have voted

1. 1. What did you think of the whole Herman explanation?

• EMI explained it perfectly! I have no problem with Herman being H.T Marly.
    • EMI created more plotholes than it tried to explain away.
    • I am still in intensive care from when I tried to piece it all together.
    • I don't know and I don't really care.

I posted this on a completely different thread, so I thought i'd put it as the subject of a new one.

I thought the way they made Herman explain away plotholes was faulty, mainly because it created more plotholes.

I mean, the way Herman explains it, he was sent down a whirlpool by ozzie in a boat race. But in CMI when you're asking Lechuck about what happened to all the crew, he says he sent H.T Marly down a whirlpool, who is supposedly Herman according to EMI. Is it possible that Herman was sent down two completely different whirlpools? Or maybe Herman was part of a cloning program? Or is it possible that the plothole became so big it resembled a whirlpool? And the whole Herman being H.T Marley thing. According to Herman, he made his name from the initials on an accordian. But in SMI, the diary is clearly marked "Herman Toothrot". Wait! It could have been an alternative version of H.T Marly from a parrallel universe sent to destroy us all! And if Herman was sucked through a whirlpool (one or the other), and that's how he got to monkey island, then how could he have bought a ship from Stan and set sail with that other guy to find "The Secret of Monkey Island tm"? How can this be the same person!! HOW CAN THEY EXPECT US TO SWALLOW THIS CRAP!!! AIIIIIIIIIIIIIEEEEEEE!!!!!.........................(Slightly obssesive Mr.Lukie gives himself a sedative)....... well, I might have got a bit carried away, but you get my drift.

If you have any other theories on how this could be possible, please post them here.

i agree, they made the plot of MI2 about the maps go further in MI3, but in MI4 that is completely destroyed by Herman getting his memory back, because in MI3 we r told that they split the map 4 ways, i cant remember exactly what happened to HT Marley in that one, but somehow Elaine has possession of the map in MI2... so if they all went to monkey island and then came back split up the map, and herman gave the map to elaine, then how did he get back to monkey island?

Maybe the fact that HT Marley chose the option of pain and torment instead of letting lechuck marry his daughter is something to do with it.. maybe the pain and torment is that he becomes herman toothrot... but it still doesnt explain the whole whirlpool thing i guess... Oh well...

IF you think about it on the first game he wasnt marooned. he had a ship but didnt want to leave untill someone could rescue him. because otherwise it wouldnt look right.

But then the 4th game ruins it, how comes u rescue him in the first and he manages to get back in the 4th it just dont make sence. either the that or ive missed something through one of the games.

There are many theories about. It just so happens that I am currently reading some articals from the scumm bar and came across this one that could come in handy here ya go. Oops, forget that, all articals got lost, in the big server crash of 2003 (in a few years, I'll get to say that to newbies and sound real old), all I found was RemiO's cooking antics.

Hmm. Okay, now here is the errors page for MI4 on worldofmi.com. If you scroll down to the bottom, it'll try it's best to explain the whole thing.

Also, I started this topic about two years ago (I'm not blaming you for starting a thread that was already started, it is two years old after all) and it came up with some pretty good ideas, so that's worth a look.

Hope that helps.

Originally posted by LeChuck lives

IF you think about it on the first game he wasnt marooned. he had a ship but didnt want to leave untill someone could rescue him. because otherwise it wouldnt look right.

But then the 4th game ruins it, how comes u rescue him in the first and he manages to get back in the 4th it just dont make sence. either the that or ive missed something through one of the games.

He forgets him. Guybrush leaves his boat on MI he goes back with that dude on LeChucks boat, whats his name

Bob. But what about the alternate ending when you leave the crew on Monkey Island (which is obviously the ending EMI goes by..Meathook, Carla, and Otis all remark on how Guybrush abandoned them on Monkey island) and you take Toothrot's ship back to Melee? I guess we can accept EMI meshing two endings together, but it still doesn't explain the countless other plotholes this story element creates.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived