Home

What a rubbish game!!!

bedford50

I know i'll get flamed for this but I don't think JA is anywhere near as good as JK2. Ok it has some nice new moves and rancors, but JK2 had a better story, better designed levels. Considering that JK2 is 18 months old JA just hasn't got enough to offer.

Multiplayer is crap, the 2 new modes become boring very quickly.

The singleplayer levels aren't as good as JK2's, and the acting is terrible. Jaden (male especially) sounds like a monotonous, broken, answering machine. Alora - she might as well just be another reborn. Tavion - her hairs even worse than before.

The AI is terrible, stormtroopers just stand and shoot, in JK2 they moved more.

The graphics are marginally better, although the concussion rifle looks stupid.

The dual and staff sabers are good, but not enough to save the other aspects of the game.

That's just my humble opinion, what do you guys think?

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The troopers moved in SP for me.

And so you like a huge box with several smaller boxes in it, connected by a few walkways and needing to use precise Force jump to find the frigging right button of the communications array (which to make sense should all be on one control) panel better than anything that JA has to offer? I think not, at least JA levels always make sense in terms of Star Wars realism. Said giant box could make no sense since there was no way in hell that the imperial workers could've gotten there, unless they got piggyback rides from the reborn XD

But overall, I find that JA went above and beyond what JO achieved.

All Quotes are from Ionio

Multiplayer is crap, the 2 new modes become boring very quickly

Well, they're certainly better than Jedi Master and Capture the Ysalamari in my opinion. The fact that Siege servers are almost always full attests to that.

The singleplayer levels aren't as good as JK2's,

I'd have to disagree. There was times playing JO SP levels, after completing the third death-defying-jump-puzzle in the level, where I was left thinking, "How the heck do the technicians perform repairs in the base?!" Most, if not all of the JA SP levels, on the other hand, seem more realistic in architecture and enemies seem logically placed.

The AI is terrible, stormtroopers just stand and shoot, in JO they moved more.

Though this may be the case for the stormies, it's a whole different story when the Cultists and Reborn are factored in. The idea of the Cultist duo, where one comes at you with the saber and the other one stays back and pummels you with Force powers, was a stroke of genious and make for challenging battles, particularly if you don't have Absorb. If it wasn't for such pairings, the Cultists would be embarrassingly easy in later levels.

Tavion-her hairs even worse than before.

At least she doesn't have that mask thing anymore. It made her look comical, like she was pretending she was a robber or something. With her new "Harley biker girl" look, I'd say it's a big improvement.

The dual and saber staffs are good, but not enough to save the other aspects of the game

Well, it's open to speculation, but I'd say the new sabers went a long way for JA. In every MP mod I've played for JO, the saber staffs and dual sabers are never as balanced as the single saber. In JA, every type of saber seems to be fairly well balanced.

Anyway, there's some feedback. I think JA is an excellent game, but to each his own.

I agree with most said. mp is crap i had high hopes for siege (ive played alot of tow for moh) but the force drain on moves, no option for jedi only siege, stuck in place during kata/specials, weak sabers, no kick or slow daown move for s/o CTF ( none is playing s/o ctf), sucky levels and ugly hilts and online servers have awful ping times all other games i play like bf1942sw all have sweet pings but ja have crappy pings....

I ve played sp a few times through its ok bit better than jo levs but still kinda boring the 3rd time...and no npc's.... damn jk1 had civilians you could help made you feel more jedi like...

i love the jk series but they keep screwing it up. MP is very important and they seem to make it a tack on effort and then say let community mod... dumb cuz we need a united community not a divided one like in jk2 that died 6 months after it came out...

damn this has got me started....

I think JK2 was better - I won't bother installing it though.

The level design of Jk2 was better in my opinion, I loved the SP maps, while I just thought the JA SP maps were ''ok''.

About the MP maps, they truly suck. The old ones were way better. The only map I like is Vjun Sentinel (mp/ffa1)

But the concussion rifle isn't ****, and Tavions hair isn't ugly.

IMHO the level design in JA is WAY better than it was in JO... JO was just wierd and stupid with too many jumping and button-pushing puzzles with no logical basis whatsoever (even in Star Wars fantasy terms).

AI seems the same to me, though the paired Cultists are easily wiped out if you use Force Absorb. Yawn.

The story seems weaker, though, and the "do levels in any order" thing is pointless... you still have to do all the same missions, and if you skip levels when they let you, you just lose out on force points. Then again, not having to play that scrawny-ass Kyle model with the nerf herder suit is a plus. :D

Originally posted by CastleBravo

IMHO the level design in JA is WAY better than it was in JO... JO was just wierd and stupid with too many jumping and button-pushing puzzles with no logical basis whatsoever (even in Star Wars fantasy terms).

What's what I was getting at, Master William. If you can't take a little humor, maybe you should leave.

JO does not have better map design than JA.

JA uses far more polygones and has that ghoul2 stuff from sof2.

When u guys say mp is ****ed up: look @ JO now, everybody is like using red stance, and jumping forward, jumping back, with the luck of they happen to hit. JA is REALLY a jedi fight game.. it aint that lame like : look i am jumping, its storming in and be the victor.

just my 2 cents

No, I meant JA MP is screwed up because there are no really fun maps, and there is too much bugs and unbalanced stuff.

I just looked at the Rebel Pilot model, and guess what... When they reskinned that strange lizard model, they forgot to remove those spikes that he has attached under his knees.

Just look, they forgot to remove the ones from the left leg.

I don't think JA is worse than JO. JA is definately better than JO but that is because it is almost 2 years old. JA made major improvements on JO but that is the problem, they only improved. There wasn't anything revolutionary and furthermore they used the same engine. I don't care how many polygons are in a model, JA graphics are pretty much the same as JO. Ultimately JA is a good game but it is definately does not live up to its predecessor.

master william - no wait, why should i call you master? ahh, in that case, william...

level design??? mp level design??? didnt someone just say that JO MP has devolved into red style jumpslash and backflipping? and your worried about the level design? ok, so maybe you really ARE worried about the MP levels. do you like the JO MP levels? guess what? you can play them in JA! isn't that great?

good grief.... :rolleyes: i cant believe that you could go download the levels and you are whining about how you could miss them.

anyways, tavion is WAY hotter in JA than she was in JO.

and as for the stormies AI, turn up the difficulty level.

and as for the duel cultists, one with saber, the other with force, you COULD absorb their attacks...

...or you could use blow the force user away with a lightning blast. :D

Originally posted by anonymous4

voice actings SUCKS. ONLY kyle and luke's voice actings were good. the rest sucks. jaden korr both male and female voices suck. stormtrooper's voice is too static-y and i can barely listen to what theyre saying.

Jaden's voice sounds fine to me, and the Stormtroopers voices are supposed to have static in them...they're talking through the intercom thingies on their helmets! :rolleyes:

IMHO, JK2 was a good SP game with some bad puzzles and frustrating early levels.

However I enjoyed MP much more, because the moves felt tighter and you could do more of them (force wise and otherwise).

JA has some flaws that JK2 seemed to avoid, for example the bot support has a lot more quirks in it (especially on a map like Vjun... or in CTF, or in Siege they simply aren't there, no waypoints).

The SP game (though I haven't completed it) is more generic, as you'd expect in a game that lets you design your own character and pick the order you play missions in and skip some, etc.

However that being, said and despite a few bugs, I'm finding JA much more enjoyable overall than JK2. It meets or exceeds standards set by the first game in almost every area.

Not to flame, but I had to laugh at some of these complaints:

I agree with most said. mp is crap i had high hopes for siege (ive played alot of tow for moh) but the force drain on moves

This was for balance sake. Remember how everybody whined that the DFA, etc were "Spammed"? Well now you can't spam 'em!

Of course you can always up your mana regeneration rate and spam them again just like you could in JK2. One typed in command in the console or in your cfg file.

, no option for jedi only siege,

LOL!!! Did we both play the same game? Siege_Korriban is nothing but Jedi...

stuck in place during kata/specials,

You can spin 360 degress and aim up and down with the mouse during katas, did you know that? You can also "turn" with the mouse at various points during the Butterfly move. You can't spin during the DFA or Lunge, but why would you want to? You couldn't do that in JK2 1.04 either.. that's how Raven intended it.

The pivoting during the backstab and DFA were design oversights and exploits that Raven corrected in patches because that's how they intended to balance gameplay. They added in dedicated spinning special moves (that actually looked good rather than a weird buggy animation of a guy spinning in place while doing a move that doesn't spin) so people could still do that.

weak sabers,

LoL... saberdamagescale 2. Actually the sabers are just as "weak" as they were in JK2, because in JK2 you had to enter a command (saberdamagescale 2) to get 'stronger' sabers, so this comment is completely off base. You can make sabers kill in one hit with one command in any game mode, or you can make them do 1 hp of damage, again, by changing one number.

If you're talking about single player the same thing applies. You can adjust the damage and dismemberment already to your heart's desire. It's not hard.

no kick or slow daown move for s/o CTF ( none is playing s/o ctf),

The NG FF CTF elite thing rears its ugly head. Hey, I am trying to help you guys by suggesting solutions. Check the "Idea: How to Fix Sabers Only CTF.." thread (think it got pushed to page 2).

If that's all that's stopping you from liking JA, why don't you make a mod that puts flip kicks from JA single player into MP? Problem solved.

sucky levels and ugly hilts

Sucky levels? That's up for discussion, but the "ugly hilts" thing is nonsensical. In JK2 you only had one hilt, and in JA you can use that exact hilt if you want to. So really this argument works against JK2 which you seem to like better. Besides, making new hilts is a snap... and JK2 hilts work in JA as well. Frankly I don't see the huge deal, with one tiny model and texture you barely ever notice in a furious MP game...

and online servers have awful ping times all other games i play like bf1942sw all have sweet pings but ja have crappy pings....

Try All Seeing Eye. I did a scan right this second and I see 559 JA servers, 1063/7023 players and at least half of them are sub 200 ms ping (I'm on DSL in Iowa). The lowest pinged server is 63 ms. The next lowest is 104 ms. Etc...

Yes, there is a stupid bug in the master server/in-game browser that only shows like 30 servers, but with ASE you can see that the plain fact is there's way more than that and with better pings too.

I ve played sp a few times through its ok bit better than jo levs but still kinda boring the 3rd time...

What SP pc game these days is fun playing over and over again? Most people will play a game through once (if they finish it at all), maybe twice if it's really good (play it on easy the first time, hard the second time or use cheats to mess around) or has multiple endings. MP is what's designed for multiple plays.

and no npc's.... damn jk1 had civilians you could help made you feel more jedi like...

Again, we obviously didn't play the same games did we? JK1 and MotS had more "non combatant" npc's in SP than JK2 and JA combined. However JK2 had the ughnaughts, and JA has the Jawas (and I'm only halfway through the game and I noticed them). Both games had droids wandering around that wouldn't attack you. JA also has wandering herds of animals (like Taun Tauns).

It doesn't have as many as JK1, but saying it has "none" is totally wrong.

No server ever has the old maps on, and if they do, it's some crappy american server with 400 ping or more.

Well don't blame us "crappy Americans" blame your fellow Swedes who won't host the server with the maps you want.

I see seven Swedish servers and none of them are running custom maps, but that's not my fault or my countrymen's fault...

My point in all of this is NOT that JA is a perfect game, far from it. Or that it lacks flaws, it obviously has them.

But to bash it and act like JK2 was far superior I think reeks of over-nostaligic hubris about that game. If you liked the storyline better or the old maps better, that's fine (and of course as pointed out you can use all the old maps in the new game, some tweaking still required, though considering the mapping tools were just released, that should be far easier very soon)...

In the end there's no accounting for taste.

As usual Kurgan I am glad that there is at least one intelligent person in these forums to bring sanity to the mindless babbling.

Originally posted by Master William

No server ever has the old maps on, and if they do, it's some crappy american server with 400 ping or more.

The question is then: do you complain to the makers of the game or the admins of the Swedish servers you play on? I find it hard to make the connection that it's Raven's fault that the old JO maps aren't played in Sweden. I haven't had a problem with it yet here in the US of A. And to clarify, the reason that those "crappy" American servers have high ping is because there's an ocean between you and them. If you don't like the map rotations on local servers, make your own. Take some of Kurgan's advice while your at it.

I am also fairly confused as to why people don't like Tavion, I think her character design this time around is lightyears better than it was. I think the character artists did a pretty savvy job with everything, sans Rosh of course. But that goes without saying.

Gah! Blast you Kurgan for posting while I was typing.

Archived