Home

Am I the only one here who doesn't care what the secret of MI is?

Monkey Rhetoric

Am I? People seem to have written pages and pages of elaborate theories and all sorts of rubbish. Then there are the others who spend a considerable amount of time trying to disprove this stuff.

Are there any more of us who don't give a damn what Gilbert intended? All that matters is that the Monkey Island series is of high quality. The next two games follow on well in my opinion and is they create plotholes, well good, its adds to the general confusion that is Monkey Island.

Nope, you're not! It's interesting to read the theories and so on (up to a very limited point!), but at the end of the day I couldn't care less what the secret really is!

Having said that I'm sure I've discussed it at least a few times...

you are entitled to your opinion but its worth squat to most of us, in fact if you dont care why bother doing this? for all those who care like me, we are really greatful that someone takes the time to write and research all that stuff for us to read, if you dont give a damn about what Ron intended your mising the whole point of the game your opinion does not reflect that of others so bear that in mind so you wont end up lookin like an ass.

It depends, really. If the secret is a well thought-out one with deep meaning (such as, for example, the whole kids-in-a-themepark-revelation-thing) then I'd be very interested. If it were just something simple though ("lechuck is really your father!") then.. bleh. I don't care.

I'd prefere it to be something humerous rather than something deep and complex Something like the monkeys of the island formed a band in the late 1500's but then broke up over creative differences, or something stupid like that. I want to laugh at a Monkey Island game, not think about it.

But yeah, Monkey Island isn't exactly a big part of my life and doesn't steer my thinking of the future in any way, so contemplating the secret seems kind of remedial to me.

Saying that, I am now leaving LF... nah!

I hate to be the one to have to break the news, but the secret is; there is no real secret. They so much as tell us as much in the games, the way they poke fun, like Guybrush himself asking what the secret is. Games and movies need to have catchy titles in order for us to take note of them. How many of us would have noticed a box sitting on the shelf called 'Monkey Island'? Probably a lot of us, but add to it so it becomes THE SECRET OF MONKEY ISLAND! and a lot more people pick it up and say; 'hey, what's this, this looks cool, I wonder what the secret of monkey island is.' So they pop it into their computer, play it over and over for many years like everyone here, and forget/don't care that there isn't a secret. The secret of Monkey Island is a marketing tool, which over time and Ron Gilbert's smoke and mirrors has become a legend in and of itself, much like the Island in the story. Besides, would any of us here actually, honestly, truthfully be satisfied if someone came out and said; 'here it is, this is the secret, take it or leave it'? No, it is far more fun to imagine, and there is the secret, the secret of your own imagination.

P.S. ErnilPherianath, it's nice to see another phishhead on the net. On my way to the Velvet Sea I hit a possum on the road, and TIMBER, my poor heart was bouncing 'round the room. Hope you enjoy myself. Later all.

I hate to be the one to have to break the news, but the secret is; there is no real secret

I GUARANTEE that I have heard that EXACT sentence from many other people. Have you been following my life?;)

P.S. ErnilPherianath, it's nice to see another phishhead on the net. On my way to the Velvet Sea I hit a possum on the road, and TIMBER, my poor heart was bouncing 'round the room. Hope you enjoy myself. Later all.

Hehe. Tremendous.

My, I do love that band. My bud re-introduced me to the song "Piper" today, and I've listened to it a good 20 times already. Can't believe I overlooked it in the first place...

Piper huh? Guess I'll have to listen again. With a play list of about 300 different original songs in my collection it is hard to get to know them all. If you want to hear something really darn good, the forty minute version of You Enjoy Myself on LivePhish 14, 10.31.95 Rosemont Illinois is worth buying the four disc album for that song alone. Oh yeah, we're in the Monkey forum, guess I should say something monkey related. In EMI try picking up and using Elaine in her mansion right after the Catapult is destroyed, see what he says. And examine the prosthetic butt too, love that one. Hmm, catapult, another phish song.

• 5 weeks later...

I concur with Lefty.

There probably isn't a secret, or as someone else said (the name escapes me) Monkey Island itself is the secret. Monkey Isalnd is a secret island, which only a few people know of.

The game could have been called 'The secret that is Monkey Island' , but thats lame.

Like the porcelain (eugh) thing, there is no secret, just like there's no childhood truama about porcelain.

Its just funny.Which is what LucasArts is all about. Then people thought there was a history about it, so LA went along with it.

So, like secret sauce, there is no secret. It looks like Ketchup, smells like ketchup, and tastes like vomit. Of course, the vomit of a fat french man who likes to eat tomatoes, but vomit none the less. I'm sorry to burst your bubble, but the people have a right to know.

PS- To anyone who enjoys/prepares secret sauce, assume this is a light hearted joke. To anyone else, take it at face value, or if you wish, deep philosophical value. I don't care.

Originally posted by Bushmeister

Well I am inherently interested in it. Something humorous would be nice but I wouldn't entirely object to a serious and deep meaning. But hasn't somebody already got pretty close to it though?

There was that time at that chat with Ron where a few theories were thrown at him and he said one is close but not much. Theyre probably all far off, but one has a taste of the real thing.

I wonder what the secret of Monkey Island is, but not to the extent of readin many pages of theories.

I wouldn't have had the guts to start this thread though, for fear of being savagely beaten.

I think the secret (personally) has to do with the learge monkey head whick turns into a huge robot in EFMI. But who knows. It's a secret.

I guess I'll paste it again then.

Well this is all I know, and I learned it from Larry Ahern and Dave Grossman. [..] The explanation I heard is that Guybrush was lost in the Pirates Ride at Big Whoop Amusement Park the whole time, imagining the whole adventure. Then Chucky, his mean older brother goes and pulls him back to reality. The end. And that magical lightning coming out of Chucky's eyes and Elaine waiting by the hole on Dinky Island (which sounds a lot like Disney Land) was put there just in case there was to be a Monkey Island 3. The secret is that the MI world is not real

From the mouth of Bill Tiller and allegedly confirmed by Tim Schafer.

Originally posted by Jedi-Monkey

They arent Ron Gilbert though.

That theory was one of the ones they asked Ron about, and he said that it was wrong.

Well, don't believe everything Ron says. You don't really think he was the only one who wrote the story do you? The two first games were also written by Tim Schafer and Dave Grossman. Besides, pretty much the whole team on those games did know what the "secret" was.

Archived