Home

Just the Facts Please: The JKA Patch

razorace

I'm starting this to compile facts, and only facts, on the upcoming patch for JKA. Please do not post anything other than facts that you have personally received from Raven about the patch.

This is NOT a thread to ask for additional bugfixs/gameplay fixes.

This is NOT a thread for posting "Wow!", "Thanks!", or other useless and cluttering posts.

Anyway, I'll start the ball on the facts about the patch.

- Raven is working on getting a patch out for the game.

- Many members of Raven have been pushing for a patch for some time now. Something is slowing down their progress.

- There will be new maps in the patch.

- It is unlikely that there will be any major AI improvements in the patch.

- A bug fix for the single saber backward walking animation will be in the patch.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Vehicle control improved (SP, MP, both? not sure)
  • Dynamic glow speed and bug issues fixed
  • Bug fixes from the demo put into the single player game, such as fixed hub level loading for mappers (make level transitions like Deus Ex or HL expansions)

The first two I heard from Zer0-L0gic, a designer who worked on the Siege maps in JA. Not saying he's wrong, but information directly from the programmers should certantly be considered more carved in stone than from a designer. Just a general disclaimer so people don't beat me if those fixes aren't there. ;)

The last one I got directly from James Monroe via e-mail.

Razorace, do you know what maps are to be included?

• 2 weeks later...

i think someone should make a little noise and tell raven to consider about balancing the dual sabers' kata....the one where the two sabers spins really fast when spinning the mouse around. it's lame but it racks up kills in duels faster than you can say bananas.

Sorry to bring this up guys, but...

Could someone post a link to an offical statement made around here by either a Raven or Lucasarts representative that confirms a patch is being made in the first place? And that the above statements are actually facts?

There's several people over on the Ravenforums making a lot of noise that there has never been any "official" statement, and that all of this is community conjecture and heresay. While I disagree with them and think that a patch being under construction would be obvious, it is extremely difficult to track down any hard proof of it's existence. Thanks.

Originally posted by Akshara

There's several people over on the Ravenforums making a lotta of noise that there has never been any "official" statement, and that all of this is community conjecture and heresay.

They are correct. The fact is that there may be no patch at all. We'll have to wait and see.

Well, Kenn Hoekstra said in a brief reply to a member's email that there would be a patch, but its up to Activision and LucasArts on when it will be released. The reason for the patch is for obvious bugs/problems like the in-game browser being one, and other problems that need to be addressed by Raven and LucasArts.

Originally posted by Andy867

Well, Kenn Hoekstra said in a brief reply to a member's email that there would be a patch, but its up to Activision and LucasArts on when it will be released.

I realize that Raven developers are keen on a patch, and may haved worked on one. But until Lucasarts gives the go-ahead, there won't be one. That was the only point I was trying to make. :)

i think someone should make a little noise and tell raven to consider about balancing the dual sabers' kata....the one where the two sabers spins really fast when spinning the mouse around. it's lame but it racks up kills in duels faster than you can say bananas.

This and other gameplay changes are really unnecessary (and will piss off more people than it "helps"). Cruise the strategy forums and you'll see dozens of counters posted for this.

The fact is when I play certain people using the Saber Barrier is a death sentence for me, that's how easy it is to counter! ; )

Anyway, back to the facts about the patch...

Ok everybody, here's what I found on Ravenforums...

The following are a few Kenn Hoekstra quotes for all you keeping score. The first one is from an email sent in mid-September in reply to a request from Ravenfourms' very own Kathybates...

"Well…I hate to tell you this, but you were right. It’s a definite bug in the game. We’ve fixed the code on our end for a patch, but until the patch is available, there’s no way to work around it on the client end other than continually refreshing your server or by hosting your server through GameSpy Arcade".

This next one is in response to requests concerning the previous one, posted on Oct. 3rd by Ravenfourms' very own... well, Kathybates...

I realize that you think that I'm ignoring you, but that's not the case. There is a lot going on here this week and I've just gotten a bit behind on my e-mail.

If I could go into more detail about what we're doing over here right now, I certainly would. I thank you again for bringing the issue to our attention.

Once I know something more concrete, I will certainly let you (and everyone else) know.

--Kenn

And that's about it folks. So there's three things that can be taken from what was said... 1) Raven has fixed the code for the server bug, and is waiting for the go ahead to put it in a patch; 2) If they could go into more detail about the situation they would; and 3) As soon as they can tell us something, we'll be the first one's to know about it.

Anything else at this time is pure speculation and conjecture on the part of the JA community, including but not limited to the reasons why Raven can't discuss it, and why it hasn't been released yet. The only other official corroborating statements that we have to date are the ones we agreed to in the JA EULA, stating that LucasArts is the sole owner of JA and any other releases related to it.

-----

ps. I know these are old news (Rad, baby...), and that the source is, shall we say, just a little less than credible. But it's absolutely all we have right now, unless someone else comes forward with a communication.

Update

Ok everybody... the latest news over at Ravenforums comes from an email Kathybates received yesterday...

Sent: Tuesday, November 04, 2003 4:04 PM

Subject: RE: Frustration

Tony,

I understand your frustrations and what led you to move on to another game. Contrary to your beliefs, we are hard at work on a patch that will fix many of the problems you have mentioned, and hope to have this available sometime around the New Year.

Regards,

Now he doesn't list who this is from, but stated that it was a Raven official. Since KB has moved on to hosting another game, and from the levelheadedness of his recent posts, I personally have no reason to doubt the information.

So according to this, the patch is currently under development, but we shouldn't expect it until around the year's end.

ps. don't shoot the messenger.

Archived