Home

WIP: Snow speeder

tFighterPilot

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, there are, and the one in the front is a little off in size.

Some reference shots...

http://www.theforce.net/scifi3d/starwars/meshes/snowspeeder.jpg

http://www.starwars.jp/machine/image/snowspeeder.jpg

I'd really like to use it in my Hoth Siege map, I'm adding flyable snowspeeders. Coding it isn't going to be hard at all, it's just like a swoop, you only need to code pitch and some verticle movement, the rest you can do with the VEH files, which are plain text.

Lookin good, I was planning on doing a snowspeeder as one of my next projects even I knew about this one, but now I don't think another version will be necessary.

I'm curious though, will this thing be a flyable vehicle or more like the swoops, on land only. I ask because I know the snowspeeder can fly in the air more than a swoop or speeder but I think they're generally low altitude flying vehicles. I can't imagine one flying in space.

That's about perfect. My only suggestion is to make it a little brighter, like in this shot:

snowspeeder.jpg

Also, the additional red marks near the middle of the gun barrel don't belong, nor does that blue-gray stripe through the front red stripe. I'm not complaining, only pointing these out, if you wish to fix them (I could do it myself if I needed to (if it's a public release, which I assume it is)).

Also, a second version with a little snow piled on it would be really awesome.

Originally posted by Manquesa

Lookin good, I was planning on doing a snowspeeder as one of my next projects even I knew about this one, but now I don't think another version will be necessary.

I'm curious though, will this thing be a flyable vehicle or more like the swoops, on land only. I ask because I know the snowspeeder can fly in the air more than a swoop or speeder but I think they're generally low altitude flying vehicles. I can't imagine one flying in space.

Well I agree there, It would be better to make it more like the swoop bike.

1) It would be more usefull for maps.

2) Although speeders do have a much higher ceiling flight than your typical speeder, they are not space crafts. My guess is that they are intended to me mostly skimmers, however, they do need the capability to get across canyons, etc...

Originally posted by Emon

That's about perfect. My only suggestion is to make it a little brighter, like in this shot:

snowspeeder.jpg

Also, the additional red marks near the middle of the gun barrel don't belong, nor does that blue-gray stripe through the front red stripe. I'm not complaining, only pointing these out, if you wish to fix them (I could do it myself if I needed to (if it's a public release, which I assume it is)).

Also, a second version with a little snow piled on it would be really awesome.

I intend to brighten it up, just had that thought myself.

Actually that photo your posting is not totally accurate. I am going off photos of the actual models used in the movie. The problem here, is that everytime someone makes a new model representation, they miss a detail here and there. I am actually using a little bit of everything that I find. Here are some of the things that I have found to be different from the "Actual Movie Model". This is from several different photos that I have found, not just yours, but I thought you would find this interesting.

1) Some of the models within the movie have maintenance panels removed.

2) Panel lines change on just about every model I have come across (even yours is different from the actuall movie blueprints).

3) Most models have a vent panel (my blue square just front side of the cockpit)... the crazy thing is that the vent panel is located in a different position on almost every one I come across, yours doesnt even have that panel.

4) Your Photo shows a network of grey panel lines (around the backside of the harpoon), which I havent found on any model I've come across (to include the movie model).

5) Your Photo also shows a yellow panel line on the front side of the wing... I havent seen this in any of the photos Ive come across.

6) The Laser Cannons in your photo are silver, The movie model they are "ceramic coat white" (which actually I like yours best).

7) On one photo I have come across the red marking are grey.

8) Here is the funniest thing I have come across.... The Laser Cannon's actual design changes from model to model.

9) Some models have the red stripe on the nose of the craft, and some dont.

The reason I posted this is not to say your wrong, I'm just showing you that in most cases (even in the movies) that design change from ship to ship. I think that the creators get so tired of making the same models over and over, that they actually put a little change in each one for the sake of creativity.

I think your photo has some great things that I am actually using on this skin (you may have noticed). To be honest I actually made some changes that are not accurate, but its pretty close. I will make a few adjustments that will make the model stand out better. Thanks for you comments, I understand the points you have made :D Mars out

I have to agree with that, I posted this link in imyourfather's original thread about this model in the JA Modeling forum -- http://www.starshipmodeler.com/starwars/smith_sw.htm This site has the original movies models of the ship and is what I used for reference when making the textures for the snowspeeder prefab for JO as seen here -- http://www.pcgamemods.com/445/s The movie version is the version I prefer, but that's just me.

Also, I personally think the ship shouldn't be so bright and new, they're supposed to be dirty as the rebellion wasn't able to really take care of their ships and vehicles, they were just happy to keep them running and functional. Plus they should be battle scarred with blaster burns and what not, only problem with that is that everyone would have the exact same blaster burn marks and in the exact same spot on all of the ship, if you were playing a map where more than one person was flying one.

Originally posted by Manquesa

I did thought about it, and decided to make it a ship. I mean, it would be boring if you won't be able to move up and down... I believe it is possible to control how much it can pitch, so I'll just set it on a low value. Swoop type isn't right for this because A)They can stop in mid air, and B)Because when you leave them, they stay in air(I think)

Hmm, I didn't realize that before, marz. I compared that with a movie photo, and they appeared identicle, so I posted this one because it was far clearer. I forgot about changes between physical models as props for the vehicles, just like how there are several versions of the E-11 prop. I think Luke's pistol in ESB was supposed to be the same as Han's, but because of the physical differences, they just called it something different later.

Originally posted by Emon

Hmm, I didn't realize that before, marz. I compared that with a movie photo, and they appeared identicle, so I posted this one because it was far clearer. I forgot about changes between physical models as props for the vehicles, just like how there are several versions of the E-11 prop. I think Luke's pistol in ESB was supposed to be the same as Han's, but because of the physical differences, they just called it something different later.

I know, its crazy isnt it? I was actually working on an old "Enterprise" resin model for Star Trek. I wanted it to be just like the model in the old T.V. series. I found out that they changed the design of the old Enterprise 3 times during the original series run. It was funny because they would sometimes use stock footage of the old model flying around, then use a newer model in the same episode. This kind of thing goes on all the time in the movies. Its funny. Also they changed Mace Windus saber in episode 2. To my knowledge Jedi's arent suppose to re-build thier sabers every other decade just to be fashionable. Oh well:rolleyes: Mars out

Originally posted by NeoMarz1

It would be better to make it more like the swoop bike.

Originally posted by imyourfather

Swoop type isn't right for this because A)They can stop in mid air, and B)Because when you leave them, they stay in air(I think)

Hmm, 2 different answers from the makers, maybe a poll is in order

well, on Rogue Squadron, you can only fly so high off the ground, and if you flew off a moutain you just fell untill you got to the maxium altitude(sp?)

I'd make it a ship unless modding the maxium hight would be easy enough to try, cause even if there is a space level you could still use this vehicle anyway.

Archived