Home

ridiculously large cover scans etc

SpiffyTheDog

alright well i'm looking for some ridiculously large scans of the front and back covers of any of the following games:

-secret of monkey island (just the back - i've got the front)

-monkey island 2

-cmi

-emi

-full throttle

-the dig

-while i'm at it, any of the king's quest games

(by ridiculously large i mean at least 2170 pixels high. No, really.)

if you have some/know where i could find any you'd just be the most awesome person ever. Thanks etc.

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The fair solution would be to actually buy the games whose covers you are looking for. ;) No one on this forum would ever do such large scans like the one you're asking for, considering that these could be used for illegal reasons (like reprinting fake game retail boxes or whatever). :rolleyes:

When I scanned the art originally posters were my intention as well. And the image resolution is sufficiently high enough to fit on A1, or even A0 I think. However, its a touchy subject - I myself can get them printed on A0 or A1 for a paltry £10, but there is a copyright issue. If anyone did make posters, they would have to get them printed themselves, and not make any profit from them. My conscience is clean, anyway - if LucasArts made official box-art posters I'd buy them (like the FOA one) - but they don't.

I would stick them on a website, but each image is around 15Mb. This is because the plain image looks... well, not so great - not bad, but could be better. So I apply a few imaging effects and voila:

Actual Size sample of original image

Actual Size sample of edited final image

You already told me about the DVD covers and it sounds pretty cool :D

Originally posted by LucasTones

When I scanned the art originally posters were my intention as well. And the image resolution is sufficiently high enough to fit on A1, or even A0 I think. However, its a touchy subject - I myself can get them printed on A0 or A1 for a paltry £10, but there is a copyright issue. If anyone did make posters, they would have to get them printed themselves, and not make any profit from them. My conscience is clean, anyway - if LucasArts made official box-art posters I'd buy them (like the FOA one) - but they don't.

I would stick them on a website, but each image is around 15Mb. This is because the plain image looks... well, not so great - not bad, but could be better. So I apply a few imaging effects and voila:

Actual Size sample of original image

Actual Size sample of edited final image

You already told me about the DVD covers and it sounds pretty cool :D

What filter did you use when you edited the image? Or what techniques? You cleared the spots right outta there without smearing it. Looks great.

Yeah, it does look good considering the resolution. You can still kinda see the spots on his cheek, but its way better than the original.

As for filters - I used a program I have made by Micrografx. Its like Paint-Shop Pro or Photoshop but a lot less advanced and a hell of a lot cheaper. Anyway, it has a wide variety of image effects, and I fiddled around with various filters in order to remove the spots. I think I used a smoother and some artistic filters.

I totally get the legal issue, i'd personally just use it to hang in my own house. I've been waiting years for a possibility to have such posters but LucasArts just never makes them unfortunatly. Fortunatly with Pirates of the Carribean movie there was an official poster which i bought :)

Anyway i'd love to get these, so i can finally have a way of making myself a great poster. LucasArts is free ot make them theirselves though i'd be all for it :)

Well, the ideas in here are GREAT.

I too would love to have some hi-res scans of several covers (Especially Monkey Island 1-3, since I only have them as the German "Monkey Island Collection", which doesn't have the original covers).

Making DVD-Covers for them is a good idea, since the revised versions of some games (as available in the US and UK... not Germany :( ) do come in amaray-cases, which would make them nice to look at AND - as said - less fragile. Scans of those amaray-covers would be great too.

And last but not least, I (as the founder of the Soundtrack CD Covers of Monkey Island site, am planning to make more soundtracks as well as covers for all of them. There are a few problems though:

- I don't have all the games (or I don't have them with their original covers, since some of them came in some sort of collection)

- most of my German covers look slightly different (at least the German titles), and I would prefer the original English covers

- several sites on the web contain scans of covers (some on fan sites, some on site ESPECIALLY MADE for downloading covers), but they all have scans in terrible quality (or they are too low-res)

That's why I need perfect scans of english covers (meaning 300dpi and not too highly compressed)... especially from these games:

Day of the Tentacle

Sam & Max Hit the Road

Outlaws

Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis

Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine

Indiana Jones and the Emperor's Tomb

Dark Forces

X-Wing and (not "vs."!!!) Tie Fighter (if possible the original covers, since I already have the "CD-ROM Editions")

I would be really happy if you would participate in this and help me out.

Oh yeah, since I would love to make some posters, I would really like scans of Monkey Island 1-4 as well...

In one of my LucasArts Adventurers there's an advert for posters of box art for Maniac Mansion, Zak McKracken, Loom, Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade and The Secret of Monkey Island. I once asked LucasArts if these posters were still available and they said no.

Well, I don't have the images yet. I still need to scan all the boxes and edit the art - this I can do in an afternoon, but my scanner is in Preston and I am in Manchester. I'll be home before christmas, I'll do it then. As for sharing.. I'm undecided. Maybe you should ask Spiffy if he could give you them after I send them to him :)

my totally awesome agenda!:

1. Receive scans.

2. Make dvd covers.

3. Post dvd covers online and milk them for all they're worth.

4. Start a grand uprising of computer game dvd covers. Be in history books. Etc.

5. Sleep

perhaps after i make my first million i'll consider posting them all online in their raw form.

yes, this entire post was a joke after step 3.

except for that last part.

and that part.

and that.

and that.

and that. and that. and that.

and that.

Archived