Home

ridiculously large cover scans etc

SpiffyTheDog

Spiffy, the Indy poster rocks - I have it too. Its actually slightly larger than the standard one-sheet movie posters, and looks so professional. I have a poster for Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade as well (the movie) and the two look great side by side.

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply

cali- you could always just download the dvd covers and crop it so that you'd just have the front. If someone provided me with a suitable server I'd totally put them up, and if you ask me for them once I get them i'll gladly send them to you. I think tones would feel the same way here but i can't be sure. It's just not really that big of a deal. I'm lucky enough to be getting them free as they are from him.

• 1 month later...

Hmmm. I'm wondering if there's any progress on this idea?

I'd love to store my bulky, shelf-overhanging boxes away & just use DVD cases for my old games.

Oh, and converted to print-standard 300dpi JPG would be fine, I reckon. File size should be manageable at that resolution & file format.

Oh what to do what to do...

Well, I have the scans. They rock :D But I can't upload them all to my mojo space - they take up a LOT of space. There are 15 scans in all, every LucasArts classic adventure with both versions of Full Throttle. Resolution is, as requested, ridiculous. So, suggestions? I guess I could upload one per day for two weeks, but I would only be able to fit one on at a time - so if you miss a day, you miss a day. There's always IRC, I'm usually on there so if you want to come to #monkey-island on gamesnet I can DCC them to you.

Well, I know I'd be happy with standard magazine print resolution.

A DVD coverslick is 27.2cm x 18.2 cm

at 300dpi that reduces down to

3212 x 2149 pixels.

Your Zak McKraken front cover (very nice, by the way) at 100% JPG quality goes from 6312x8118 pixels to 1687x2149 pixels, the file size reduces to 2.4MB, and at 300dpi, the quality is absolutely fine. Saved at 95% JPG quality (indescernable from 100% quality when printed) it reduces in filesize by half again to 1.2MB.

While it's good to work in ridiculously high resolution, there is no need for the final uploaded version to be any greater resolution than magazine print quality - 300dpi.

Also, are you making full DVD slicks with spines and the back coming from the back of the original box, or just converting the front pictures of the boxes?

Also note that the original author of this thread was thinking 300dpi resolution when he said "ridiculously high"

(by ridiculously large i mean at least 2170 pixels high. No, really.)

21 pixels difference to my proposed final size - negligible. Just due to the DVD slick I measured being a mm or so different to the one he measured.

I don't know anything about dpi's or resolutions, I just scanned them at the same size as the Monkey Island one that I had already made. As Spiffy said that one was ok, I did the rest like that. Spiffy's the one making the dvd covers, and I scanned the back of the boxes for that purpose. I didn't think it would be necessary to upload those, as no-one wants a poster of the back of the box :)

So, jp-30 you sound like you know what you're doing with all this - is there any way you could upload a poster sized 300dpi resolution version of the Zak image? This way I can covert the rest of them to make it all easier for you lot.

I thought I'd revive this thread, since it's been a little quiet in here...

I would really love Maniac Mansion coming next... and if you have the PC-box of the game, could you scan the back cover too? (At least if it's the one containing that framed portrait of the Edisons... I still need that one for my soundtrack covers.

Oh, and any chance to scan the back of the "Zak McKracken" box too? Actually I don't know what's ON the back of the box... maybe it's not even good enough for a cover...

Do Loom!! But do it properly - or else there'll be trouble. (I've tried to make some decent versions of the main theme myself, but they've all sucked. There is a decent copy of it out there, though... somewhere.)

And the covers are slowly being converted and reduced in file-size, and I've found some server space with enough room for all the scans - but its low bandwidth.

Originally posted by Laserschwert

could you scan the back cover too? (At least if it's the one containing that framed portrait of the Edisons... I still need that one for my soundtrack covers.

I can get you just a scan of that portrait if you'd like. I can't promise it'll be good though.

EDIT: I'm guessing you'll need something cleaner than this.

Actually I don't need the Maniac covers anymore... at least not very urgently. Read my post in the soundtracks-thread.

Regarding the cover-scans topic: I think about doing DVD-covers for most LucasArts games... works if you can get those scans done, LucasTones.

And for printing posters, I would really LOVE to have some high-res scans from the "Monkey Island" boxes...

Archived