Home

ridiculously large cover scans etc

SpiffyTheDog

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's a good start. But there are some problems with your cover. First of all the scan is a little rotated clockwise.... you should fix that. Then there's the text on the back cover. You took the "unsmoothened" text from the back cover, right? I think it'd be better to retype the text, and replace the background with a self made paper-texture.

Then of course there's the side of the cover. I think it's be best not to try to go for a unique style on the side for every game. It's better to decide for a style that goes for all the games, so that they look like a collection if they're put on the shelf.

I'll try do create on too. Could you upload the pure front and back scans?

well I do have a pretty good server - the host said it included 'unmetered bandwidth' which i assumed just meant unlimited. Sadly it just means I'm allowed to use as much as I want but when the server's had it, it's had it, and it goes down for about an hour. I'll work on the collection feel of the covers, this one I made a whlie ago and kind of forgot about. My time spent on the computer will be pretty limited for about a week so I'll get on them next week sometime. If you want the scans, talk to lucastones.

here's a little preview of the one i'm working on now. I'm still a little iffy on the background color and i might make the sqaure with a look at the original cover bigger. Feedback please (whipped this up in about five minutes.)

somipreview.jpg

also my lcd's doing this freaky thing where the background color totally changes hues when i look at it from different angles, its way psychedelic.

Oh god, my eyes!!!!!!! :eek:

:cool: Ah, better.

Well, if it has to be purple (or let's call it "lifestyle-blue"), just tone brightness and saturation down... (actually, I would go with a black or "silver"-grey background)

As for size of the front image, take a look at the "Walt Disney Treasures" tin-cases:

CLICK HERE

But without that blue stripe underneath (which is actual a paper sleeve around the tin). At that size you can take the complete cover, and not just a section of it.

Have you thought about consecutive spine pictures? You know, if you put them all on the shelf back to back you get a picture or logo...

Otherwise I agree with Laser, a more eye-friendly hue and the full cover art would be nice. Although I like the simplistic approach some credits, quote and/or in-game screenshots on the back could work, too.

So, I did something myself now... it's clearly based on the Disney Treasures, but I like it. Tell me what you think:

mi_dvd.jpg

I like the idea of sorting the games chronologically on the shelf, hence for the year on the spine. The Treasures have a timeline on the back, showing the year more graphically... maybe I could add that to the lower blue stripe on the back cover...

Oh, and as for the continueous spine-image... that won't work here, of course. But maybe you could gradually change the color of the stripes... like the next game has dark-purple stripes, the next one magenta, the next one red, then orange, then yellow, then green and so on...

I think we should throw this open forum, so to speak. The scans will be online in a week (they're ready - well, they've been ready for a while, some people have been lucky enough to catch me on IRC and I've sent them) I just need to sort out this ftp so I won't get noticed by the network administrators.

Once they're online I suggest anyone who has an opinion designs their own little version, then in a month or so just sit back and discuss the overall ideas from each person.

Spiffy, your idea is my favourite so far - as long as that purple cover would actually be a sleeve; which could then be removed to reveal the original boxart. You know what I mean.

I also like the spine image idea, but it wouldn't work if we were to include games such as Sam and Max 2, which obviously aren't available yet. This could be a "LucasArts Adventures: The Golden Years" kinda thing though, and then the newer titles would be exempt. As for a spine logo - it would either need to be the LucasArts logo, or in a perfect world a wide montage of all the games. That would need to be some seriously good fanart though.

I've edited together a preview of how my idea would look on the shelf:

midvdsides.jpg

But basically I don't like it that much... though it would be nice to have consecutive spines, maybe people don't have all the games, and so they're missing parts of the spine-image... or they don't want to put the games in chronological order, but for example all "Monkey Island" games next to each other... or vice versa... depending on the order we decide on. And the same goes for my color gradient idea, which would look ugly if colors were interchanged... so, as far as my design goes, I think I'll stick to the blue stripes.

Oh, and as for a montage of the games... who did the painting at the head of the "Monkey Island"-forum here on Mojo? Maybe he'll help out...

The idea of a cut-out sleeve (with a hole to show part of the box-art) sounds very interesting. I think I've seen this on a few DVD-movie-cases... if I remember correctly the "Scream"-trilogy was one of those.

I am a fan of simplistic cover art in general... I've done some myself, for example for the three "Jurassic Park" DVDs:

JP-Covers.jpg

But I think if you have one big area of the same color, it should have a very low saturation. I prefer black, because it's easier to look at. Maybe the design should go in the direction of the "Criterion Collection"-DVDs (at least some of them). Some examples:

The Rock

Armageddon

Spartacus

The Vanishing

For All Mankind

But still, we should incorporate the original box-art somehow... at least I like them very much, so they should be on there.

Originally posted by Laserschwert

So, I did something myself now... it's clearly based on the Disney Treasures, but I like it. Tell me what you think:

mi_dvd.jpg

I like the idea of sorting the games chronologically on the shelf, hence for the year on the spine. The Treasures have a timeline on the back, showing the year more graphically... maybe I could add that to the lower blue stripe on the back cover...

Oh, and as for the continueous spine-image... that won't work here, of course. But maybe you could gradually change the color of the stripes... like the next game has dark-purple stripes, the next one magenta, the next one red, then orange, then yellow, then green and so on...

That looks amazing.

I can't wait for the rest of the scans though.

The Jurassic Park ones are nice, Laserschwert. They inspired my first attempt at one of these DVD covers - I just knocked it up over the last hour or so, its only a prototype, so to speak. This is why the dimensions probably aren't DVD resolution.

Loom Box (small preview)

Loom Box (much larger resolution)

Let me know what you think. I don't think this design, simple as it is, would work for all the boxarts though, so if it were to be a "complete collection", as it were, another design would be needed.

edit: It occurred to me that the image looked a little different to the others so far - I didn't put a bar to separate each section of the dvd like everyone else. Here they are with these bars, which wouldn't be on the real ones but help to show what it would be like.

Loom Box (small preview)

Loom Box (much larger resolution)

@Tones:

Nice, that's the design replicating the original boxes for amaray-cases... I like it. I recently purchased "The Dig" in a DVD-case, and it also had the original artwork and design, just rearranged to fit the new format.

So, this would be another way... trying to keep the original box-design. But there has to be one uniform mark to all the covers, maybe like that sticker, which you extended into the spine... the problem is: the stickers aren't at the same position on all boxes, and newer games don't have the sticker at all. But we always could retouch the images to get rid of the sticker (I did that for some of the CD-covers on my site), and create a new "stripe" from scratch.

(in case you have the manuals for some of the games, most of them have the box-art without any stickers, quotes or tag-lines on their covers... which I prefer. You can always add that stuff yourself afterwards)

I was already thinking about using the original logos on the spine, and not the uniform font that I used on my design. And according to your mockup this might work...

EDIT:

Adding to that, another design idea of mine:

mi_dvd2.jpg

I incorporated the LucasArts "L" and used the colors of their C.I. - the blue-purple from the L, and the yellow-orange from the gold-guy himself.

This design shows a problem which might occur when using the original titles for the spine: they might be too high! I tried to put the words "Monkey" and "Island" in just one line, but that didn't look good... another title that might cause this problem is the "Indiana Jones"-title. And as you can see, scaling them down to fit in height makes them too small...

EDIT 2:

Just one more for the road... going as symplistic as possible:

mi_dvd3.jpg

I really like the cover made by SpiffyTheDog (except the IBM thingy :/ ) and amongst the ones proposed by Laserschwert my preference goes this one http://www.scummbar.com/mi2/temp/mi_dvd3.jpg.

A suggestion though : it would be even greater if you'd add a "book texture" similar to the one used for LOTR 4DVDS Edition, and the excerpt from Guybrush Threepwood's Journal on the back of the Cover. Making each MI cover with this style but différent color would be really great.

It should be noted that on the Monkey Island boxart, the side does actually have the two words from the logo side by side instead of one on top of the other.

The second of your latest designs is also very good, but a little too simple I think. Maybe if the original art was there in part, in a very subtle dark grey or something... but I dunno.

Archived