Home

ridiculously large cover scans etc

SpiffyTheDog

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here we go:

mi_dvd6.jpg

The leather texture was scanned from the limited edition of the LOTR soundtrack... that one could of course be made in different colors (which really doesn't work for my 4th design... which used the scanned book texture of the "Pearl Harbor - Director's Cut" DVD).

Now, these designs are pretty simplistic... but the question is, would these work for the other games besides the four MIs, too? Design No.4 definetly wouldn't... but maybe we actually don't need the same design for all games, instead we should incorporate design-elements that are the same on every cover... like the year on the top, the LucasArts-logo, maybe a small version of the original logo from each game someplace else, and the same font for the game's name on every spine. By this, you can make it feel more collection-like, but give every cover a design the fits the different games.

Looking at all my "Universal Pictures"-DVDs, they do it this way. At least their old design (here in Europe... by now they've change it) included a golden bar at the top and the bottom, and an image of the lead-actor below the upper bar, and then a Columbia and a Universal logo... and then there's the DVD-logo in the lower bar.

EDIT:

All right, returning to my earlier ideas, incorporating the original box-artwork:

mi_dvd7.jpg

:eek: I won?? Already???

I thought we were just coming up with ideas...

Oh no!! Does this mean I have to do them all in hi-res now??? :eek: :eek: :eek:

@CaliMonk:

About the DOTT-green, yes, I too felt that the green was too bright and saturated... I was just too lazy to correct it. I'll tone it down for the...

...for the... :(

... HI-RES VERSION! :crybaby:

But all right, if this is it, we still have to decide on the games, and their colors... something that fits each game...

EDIT: I corrected the DOTT-green... see above.

Originally posted by Laserschwert

midvdsides.jpg

that looked like a good enough listing of games. As for colors, well, full throttle should definetely be black. That's all i can think of right now.

Also, basically on my version of the covers, the only reason it's not all good and stuff like yours is because i'm no good at making covers. I'm glad that any covers are being made.

All right... I thought of some more games, so probably these are the ones:

- Maniac Mansion (1987)

- Zak McKracken (1988)

- Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (1989)

- Loom (1990)

- The Secret of Monkey Island (1990)

- Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge (1991)

- Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis (1992)

- Day of the Tentacle (1993)

- Sam & Max Hit the Road (1993)

- The Dig (1995)

- Full Throttle (1995)

- The Curse of Monkey Island (1997)

- Outlaws (1997)

- Grim Fandango (1998)

- Escape from Monkey Island (2000)

Did I miss anything?

I guess it will only be the "real" adventures then (except for Outlaws, which I think still deserves to be in there). Maybe we can do a "Star Wars"-Collection too, for games like X-Wing, Tie Fighter, Rebel Assault, Dark Forces and so on...

Oh, about the back covers... Besides the section showing the original back of the box, should I add something like a bar-code and copyright stuff, to make it look more "purchased"?

All right... I thought of some more games, so probably these are the ones:

<snip>

Did I miss anything?

I think thats all, i dont really care about all the Star Wars games :p

I guess it will only be the "real" adventures then (except for Outlaws, which I think still deserves to be in there). Maybe we can do a "Star Wars"-Collection too, for games like X-Wing, Tie Fighter, Rebel Assault, Dark Forces and so on...

Would be fine i reckon.

Oh, about the back covers... Besides the section showing the original back of the box, should I add something like a bar-code and copyright stuff, to make it look more "purchased"?

Well i kinda like it the 'plain' way it is now, however do you have an example of how you had this in mind?

Something like this:

mi_dvd7sammax2.jpg

The little text says:

"LucasArts and the LucasArts logo are all registered trademarks or trademarks of Lucasfilm Ltd. © 2004 Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. or Lucasfilm Ltd. & ® or ™ as indicated. All rights reserved."

... taken from the LucasArts website.

Oh, by the way, what I would just LOVE to have on the front cover are the original box-artworks, but without the logos... there are some manuals where a much "cleaner" artwork is used as covers... does anybody know about other such artworks of the games?

Something like this:

The little text says:

"LucasArts and the LucasArts logo are all registered trademarks or trademarks of Lucasfilm Ltd. © 2004 Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. or Lucasfilm Ltd. & ® or ™ as indicated. All rights reserved."

That doesn't look too bad, i wouldn't mind if thats in there. Not that i feel it would add alot of value either, i just don't mind :)

Oh, by the way, what I would just LOVE to have on the front cover are the original box-artworks, but without the logos... there are some manuals where a much "cleaner" artwork is used as covers... does anybody know about other such artworks of the games?

Perhaps if you could give a list of which games? I do have some originals and i just Bought MI and Maniac Mansion in original box from ebay so they might be good looking but i can't tell yet.

Yeah, I want them too...

And Tones: Don't forget the BACK-covers!! :tsk:

;):p

I actually have all the front covers from LucasTones i've gotten them through IRC, he has quite a fast connection ;)

I wanted to stick them online but my webspace is no longer available due to repeated DDoS (running an IRC network.. ¬¬)

Basically of all of the games (with the exception of "Sam & Max", I already used that "logo-less" image at my cover above), but first of all I guess we should wait for Tones' scans.

Adding to that, on the other hand, the images look pretty dull without the logos, since they were painted with a logo in mind, so they have a pretty empty spot where the logo should go. So, I changed my mind, and now I think the original box-fronts will do fine.

I'm very impressed with these covers.. very impressed. It would be awesome to print those off onto thick textured card to get the whole leather effect. I was about to let you all download the scans, but I encountered a hitch - Bullet-Proof FTP just expired - is there any software people can recommend to me? Also, some of the scans are still in the 30mb region, I've converted most though. And some, like the Dig, are awkward because they're so black.

Also, regarding titles - the full titles should be used on the covers - ie:

Maniac Mansion (1987)

Zak McKracken & The Alien Mindbenders (1988)

Indiana Jones & The Last Crusade (1989)

Loom (1990)

The Secret of Monkey Island (1990)

Monkey Island 2: LeChucks' Revenge (1992)

Indiana Jones & The Fate of Atlantis (1992)

Maniac Mansion 2: Day Of The Tentacle (1993)

Sam & Max Hit The Road (1993)

Full Throttle (1994)

The Dig (1995)

The Curse of Monkey Island (1996)

Grim Fandango (1998)

Escape From Monkey Island (2001)

I think these years are the correct ones, but not definately.

Also, I should mention - I have the 2 different Full Throttle boxarts, I scanned them both. Take your pick, they're essentially the same anyway.

Archived