Home

ridiculously large cover scans etc

SpiffyTheDog

Wow, impressive. If only Monkey Island 4 didn't suck so much with its "Ultimate Insult" and constant use of the word "Heck" instead of "Hell". But I'm not trying to turn this into another "MI4 sucks" thread. Its just that reading that box cover reminded me of how much it sucked.

But those covers are well impressive rodekill. Well done to you.

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice covers :)

Just to let you all know that the LucasCovers site will be online by September - we're planning on using the covers submitted in this thread (you'll be credited, naturally) so if anyone has any objections please let us know :)

I disapprove. But only out of habit.

Why are you still LucasTones instead of elTee?

rodekill, those are some great covers. The only minor beef I have is the tape on the back. It's a little counter-atmospherical. Then again, I can't come up with an alternative. It has to look flat, so a nail isn't gonna work...

Actually, that was the idea with the tape.

I wanted something a little out of place to throw people off, like a lot of the stuff in the MI games. The seriousness of the covers alone didn't give enough of a sense of the humour in the games.

Hmm...

Anyways, thanks for all the comments.

• 2 months later...

i'd say it's high time for a...

THREAD RESURRECTION!

Keep them covers a-crankin', boys!

edit- rodekill your links totally don't work anymore and i never saw them to begin with. I got a business to run here, fellas, a business! I can't deal with dead links like that!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...
Any chance someone has a better, enlarged version than what the scummbar has of this:

monkey1-titel042304111232.jpg

I would like to be able to read what it says. The LucasArts Museum doesn't have it along with its MI US Gold edition, so I assume someone else must have it, right?

Is that an advertisement from a magazine?

• 2 weeks later...

Here is WOTC, as of today it's back on the net:

wotc-banner.gif

If you go to the classic tales section you'll find some covers I designed for MI1 and MI2:

Classic Tales

Just wondering, does anybody of you have a hires scan (and I mean as hires as Tones' scans) from the MI2-Kixx-Box? Still need it to touch up the original Box-scan... and if there's any MI1-cover out there, that has the covered-up section of the MI1-box, scan it!!

Thanks for your time.

I can later upload some high-res scans of the front and back (before they were recoloured for my covers) if requested. They are 100% my scans, and 100% my designs (aside of course from the fact they're scanned LEC designs). Let me know what you think.

mi_dvd.jpg
For those who are interested, the box art in this picture was originally my "design". It was "featured" on my old WOTC homepage. It's not very good, and I know that you can find a cropped and enlarged JPEG version of it at World of MI. The version I published was "version 6", this is the original picture, in all it's glory:

http://plamdi.com/files/m1box6.png (695KB)

It's the original file, in it's original size, without JPEG compression from which you find the uncredited image at World of Monkey Island:

http://www.worldofmi.com/imageviewer.php?image=thegames/monkey1/MI1poster.jpg

This was the final version, but I don't think it ever made it to my old site... version 7:

m1box7.jpg

The colour where the "system requirements box" would be is flat because I used a black and white source and coloured it to fill-in that area. I don't know exactly what version Laserschwert originally used, but you can see clearly that it was one of mine. Because:

1. the dimensions of mine are unique, and it's the same.

2. the system-requirements-box-region is the same.

3. Elaine's hand and the monkey's knee are grey and non-coloured (the same).

4. The front "native" holding a spear at the left side of the box was also added in from a black and white source and so is significantly darker than the one behind him, and the hues on the left do not match the hues on the right as they do in the original box art.

I don't mind it being uncredited, I just think it's a hopeless box art and it really shouldn't be distributed when there are far better scans, etc. I have some excellent scans now which I've scanned myself.

Eh to heck with it I may as well make a triple-post!

"Clean" MI1 box art (5.08 MB): mi1.png

"Clean" MI2 box art (4.40 MB): mi2.png

Both losslessly compressed in the PNG format. More-or-less 300dpi. Clean meaning they're basically the complete box arts (no "system requirements" rubbish or anything).

If I remember correctly I just found the "cleaned" MI1-image through Google image search. I just wish there was a scan of the official "clean" artworks (even without the MI logo)

Of course that cover-design you've quoted from me was just a mock up, never existing in hi-res because of the lack of a hi-res boxart.

By the way, your new cleaned images look very nice... I think I'll use them to make some mini-posters or even some more covers.

EDIT: I think the download link to your MI2-scan (or the file itself) is broken... I've tried several times, but it downloads only a part of it.

EDIT 2: Never mind, it works. By the way, did Steve Purcell paint both of the artworks, or only MI2? Maybe he would be the right person to ask for a clean image...

• 1 month later...

Hi, long time lurker, first time poster.

I was wondering... Will there be any more DVD covers? The Sam & Max and Day of the Tentacle ones looked awesome. If the rest of these were made available, they'd look fantastic on a shelf together.

Also, sorry for the necropost.

• 10 months later...

Holy jumping vanilla flavoured midgets on a cloud of greenhouse gasses!

Please upload the rest of the DVD covers. I knew about the lucascovers site, but I had no idea there were more. I'm impressed. I'd love to get my hands on those Jurassic Park covers too. I hate the official ones.

Anyways, yeah, the covers are awesome. I'm torn though... I think the Fate of Atlantis Cover would be cool if you made it just like the covers of the DVD movies. There is room in the box set if you take out the bonus material disc! I'd do it myself, but I'm having trouble finding a big scan of the art for the game without the logo and stuff.

In fact, I just started playing Fate of Atlantis for the first time. Maybe it won't turn out like I've heard. I haven't even seen the Indiana Jones movies either...

Anyways.... that version of SOMI with the journal leather background is awesome. You should do that to all the monkey island games. Or at least give me the backgroud with the yellow logos and I can do the rest.

• 5 months later...

The whole downtime thing probably caused some of this. I don't know how many of the files still exist, but I'll probably be able to whip something up over the next few days. If nothing else I'll get the cover scans stored so that people can start making new covers.

Hey there, it's funny that I found this forum.

I've got a ridiculously large scan of the coverart of Monkey Island 2, without any letters or added taglines or anything.

I also have a ridiculously large version of the Grim Fandango concept art, (the Rubacava one) and the Maniac Mansion Edison painting.

I just don't know where to upload. The files are like 90 MB in size uncompressed. :D

I've got the Monkey Island 2 and Grim Fandango one hanging in my room! ^^

• 3 weeks later...

Archived