Home

ridiculously large cover scans etc

SpiffyTheDog

Well, I took the years from the LucasArts site... right HERE...

But 30MB???? You're clearly doing something wrong here. First of all, you don't have to scan them at a resolution higher than 300dpi, because that's the resolution all standard print articles are printed at. I scaled your "Zak"-cover down to that size (which is still close to 2700 x 3400 pixels), and saved it as a JPEG at a quality of 100%, and still just got to 6.5MB ... while going down to 80% quality, resulted in a file size of just 1.5MB, with no notable loss in quality.

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I assume it has something to do with the fact that he mentioned the possibility of using them to make posters.

ALSO:

My color ideas.

Maniac Mansion (1987) - no idea. Purple?

Zak McKracken & The Alien Mindbenders (1988) - again, no idea. I never played this.

Indiana Jones & The Last Crusade (1989) - orange-ish

Loom (1990) - no idea (i never played loom)

The Secret of Monkey Island (1990) - reddish (as the preview is) or dark green

Monkey Island 2: LeChucks' Revenge (1992) - blueish/purplish

Indiana Jones & The Fate of Atlantis (1992) - orange-ish (as preview is)

Maniac Mansion 2: Day Of The Tentacle (1993) - green (as the preview is)

Sam & Max Hit The Road (1993) - blue (as the preview is)

Full Throttle (1994) - black

The Dig (1995) - light blue (like the logo is, kind of.)

The Curse of Monkey Island (1996) - yellow (wow, running out of colors)

Grim Fandango (1998) - purple

Escape From Monkey Island (2001) - yellow

Oh, by the way, what I would just LOVE to have on the front cover are the original box-artworks, but without the logos... there are some manuals where a much "cleaner" artwork is used as covers... does anybody know about other such artworks of the games?

Some, like Drew Struzan's Indiana Jones FOA cover can be found clean online I'm sure- I'll take a look around for you. And between old magazine ads, box art, and manual covers, and plain old photoshop trickery I could probably whip together "clean" versions of a number of those titles. :)

In fact, I reckon Drew's Last Crusade poster would fit better than the original photo used on the boxart;

The original (photo) art could be recreated with a better version of this publicity shot;

http://movieartofsweden.com/images/5515_picture.jpeg

But maybe it would be better yet to utilise some Drew Struzan artwork like these;

http://home.planetinternet.be/~bliek/indianacrus.jpg

http://www.hundland.com/posters/i/IndianaJonesAndTheLastCrusade-Pepsi.jpg

Originally posted by Laserschwert

Oh, by the way, what I would just LOVE to have on the front cover are the original box-artworks, but without the logos... there are some manuals where a much "cleaner" artwork is used as covers... does anybody know about other such artworks of the games?

Yeah, the Sam & Max one looks a lot better because the logo isn't repeated.

For Mi2 you could use http://www.scummbar.com/resources/downloads/wallpapers/lechucksrevenge-640x480.jpg (available in higher resolutions at TSB), or just airbrush the logos out. Or keep them in, if you think it would be better, and I coud airbrush them out for me! Whatever.

They do look really really fantastic though. :D

I like whats going on here, those designs are really cool! Though it might make them look too boring, I think the "textured" look of the backgrounds is a little cheezy, unless you're planning on somehow doing embossed paper so the texture come through in 3D like a book cover or fancy schmancy DVD cover... Might want to try a plainer color background? Then again, maybe not. Its cool that you guys are doing this :)

Mmh... no texture? Here ya go:

mi_cov.jpg

dott_cov.jpg

indy_cov.jpg

sammax_cov.jpg

Though it looks a little dull, maybe if we go with Tones' idea of printing it on textured card, the texture would come from there. The best would of course be, if the golden stripes and letters could be real shiny golden... I am not sure though how that would work when printing at home. I mean, there is golden paper to print on, but I am not sure as of how the other colors will cover on that surface...

Oh, and for re-uniting old and new ideas:

mi_cov_ph.jpg

I still like this book texture... though - as said - it probably only would work with a few games (like Monkey and Indy)... what about an "Monkey Island Collection"-cover for a 5- or 6-disc Alpha-case...?

Laser:

I just now joined this site to tell you how amazingly excellent your DVD cover designs are. Now all I have to do is find empty DVD cases, and I'm set. :thumbsup:

Also: Cannot wait until these are done! :stan:

Edit: Have you thought about making a single DVD cover for the Monkey Island Madness compilation? That would be cool. :angel:

If there was to be a site devoted to DVD covers, of course, then I think it would be better if there were several designs available so you could choose which one you wanted based on personal preference. I mean, maybe someone just wants a cover for one game, whereas others (like me) would prefer a whole collection. This way though, anyone who makes a design - Laserschwert, obviously, and Spiffy etc can submit them and people can choose which one they want. Not just one definative "this is the design" kinda thing.

Personally, I want DanSky to do one ;)

That sounds good... so, let's tell Jake.

Jake!? We're gonna put up a site for DVD-covers... kay??

But the idea of bringing in "real" artist (like Paco, Ado or Dan Lee) would expand our possibilities big time. I mean, right now we're pretty restricted to the original box-artworks... but with those guys onboard, we could go for completely new stuff...

Or what about a fan-art competition regarding alternative front covers for all the games... I don't mean the way we're doing it here, just "re-arranging" existing material, but basically painting new covers, trying to mimic the style that Purcell or Struzan used for the original boxes. Maybe Mojo or the ScummBar can host such a competition...

LucasTones, I tried to send you a forum PM but it said your inbox was full so I'm posting it here instead:

I am very interested in the hi-res cover scans you offer. I'm not sure I'll be able to come up with a brilliant design for DVD covers but I'll give it a shot, mostly I'm interested in printing out super sized posters for myself and friends.

I don't frequent the lucasforums as much as I frequent the AGS and AG forums so if you do give me FTP access it would be great if you could mail me at esseb<at>esseb<dot>com* instead of sending me a forum PM since I'll probably not notice it. I will be away on Saturday and Sunday so I might not be able to download the files until Monday.

--Esseb.

* cleverly concealed e-mail adress to fool e-mail harvesters.

I'd be happy to set up a "covers.mixnmojo.com" webspace for a site dedicated to this sort of thing, assuming someone with a better grasp of web programming (and more free time) than myself could set it up.

Were the site to exist it would very nice if the covers could be sorted by collection (ie "Laserschwert's Adventure Cover Collection") or by game (ie "every DVD cover slipcase design for Monkey Island 2"), and of course allow for people to add their own if whoever ran the site thought they were cool enough to add.

Just an idea.

Archived