Home

An open letter to Raven Software and Lucasarts

Lord Sokar

Sokar,

I can feel your pain man. We have 20 people in our order and none of us can get a server to consistantly show in the list (if at all). That makes it awfully hard to enjoy playing the game together.

Anyway, what a shame so many server ops are having this problem after spending their time and money to set servers up that no one can enjoy.

What a bummer.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^ This has little to do with finding servers. It has more to do with hosting a server and it staying empty 24/7 because if it isn't in the in-game browser, it WILL be empty.

The game needs a patch overall, but I always found that the net code was pretty descent. The graphics optimization left much to be desired. I have a 3ghz, 2mb RAM, ATI Radeon Pro 9700 video card and force power animations KILLED my computer. That shouldn't happen. JK:JO ran much, much more smoothly.

The SP game just seems trashed in oh so many ways. You can start with the movement there. I want a character that runs on the ground, not floats over it. It looked terrible. I walked EVERYWHERE.

Just an update on the server. After two days of increased heartbeats, the server remains unlisted.

If it doesn't happen before the end of this weekend, I'm pulling the plug. At that point, I guess I gotta decide if I'm going to play at all any more (which sucks if I don't, such a bummer) or if I try to put a server back up after the patch, if there IS a patch.

But there is one thing I will promise myself. I will not go through another JK:JO 1.03 patch again. If they screw the game play, then there's just no more point, even if the server list is fixed.

I'm aware of the topic... read every post including your initial letter. Simply trying to help make a bad situation better. If we got the word out about ASE and QT more clearly across the community, then the ingame browser wouldn't be such an issue. I looked for your server the other night in both, but it wasn't back up yet I guess.

But if I can be totally honest, it sounds like you're pretty bitter with the whole thing anyway - which is understandable. Maybe it would be best if you just let it go regardless, at least for a little while. Unless a miracle occurs, the patch isn't going to be out by the end of the weekend.

My advice is if you really want to host a JA server, try to help us find a community based solution. And you have to ask the question honestly, a lot of people are using ASE and QT but still don't come to my server: why?

On the other hand, if your don't really want to host a JA server in your heart right now, then it's ok to walk away and put your resources into something else. You can still come back as a player anytime, without all the stress involved.

I'm simply trying to assist with you finding clarity with it all, not giving you a hard time in the slightest. Hope you can read it that way. Trust your feelings...

Akshara,

People do come to his server when it is listed in the ingame browser. I've watched it every day in ASE. I could always tell when it was listed because it suddenly filled up and stayed full. Unfortunately, >90% of the kids who buy the game don't come to these forums to learn about ASE or Qtracker, they rely on the ingame browser and have no idea it is crippled.

Lord Sokar,

If you don't want to waste more money while waiting for The Patch, I totally understand. Don't renew your lease, and start up again after The Patch is released. Just don't go away forever though. We need more good admins to counter all the sucky 13-year-old admins out there.

Take care!

^ Awwww! Where did the avatar of the hottie go? Who was that anyway?

I'll probably not invest any more time in the game until after a patch comes out (if it comes out). See what the situation is then and maybe try again. I guess it all depends.

But it really seems like the community is fading FAST. That's really a shame. Such a potentially cool game wasted.

Originally posted by razorace

Do we have any evidence that the community is fading quickly or is it just personal obversations?

*insert Phil Hartman's voice*

I think people are basing it on the fact that servers that used to be full constantly or atleast when the showed on the master list, are not getting the traffic they had and some aren't getting any at all.

I use ASE mostly so really I can't say if there is an overall decline in the amount of usage, but I used the in game browser just to see how many servers came up. This was during the peek time for the west coast(US), and I counted around a hundred and fifty or so people playing and only about 30 or 40 servers.

Now what this tells me is that only 150 people were using the in game browser possibly less due to GS, ASE, and QT, maybe I'm wrong.

It's just seems that during those hours more people would have been online playing.(wish I had counted how many were using the ASE and such, could have made a proper comparison, sorry)

On another note: most of the servers that do show are Clan servers or Ranking duel servers, I don't think to many new players want to hop on servers when the see a group of cronies with the same clan tag or sit in spectator mode as they watch 1 guy own an entire duel server.

*edited*-There are actually qiute a few people online using ASE right now, but honestly never see that many online, again maybe it's just me

;)

Just My thoughts,

eniaC

P.S. Thinks it's just personal observations :compcry: :guitar2

Originally posted by Master William

Sokar, do as you want, but you are really just picky, the bugs aren't that big of a deal. It seems to me you expect a perfectly fine game - which no game is.

Wow. William. Are you suffering from ADD or something? This is the second time in the same thread...

This is NOT ABOUT WHAT YOU APPEAR TO THINK IT IS. The BUG in question is costing the people who put up servers for YOU to play on lots of wasted money.

And you think that's.... PICKY?!

i dunno what youre talking about with the SP animations thing, ive never heard of anything like that happening, and you also say that youve got a kickass computer, yet it chunks up during force animations? A little voice in my head is saying that it isnt the games' fault somehow...

Ive seen many many many people complain about 'buggy' games when they screw around with their computer so much that it makes it unstable and runs games incorrectly.

As for the server thing, the browser thing is well known, but i dont even use the server browser, i use ASE, like many other people do, and people in the 'community' also knew about the problem, so they'd use a third party browser if they wanted to play online. That said, i RARELY play any games online (i think that people who play CS and JA online are a bit...sad, and you can't join a server without at least one arsehole who ruins it for everyone)

And before anyone screams 'n00b' or something like that, ive been playing jk2 since the day it came out, and JA since the day it came out, just not online..i prefer the more social 'lan' to trashtalk my opponents :)

People do come to his server when it is listed in the ingame browser. I've watched it every day in ASE.

That's cool. But why don't more of the people who come here or that use QT and ASE? I've yet to use the ingame browser even one time personally - didn't even bother with it. Most of the people who seriously played JK2, or any other Q3 based game in the last several years, are aware that there are server browser alternatives out there.

So here's a question for everybody...

Why not simply add the following text the server's welcome page...

"Please visit http://www.qtracker.com or http://www.udpsoft.com to get an alternate server browser, and see the other 300 servers you're missing!"

Then everybody sees it, whether they arrive from the ingame browser or not, and the word spreads. It's worth trying anyway, until the situation is resolved.

On another note: most of the servers that do show are Clan servers or Ranking duel servers, I don't think to many new players want to hop on servers when the see a group of cronies with the same clan tag or sit in spectator mode as they watch 1 guy own an entire duel server.

To all server admins...

Now this hits the nail on the head. Rarely do I visit servers that have some strange capital initials in funky color shemes or cryptic anagrams simply because there's a high probability that either a) the people are not going to be very friendly, b) I'll interupt somebody practicing, or c) everybody's on a team and trying to either recruit you, demean you as a noob, or own you.

And as an OT aside... I also avoid servers where the player listing has more than two or three clan members, or stupid names like "buttslime[>>USUQ<<]" and "[JOTPRNQT]^4s^5U^3xx^5O^4r^00s." When I find a server that the majority of names are either legible, classy, or have no initials around them, I'll probably join. I'm much more likely to have a good time with M'uadib and Darth Chrysalis than with ButtcrAckeRzzz and [LOL]FuQurMama.

One can only imagine what it must be like for a completely new player unfamiliar with Clans and the MP experience. It's probably why "Fairy Forest" always seems so full - though it is actually a clan server, it has a welcoming feel in the name itself. Same with "Chop Shop."

And Ranking Duel servers... sheesh. No wonder there's so many pseudo-FFA duel servers. I don't even bother with a Duel server that allows more than 8 total players at a time, simply because it's a drag. In my opinion, 6 players is the optimum setting for having fun on a duel server... yet some are set for like 16.

One other thing I tend to avoid are servers with several bots on them until someone shows up... sorry Kurgan. I'd rather show up to an empty server and wait for someone else to join, than play 3 to 5 bots. If you're concerned that it won't show up in the server list if they filter ones without players, then add only one or two which disappear when the first two players arrive.

Lord Sokar...

If you want to know the reason why I never even considered visiting your server until you posted here... it was because the name seemed to me at first glance like it belonged to a pretentious clan, which turned me off. Now I don't know you at all, and that's not a slant against you personally - it's the simple truth. I mean it is called

"<System Lords> | OC-3"

in red, yellow, and blue... looks like a clan server to me.

So try changing the name to something a little more welcoming, like simply "System Lords" with no colors, and see what happens. It couldn't hurt to try...

Akshara,

The game MOTD isn't going to help if you never see it. Raven/LEC insisting that people use third party utilities instead of fixing the problem isn't cool

The server name (and mine) are references to Stargate SG-1. I like it that way. I shouldn't have to change it.

Why do you not like clans so much? I admit some of them are idiots, but I was planning on starting a clan to do competitions when that gets sorted out (if ever). I enjoy taking on 2-3 people at a time to decide if they're good enough to join, tryout is fun (at least for me). Now doesn't look like I'm going to get the chance.

Sure there are some lame clans... look at BS. I remember in JO there was a =TW= clan that irritated the hell out of me (I assumed it meant 'Tiny Wankers').

Originally posted by Lord Sokar

Wow. William. Are you suffering from ADD or something? This is the second time in the same thread...

This is NOT ABOUT WHAT YOU APPEAR TO THINK IT IS. The BUG in question is costing the people who put up servers for YOU to play on lots of wasted money.

And you think that's.... PICKY?!

You need chill pills ASAP

Lord Sokar...

The game MOTD isn't going to help if you never see it.

That's very true, but if they only see it once then they'll know where to go. I always have a harder time writing down an IP address quickly than a http address. There's been several times I found a server that I liked, but didn't write down the IP before joining it. Fortunately QT helped me find it again later.

The server name (and mine) are references to Stargate SG-1. I like it that way. I shouldn't have to change it.

You're absolutely right. I was simply sharing a point of view that I feel gets overlooked by those who've been in the community for a long time. Most new people are turned off by clan names, or servers that appear as if they need to know something to play. And remember, it's generally the new people that are unaware of server browser alternatives. It was only a suggestion to encourage attendance.

Why do you not like clans so much?

Oh for lots of reasons... but mostly because they generally remind me of high school clicks or the local shriners clubs. But being completely honest... it would be a lot of fun to be a part of a regular team for online competition. But to find a clan that isn't a clan, and a team with a good attitude in general... well haven't found it yet. I'd rather be on a team who's main goal is to have fun and be challenged, rather than own everybody else no matter what and take themselves too seriously. That appears to be rare.

One other thing I tend to avoid are servers with several bots on them until someone shows up... sorry Kurgan. I'd rather show up to an empty server and wait for someone else to join, than play 3 to 5 bots. If you're concerned that it won't show up in the server list if they filter ones without players, then add only one or two which disappear when the first two players arrive.

See this is what I don't understand. Why would you rather sit in spectator mode or run around in an empty level than play with a few bots?

My server is setup so that bots are kicked as new players join and I usually boot them anyway when I get a few people.

Yes, people tend to avoid servers that have no players, and they also avoid servers with only bots. So in the end, 90% of people join two or three servers and those lag to death and the majority of good servers get ignored. People's behavior makes little sense...

Just think of bots as a warmup. But at least you're putting your money where your mouth is and avoiding servers rather than joining them and instantly leaving when you don't see 6 human players there.

Hell, I've even been in my server either by myself or dueling somebody and a person will join then instantly leave (even if I say hello to them, etc). What's the point of that? Are their expectations SO SKY HIGH that they can't be bothered to join unless the server is completely full?

Sigh...

yes kurgan, lets all connect to the net, join a server and play against...bots. I bet we couldnt do that without joining a server. No. Wow wee arent we daredevils.

Why I dont play against bots:

a) No match...maybe they are for some people *looks around*

b) No match

c) No match

d) Whats the point...you beat a computer...good job. I like to beat people =P

That about sums it up

Originally posted by Comm539

yes kurgan, lets all connect to the net, join a server and play against...bots. I bet we couldnt do that without joining a server. No. Wow wee arent we daredevils.

Why I dont play against bots:

a) No match...maybe they are for some people *looks around*

b) No match

c) No match

d) Whats the point...you beat a computer...good job. I like to beat people =P

That about sums it up

I don't know...that Mon Mothma bot is pretty sneaky;)

I personally have my ASE to not show empty servers, and when I run a server(duel) I put in one cultist in just so it won't show in the empties. Usually by the time I noticed one or more people have joined they leave before I can kick the bot (don't know the command for autokick, really haven't looked)

So in the end bots can be good or bad, I like to warm up with them "before" I go online but will very rarely join a MP server with bots, unless it's siege because once a human player joins a siege server it fills up pretty quick.(wish there were more of them)

But honestly I've been beat by the Cultist, Chis, Chewbacca, and Mon Mothma a few times and I wouldn't say I suck.(you can though, won't bother me).

On another note, I don't think those bots appreciate the flaming, give em a break.

:r2d2:eniaC

Originally posted by {R^S}eniaC{JC}

I personally have my ASE to not show empty servers, and when I run a server(duel) I put in one cultist in just so it won't show in the empties. Usually by the time I noticed one or more people have joined they leave before I can kick the bot (don't know the command for autokick, really haven't looked)

The command is /set bot_minplayers x where x is the minimum number of players (humans + bots) you want on your server. As humans come and go, the server will add or kick bots until the number of humans is equal to or greater than x. So if bot_minplayers is 2, if there are no humans the server will have two bots on the server. When the first human joins, the server will kick one bot to keep the total at 2 (1 human + 1 bot). When a second human joins the last bot will be kicked. If the number of humans drops below 2, the server will add bots back to keep the total at 2.

Originally posted by Amidala from Chop Shop

The command is /set bot_minplayers x where x is the minimum number of players (humans + bots) you want on your server. As humans come and go, the server will add or kick bots until the number of humans is equal to or greater than x. So if bot_minplayers is 2, if there are no humans the server will have two bots on the server. When the first human joins, the server will kick one bot to keep the total at 2 (1 human + 1 bot). When a second human joins the last bot will be kicked. If the number of humans drops below 2, the server will add bots back to keep the total at 2.

Thank you.

:r2d22:eniaC

Bravo

FK Unnamed..

"It's the same reason George Lucas could put N*sync in AotC, and the same reason if he put Carrot Top in Episode 3 "

bump bump

lol

shudder Carrot Top uggg

I played rouge Squadron 2 for my GC it rocked it was great.

Then,

I just got last week preordered and all, Rebel Strike, I mean rubble struck, i mean bad 3rd person action, i mean rouge squadron 3. And this game shows more of LAE not listening to the fans and lack of game play know how. How about this, play testing this crap... remember the obi wan for x box (Shudder) that game was going to be our Jedi knight game, aren't we lucky it got canned for PC..I was one of the poor souls who bought an xbox and played this rubbish game..

LucasArts used to put out great games (TIE Fighter X wing, Sam n Max, Full Throttle, Outlaws, JK/MotS, rouge squad 2, Grim ect), but now they just crank out poo poo, no testing or quality control.

I wonder did the prez leave cuz he prob felt ashamed to work for them with all the bad games...

I remember his speach a few years ago "i will make quality games the path to go down for lucas arts with our rich heritige of bla bla bla.."

I ve sent nice emails and get no responce from lucas arts.

Im a little sick of the attitude that "it's a bunch of star wars freaks so just ignore them..."

I won't buy any more LA games.

Oh yeah and Raven should have been able to test the games more (if LA would let them) i mean come on test test test..It would be better and you would sell more games....

(and that lame bonus disk with rouge squad 3 is lame you unlock that arcade stuff in the game so the disk is useless)

SpecialForces...

This game is awesome, so don't buy into all this negative stuff. I played JK2 from the weekend it was released, and I love JA. To me, it's much more enjoyable than JK2 in both SP and MP. Personally I don't really care about the TWL and Clan expectations or necessities. If you simply want to have a great time playing a Lightsaber Jedi game, then you can't go wrong.

My advice is to get the game, play SP, go to Kurgan's Strategic Academy website and study up, download All Seeing Eye for your server browser, and join in on MP asap - and then delete all of your bookmarks that lead to any of the JA forums... it's difficult to keep a good attitude when reading so much complaining, flaming, and all around obnoxiousness. But it's not representative of what's really happening online... most everyone is enjoying themselves.

IMHO... This game is a 9/10, and the best Raven production to date hands down.

----

ps. Besides the server browser issue and a few technical bugs, the game doesn't need fixing. It's fine the way it is.

Archived