Home

Blocking Lightning, A Patch/Mod Idea

Toxie

Originally posted by Toxie

No need to be a smartass, I never said I didn't know how to use force counters. I just think this would be something cool to see, if you don't like the idea fine, but don't make assumptions like that.

:violin:

I got flamed after my first few posts, think it's a tradition here.

Don't read to much into it, I did. The fact is these guys lighten the mood of the forum quite a bit, don't take it personal.

http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=115797

http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=115616

http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=115464

;)

____:queen____

shock1eniaCshock1:lightning

____:vamp1:____

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

oh man...well obi wan's alternate universe clone entered luke skywalkers long lost brother in Episode 4A the comic book series and got this huge sith to block all the lightening fwom teh entiwe galawxly and won teh world. You people are so pathetic. Its a game. Its not a major issue you either think its a good or bad idea, not quote some canon trash (because btw sabers should be one hit killers!!!1111oneonetwotwo)

Originally posted by Comm539

oh man...well obi wan's alternate universe clone entered luke skywalkers long lost brother in Episode 4A the comic book series and got this huge sith to block all the lightening fwom teh entiwe galawxly and won teh world. You people are so pathetic. Its a game. Its not a major issue you either think its a good or bad idea, not quote some canon trash (because btw sabers should be one hit killers!!!1111oneonetwotwo)

http://funwavs.com/wavfile.php?quote=846&sound=297

http://funwavs.com/wavfile.php?quote=850&sound=297

:compcry: :devburn::vamp1::devburn:

What some of you guys are saying about Luke and Anakin is different, just because their saber happened to be out, that doesn't mean they're automatically protected from the lightning attack. What Obi did was an actual technique he learned over the years, you guys are only bringing up the movies, in the EU there's probably a ton of Jedi he encountered with lightning. I don't think that's something reserved for special jedi only, the emperor's lightning was just alot more powerful than any other jedi's. Sure you can debate about how powerful and what exactly the force powers are capable of, but exactly how much do we really know about the lightsaber? Other the little beams coming from crystals, how much do we really know about exactly what those beams are capable as far as interacting with other force properties?

What some of you guys are saying about Luke and Anakin is different, just because their saber happened to be out, that doesn't mean they're automatically protected from the lightning attack. What Obi did was an actual technique he learned over the years, you guys are only bringing up the movies, in the EU there's probably a ton of Jedi he encountered with lightning. I don't think that's something reserved for special jedi only, the emperor's lightning was just alot more powerful than any other jedi's. Sure you can debate about how powerful and what exactly the force powers are capable of, but exactly how much do we really know about the lightsaber? Other the little beams coming from crystals, how much do we really know about exactly what those beams are capable as far as interacting with other force properties?

It seems simple to balance - just make them have lvl 3 saber defense, have the lightning attacker in their crosshair, and have it cost a small amount of force in order to block. Then not just anyone with a saber could run around blocking it, and it would actually require a little more skill on the side of the attacker to hit their target instead of spamming an area

FORCEMOD for JO did something like this I believe. Shouldn't be too hard to port.

I don't see how it could be that unbalanced anyway, when you're holding the button to block the lightning your enemy can still attack you with his saber and they still can get you from behind, it's not like it would totally stop lightning users completely.

Originally posted by Toxie

If your going to bring up the EU Luke got owned by Exar Kun's spirit with lightning and put him in a coma in the Jedi Academy trilogy by Kevin J Anderson, even after being brought near death by Palpatine, and Obi-wan just tosses his saber up to block it, oh well whatever, the fact is the SW EU is primarily based on the original trilogy's and ties in with them more than the prequels, we havn't even seen Ep.3 and I'm sure it will tie everything together better.

Besides there may tons of little Jedi running around with sabers, but I'm sure force lightning is the most powerful darkside power, or Palpatine would have used a saber.

And on the fact of Anakin not being able to block lightning, well I've heard rumors that Palpatine messes him up so bad with lightning thats how he gets the vader suit, JUST A RUMOR

I'm not trying to knock your idea Toxie, ideas are good, I just don't think it would be all that popular, when lightning wh*res are easy enough to beat already(besides prob. the majority of people playing use lightning). If you can find those to create, host, and play, More power to ya, good luck.

:)

eniaC

Yeah-yeah.. and it might have been that Obi was like focusing on the moisture in the air around him and by manipulating that air he forced the lightning to go right into his saber which he has earlier that day enhanced with sith-lightning-absorbtion-thingies..

We can speculate all we want but my opinion is that the whole idea sucks, yours as well as the guy's who wanted to put it in the movie in the first place. Bad idea. Bad bad bad. :)

Wouldn't it be easier to simply make a special animation for absorb when someone is lightining you so that it looks like it's the saber doing the absorbing?

Otherwise we'd end up severly nerfing lightning and making absorb much less useful. And all for what?

Personally I'm all for the Promod-style of "keep your aim on the enemy to block his attacks", but putting that into the game for the sake of countering only ONE attack and thus make it "just liek teh moviez"....nah. Bad idea, imho. :)

(Btw: this has got to be about the 20th thread about this topic. Obviously a lot of people thought what Obi did was cool...)

My opinions.....

1. Force lightning should be modified so that Level 3 is

like Level 2 but lower cost... (no wide spread lightning)

And... Lightning should also be more powerfull so that

when it hits it should immediately knock the enemy

down, push it away and damage it (a lot)...

2. Jedis and Siths should be able to block lightning with

lightsaber like Obi did in EP2... And it shouldn't cost any

force or health or... but to be able to do it at all players

should have pretty high saber skills (but with only saber

skills blocking should be random... some times it do block

but something it gets through...)

If you succeed to block it then the lightning should get

stuck in to your saber so you are safe... but if you don't

succeed to block it then you should get knocked down

and you shouldn't be able to block it anymore so you

are screwed...

Some force skills in either Lightning or Absorb... should

make that blocking succeed with 100% probability... (of

cource assuming that player is in defencive state and

facing the attacker...)

(Btw: this has got to be about the 20th thread about this topic. Obviously a lot of people thought what Obi did was cool...)

We didn't "think" it's cool, it was very cool. I remember when I saw that in the theatre just about everyone in there went "WHOA!" when he did that . Most of the people who bitch about that are just SW purists who want everything to be like what was in the 70's movies, no dice. It's cool though if you hate the idea in the game, but in the movie that was uber cool.

Yes it was cool. And like it was any more stupid than Obi-Wan simply "dematerializing" on Darth Vader's kill strike in Episode IV.

If you want to make a lighting block mod, turn it into a force combo...

The user must have:

Saber Defend Level 3

Force Sight Level 3

Force Pull Level 3

Force Absorb Level 3

And then to auto-activate it the saber must be pointing in the direction of the caster before the lightning strikes them, and mana regeneration stops just like with a normal force power. If you place the crosshair directly on the caster at this point, the lightning can be turned back upon him using Alt Attack, though it drains your mana pool while you do it. This makes it a cool combo power, though it takes away force allocation points from other areas, stops mana regeneration, and the user must have mana to counter-attack. Somewhat balanced, requiring advanced technique to use properly.

Originally posted by Akshara

Yes it was cool. And like it was any more stupid than Obi-Wan simply "dematerializing" on Darth Vader's kill strike in Episode IV.

If you want to make a lighting block mod, turn it into a force combo...

The user must have:

Saber Defend Level 3

Force Sight Level 3

Force Pull Level 3

Force Absorb Level 3

And then to auto-activate it the saber must be pointing in the direction of the caster before the lightning strikes them, and mana regeneration stops just like with a normal force power. If you place the crosshair directly on the caster at this point, the lightning can be turned back upon him using Alt Attack, though it drains your mana pool while you do it. This makes it a cool combo power, though it takes away force allocation points from other areas, stops mana regeneration, and the user must have mana to counter-attack. Somewhat balanced, requiring advanced technique to use properly.

Those are my force sttings except I alternate my sight with protection occasionally(but never higher than lvl 2 for either).

What is the force pull for though?(besides the kick a** blue stance, pull jab), and saber offense should be there to0(haven't met anyone dumb enough to set it below three any how, besides in melee)

I suppose this would be an interesting mod, but I think that you'll find that only light side force users would download, play or host. So you would need something to balance it out for the lightning wh*res and darkies. Maybe like making lightning more lethal like it should be or not having as many drawbacks for using dark rage or even making drain a little more effective on a single opponent. And if you really want to make it challenging put only darkside holocrons on the maps. There are more ways I'm sure you could balance this out, and I would be up for a more challenging game anytime.

P.S. Dooku would have been owned by Vapaad (7th degree of lightsaber combat that Windu created and only his padawan Depa Billaba knew, no...there...is...another...........)

eniaC

What is the force pull for though?

In this case, to "pull" the lightning toward your saber. The point is to use much needed Force Allocation points in areas most people wouldn't normally to get the power, such as Pull and Sight. For example, in your case you would have to take away 8 points from somewhere else and put them Sight level 3 to be able to block lightning.

I always set Pull max, and use it all the time to pull others within range of the saberstaff swing. It's also great for pulling fleeing opponents toward you, yanking explosives out of the hands of those demolitions guys, pulling the flag carrier behind you in a chase... and everybody expects to be pushed off a ledge, so they rarely are prepared to be pulled off one from behind. Pull is one of the most underused powers online from my experience.

And as a saberstaff user, I rarely set Saber Offense higher than 1... it's not necessary unless you encounter lots of saberlocks.

...why not use absorb. And if you want to look like anikane and odi bom from teh movies!!111 just have it look like your saber is blocking the lightening when you turn absorb on (instead of the blue field)

Exactly, there are many ways to avoid/counter lightning. What's the point in making another way? To make lightning utterly useless?

Originally posted by Akshara

And as a saberstaff user, I rarely set Saber Offense higher than 1... it's not necessary unless you encounter lots of saberlocks.

WOW D*mn, you seriuos, doesn't that take away alot though, mighty brave of you.

;)

I use single, I think saber offense has to be lvl 3 to use all stances, bummer.

Originally posted by g//plaZma

Exactly, there are many ways to avoid/counter lightning. What's the point in making another way? To make lightning utterly useless?

Deffinately, thats why you have to give the darkies something added to even this out. Like stronger lightning(g_forcerealisticlightning 2, btw, just kidding about that command, made it up).

eniaC

Obi-wan I don't think ever really used a strong stance, he was lightning fast and didn't have too. Maybe force speed should also be a requirement being that electrical current moves mighty fast.

How many OHM's and amps are we talking anyhow, 1500 volts at 30 amps, OUCH. You would think that would disinigrate any hilt or blow it up in the jedi's face. Maybe it should require a special hilt with a unique crystal.

OK now I'm just rambling sorry,

eniaC

Balance should come packaged with fun, or else no one will use lightning and therefore no fun, it'll end up being just another useless force power.

Ok... how about an enhanced Deathstrike for the Dark Side. Similar to the lightning saber block, it requires putting allocation points into several areas to attain, and then has a similar after effect as Rage does. This would be a Lightning strike on overdrive that was an insta-kill, but left the caster completely empty of health, shields, and force, except for 1 health point left.

Really, I think the game is fine the way it is too. I was just offering suggestions to the original poster in case he did decide to develop a mod for this.

Obi-wan I don't think ever really used a strong stance, he was lightning fast and didn't have too.

How many OHM's and amps are we talking anyhow, 1500 volts at 30 amps, OUCH. You would think that would disinigrate any hilt or blow it up in the jedi's face.

omg stop plz. Your too funny. I remeber Anikan's long lost brother in the third marvel comic crossover with special gold George Lucas collectors edition plates specifically stating that Darth Vader used a combination of Medium and strong swings so have consequently come to the conclusion that JEDI ACADEMY IS A GAME (AGES 12 AND UP). Stop being so sad.

Isn't it really ages 13 and up? Since the game is rated Teen?

:D

How did we ever get onto the subject of the exact voltage used by Dooku's lgihtning? I mean...It can't really be "normal" electricity anyways, because if it was, then it would be attrated to the METAL FLOOR and everyone in the hangar would be electrocuted. So the voltage isn't really relevant.

Besides, I can't imagine how you would block level 3 lightning. Level 1 or 2...maybe. But not level 3 lightning.

omg stop plz. Your too funny. I remeber Anikan's long lost brother in the third marvel comic crossover with special gold George Lucas collectors edition plates specifically stating that Darth Vader used a combination of Medium and strong swings so have consequently come to the conclusion that JEDI ACADEMY IS A GAME (AGES 12 AND UP). Stop being so sad.

IT WAS A FREAKIN JOKE!!! ..|.,

btw: my kids younger than 12 and plays if you would like to play someone more your own age.

Archived