Home

Did any versions of MI1 or 2 have voices?

BoOmStIk311

• 2 weeks later...

I think its strange that Lucasarts went back and re-did Loom with voices and put it on a CD-ROM, yet the first two Monkey Island games (their biggest franchise) went without voices. You'd think Lucasarts would revisit Monkey Island before Loom. Not that Loom is bad - I loved Loom - but it seems that they could make more money off of an MI re-issue.

I dunno, I personally wouldn't like it. I like to interpret these things for myself. When I read what's on the screen, a voice come up in my head (usually sounding somewhat like me) and plays out that line, and it's normally a pretty funny way of hearing that line. Only thing is, it may not be as funny to someone else if I were to, say, read it out to them, they may like to hear it another way which is better to them. So to me, the way I read the lines, I gain the most entertainment, whilst someone else reading the lines also gains the same amount of entertainment, but in a different way. If they were voiced, we would have the definitive view of how it should be said according to the game making people and therefore would not enjoy it as much.

Of course, that's just my opinion.

Originally posted by Subjectruin

I think its strange that Lucasarts went back and re-did Loom with voices and put it on a CD-ROM, yet the first two Monkey Island games (their biggest franchise) went without voices. You'd think Lucasarts would revisit Monkey Island before Loom. Not that Loom is bad - I loved Loom - but it seems that they could make more money off of an MI re-issue.

I don't think they really "went back." I think all the versions were released at around the same time (someone correct me if I'm wrong). I don't like the Loom voices however because they cut out a lot of dialogue.

• 3 weeks later...

Remi is mistaken, I think. I'm pretty sure it's Monkey 2 that had dialogue tests done for it... the scene where you talk to the re-incarnated Rapp Scallion, and I think part of Guybrush's encounter with Elaine up in her bedroom on Booty Island are the scenes they did test dialogue to.

Originally posted by Jake

Remi is mistaken, I think. I'm pretty sure it's Monkey 2 that had dialogue tests done for it... the scene where you talk to the re-incarnated Rapp Scallion, and I think part of Guybrush's encounter with Elaine up in her bedroom on Booty Island are the scenes they did test dialogue to.

They might have done that, but I'm fairly sure I read about test recording of voices in a CDTV article that was done before MI2 was released. Though I guess they could have been talking about an unreleased version of MI2.

If they actually did come out with a voiced version of the game, I would tear myself in half. It would, of course, change the gaming experience of both the voiced and unvoiced versions. I'm not sure if I'd play it.

Curious.

Archived