Home

Macintosh Computers

Swordmaster253

I suggest either buy a PC your self, or make a friend that use one and buy the game, because I'm thinking this game will not come out for macs at all or not until next summer. Sorry but porting games to mac is tough work, and not many people are kind enough to do that. Plus with all the content in JA, it would take a while. Sorry to burst your Mac using bubble :(

Mac OS X is a great operating system and the new G5 dual-processor is a great computer, but the worst part about using a Mac is that games for them are released months after the Windoze version, if they ever released at all. Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast was released for the Mac, but no one knows if Jedi Academy ever will be.

You can get a dedicated game system like an Xbox or get a cheap Windoze PC just to play games on.

To change your avatar, click on the little "User CP" above the Jediknight.net title bar above, then click "Edit Options". Go to the bottom to change your avatar.

I know HOW to change avatar, but how do i put my custom one in? there is no space for it.

And OSX is a great system and most graphics look better on MAC then windows.

U know thos emac commercials saying "I switched and why" those were all true.

Windows tried to make a commercial like that, but couldn't, cause there were no applicable people that liked mac more. They actually payed ppl to act as if that were true.

Funny huh?

Originally posted by JOKhyronLank

I know HOW to change avatar, but how do i put my custom one in? there is no space for it.

Don't give up so easily. Under Edit Options, click Change Avatar (who would have guessed?). Scroll down to the bottom where it says Use Custom Avatar. You can either enter a web address or upload an avatar from your computer. It must be 70 x 70 pixels.

*whispers* psst, cmon JOKhyronLank, you're living up to the Windoze-user stereotype of Mac users as helpless computer-phobes. Don't give them more ammunition!;)

I would love to see Jedi Academy on the Mac. As I have said countless times, playing the Swamp from JKII was best on my TiBook. Now I have one of the new Powerbook 15", the ATI Radeon 9600 is sweet ... and while it is true that many games are late or unavailable, my optimists view is that it has allowed me to discover many games I missed. ... of course while having Jedi Academy loaded on my Dell laptop ...

My Mac has also provided countless hours of Dark Forces replay in a manner impossible on a PC - double resolution, hi-res sound, no need for system tweaks ...

So my advice - get a nice Mac *and* a nice PC (laptops always in my case) so you can play new and old games all the time ;)

Mike

Originally posted by JOKhyronLank

Every time i click change avatar it says, "Thnks for updating your profile, JOKhyronlank!"

Yes, it says "Thanks for updating your profile.." before you have done anything, but don't get impatient. Just wait...wait....and what comes up? A screen to pick your avatar. Scroll down to the bottom to upload your custom avatar.

I usually don't say stuff like this, but I JUST HATE THE MAC, and whole Apple enterprise !

Part of this stems back to the time when I had (been stupid enough to) purchase quicktime to be able to save the AOTC trailers from SW.com :p I was having trouble and the support was just CRAP.

But there is more to it than just that petty snootiness.... there is something wrong with it all...... something untangible and evil

MTFBWYA

*goes back to putting up more intelligent posts* :cool:

My hunch is that JK3 will come to the Mac as soon as the xBox port is over, and more importantly, ALL THE BUGS are fixed, and the saber combat is overhauled.

Basically, we have to wait for the patches to be done for the PC, (face it, they rushed Academy out the door, and as it stands, it is barely worth playing in MP) and then we will get the game. That is how it worked with JK2: the shipping version was 1.04.

As for porting the game, it is really not as big a hassle as it would be for other games (like CS): the major parts of the Q3 engine are already ported (and dare I say more stable on the mac), and all that needs to be done is shift the content and the game specific files and attributes (e.g. the scripting engine, I think).

The Asset.* pk3's are identical between the two games. All that needs to be done is the engine. Keep an eye on Westlake and Aspyr's news pages.

M

What a tough job for Aspyr & MacPlay et al.

They have much more limited resources than PC game houses, so must choose carefully what to do. Then they are faced with the double edged sword of porting - if you port too late you may lose relevence and therefore sales. But if you try to port too soon you are spending more resources resources keeping up with the PC codebase, and may *still* run into problems.

Cases in point:

- Star Trek Elite Force II - was *supposed* to be a 'simul-release', or certainly by early July. It is still not out yet. And, by now, everyone knows that the SP game is mediocre, and MP is non-existent (not like people here calling 500 servers and 1700 people 'dead', I'm talking last Friday having 5 people across ~8 or 9 servers ...). So what has happened to sales - they lost me, for one. I planned Mac only, both if it was good. I got PC only.

- Baldur's Gate II: Throne of Bhaal - came out a few years ago for the PC, is now 'pre-release' on the Mac. Neverwinter nights is already out, people can play the SoU expansion on the Mac, and probably the HoU expansion the same way.

It will be interesting to see what happens with Jedi Academy ... I'd dual purchase in a second ...

Mike

Originally posted by MasterSidious

BTW, I think MACs suck, it's a good idea to *... bill gates but seriously, play the game (pun intended).

P.S. I know s***

Is it really necessary - to put out basically unintelligent, uninformed non-specific crap like that? This thread is for people interested in playing Jedi Academy. If you don't have any interest or relevent information - why post? As the saying goes, if you don't have anything nice to say ...

Mike

Archived