Home

Can hosts use the force in a no force server?

Remirol Nacnud

I was just playing on a no force, sabre only server.

Earlier in the game I saw someone with a luke skin use force drain, but I thought nothing of it.

So I'm fighting some guy with dual sabres and someone with a luke skin is standing by(sabre put away) watching.

Before I know it I'm being force choked and held over a hole in the floor, then left to fall to my death.

I've heard nothing about cheats from these forums, so didn't expect any to exist.

Is this the host, a cheat, or something else?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Normally if a server has any power disabled then it applies to ALL PLAYERS regardless of if they are the admin or vip's.

The same thing applied to JK2.

Check.. if he can use the power, so should you be able to.

If cheats are enabled, you can use them too, not just the host.

Back in the JK2 days there were some (stupid) mods created that let the host effectively use certain cheats (freezing players, killing them instantly, taking away their weapons or force, teleporting them outside the map so they were stuck, etc) they could also "empower" people, giving them stupid cheat-esque powers like being able to grip others on the other end of the map, etc.

Anyway, none of those mods have been made for JA yet, but I'm guessing (sadly) when the SDK comes out they will, simply because those people like to do stuff like that and give themselves a cheap power-trip on their servers. ; p

But for now, this thing shouldn't be happening. You're probably just mistaken.

I did a check that I couldn't use the force. I went into 'force powers' and coultn't increase any powers(there was just the basic jumping power, attack, defence etc).

^4TnG^7}{^1F^7ight^1C^7lub (62.93.201.152:27000)

it was on, btw.

It doesn't really matter, I'll just avoid that server in future. Although, as soon as I can(the server is full right now) I'll go on again to check that cheats aren't enabled, etc.

Do you REALLY want me to tell that here where everyone can

hear... (If I would I am pretty sure that all those guys who use

this kind of exploits but doesn't know about this one yet would

take full benefit of it from now on...) :eek:

Originally posted by AJL

Do you REALLY want me to tell that here where everyone can

hear... (If I would I am pretty sure that all those guys who use

this kind of exploits but doesn't know about this one yet would

take full benefit of it from now on...) :eek:

Ofcourse, don't say a thing.

But report it to Lucas arts or PM one of the mods with full details of how to do it.

Strange... Yeah he probably exploited some bug or cheat. About the admin mods, they were great against ignorant people who joined the server and refused to follow the Server Rules that me and my friends had set on the MOTD.

We kept telling him/her to stop, but he/she just went on a rampage and wouldn't stop. So we played around with her/him and finally kicked her/him.

It's not like we abuse it. I ran into that in JK2 a couple of days ago, I was accused of ''laming'' when in fact one of the admins had lamed me, so I got the blame and I was /amfreeze:d and all that. So I just called them alot of nasty bad things and disconnected before they got to answer.

No, Admin Mods were pathetic and lame, period.

There's no reason to "amslap" or "bunny" anybody, a simple warning, kick or ban is sufficient. The purpose of those moves is to keep somebody in your server but humiliate them. It's also an easy way for the admin to cheat (ditto for emotes).

It was made for egomaniacal 12 year olds to get their jollies off of "punishing" people who don't "obey their rules" or who just beat them too badly.

Convenient that you can't tell us how its done... PM me if you know how it's done and I'll report it to Raven right away. You should report it to Raven anyway, because if its in there its definately an exploit. Trying to keep it a secret won't last long, because plenty of people will just leak the info through bragging and it'll ruin more games.

Why would Raven want the Admin to cheat in Multiplayer? That's stupid. That would mean he could give his admin password to all his friends and they could all cheat! Talk about stupid...

Originally posted by Kurgan

No, Admin Mods were pathetic and lame, period.

There's no reason to "amslap" or "bunny" anybody, a simple warning, kick or ban is sufficient. The purpose of those moves is to keep somebody in your server but humiliate them. It's also an easy way for the admin to cheat (ditto for emotes).

It was made for egomaniacal 12 year olds to get their jollies off of "punishing" people who don't "obey their rules" or who just beat them too badly.

Originally posted by AJL

Yes they can... Hosts can easily get force powers which are

disabled for others in jedi academy....

I'm fairly skeptical. That's a pretty bold statement to take on pure faith. I'd like some verification on this.

Personally, what I think may be the culprit is JK2 & Academy's false reporting of "no force." Disabling ANY Force power (like lightning for example) results in the server being listed as "force disabled." Same for guns - disable something like the Merr Sonn and the server is listed as "saber only."

I wish the in-game browser was a little more detailed and user-friendly so there'd be less confusion about issues like these. Then again, I'd be happy if the darn thing worked to start with. (LucasArts, Raven... whoever is dragging your heels on fixing the browser bug, PLEASE get your act together! At the very least, make a public announcement that you acknowledge there's a PROBLEM.)

Originally posted by Wudan

AdminMod was and is the most run mod for JK2.

It's creator has already stated that he's not going to put in commands that allow admin abuse.

callbs.jpg

In all seriousness..

I'm calling the writer's bluff. So much crap was programmed into the JA admin mods that's easily trasferable. All it takes is the SDK and a little tweaking, and we got the VAM/JA users back.

So even if people don't program the abusive admin commands in, there are people *cough BOTF cough* who end up ripping and creating them anyways.

Kurgan... ''No it is lame, period.''

What's up with that? Don't be a joy eater... I have seen this at these forums alot... many people are totally against server rules like ''saber down means no attack'' which I think is better than some jedi version of UT2003. Besides, when that happens, it lags for everyone with 10 sabers in the same spot.

And now, no admin mods? Thank god there still is joyful modders!

*waits for Rads big flame post*

William the admin mod problem is something that is directly related to the general attitude, albeit it childish, of a large portion of the Jedi Knight community.

And the indisputable fact remains that the majority of people who abuse those mods just happen to be of the "saber off = peace" mentality.

Don't think for a second "admin mods" are specific to, or were born from Jedi Outcast.

Many other games like Return to Castle Wolfenstein (and the free mp expansion Enemy Territory) have had admin mods like the "shrub mod" for quite some time.

And yes these mods to have features like "slap" in them as well.

That said, the number of times I have played in RTCW/ET servers and seen admin functions abused to degrade players can be counted on a single hand.

Now look at Jedi Outcast...

The number of times I have gone into servers running these mods and NOT seen people abused and degraded by the admins can be counted on a single hand.

The general overall attitude of the "saber off = peace" crowd can be summed up in this one singe word:

MOMMY!

You know the funny thing is, if the "honor" crowd would just grow up and stop acting like sniveling, whiny little apron clinging brats, maybe people would actually respect their rules and abide by them.

But choking a guy (who may have just connected to his first server for his first online game in JK2) in mid-air with a rcon command he has no ability to get out of (can we say no different than a client side hack anyone?), and standing over his body saying things like "YOU ****ING LAMER ****Y" tends to just make people a little less than receptive to your whims.

Not to mention that is one hell of a great way to welcome players to the "community" don't you think?

:rolleyes:

LOL sorry but the last part of your post made me laugh (really)...

I can just imagine it... a guy named Padawan not knowing what the heck is going on, runs around hacking people with blue stance... *laughs alot*

Umm. Yes, you are right at some points, but I don't run around acting immature and whine. If someone decides to break the rules in my gameservers.net server and kill me, I give them a few warnings, and tell them the server rules. If they don't listen after a warning or two, that's their fault.

The only time I will use that /amslap thing is when people are REALLY out of control and are impossible to stop. Not like ''omg u took 1 hp of me when i was typing omg wtf BAN KICK SLAP!!!!11''

:)

Originally posted by FK | unnamed

But choking a guy (who may have just connected to his first server for his first online game in JK2) in mid-air with a rcon command he has no ability to get out of (can we say no different than a client side hack anyone?), and standing over his body saying things like "YOU ****ING LAMER ****Y" tends to just make people a little less than receptive to your whims.

Speaking of client-side hacks... A client-side hack to get out of that admin mod stuff would be nice... hmmm... ;)

Originally posted by Master William

LOL sorry but the last part of your post made me laugh (really)...

I can just imagine it... a guy named Padawan not knowing what the heck is going on, runs around hacking people with blue stance... *laughs alot*

Umm. Yes, you are right at some points, but I don't run around acting immature and whine. If someone decides to break the rules in my gameservers.net server and kill me, I give them a few warnings, and tell them the server rules. If they don't listen after a warning or two, that's their fault.

The only time I will use that /amslap thing is when people are REALLY out of control and are impossible to stop. Not like ''omg u took 1 hp of me when i was typing omg wtf BAN KICK SLAP!!!!11''

:)

And that I have zero problem with.

But behavior like what you just stated you do is by far the exception to the rule; it's not the way the vast majority of people who run those mods behave.

Now I will give you the benefit of the doubt and say that maybe things *are different on your side of the ocean when it comes to general behavior in public servers on the part of admins.

But over here (the states) finding an admin who does not routinely abuse those commands for the purpose of either cheating to get an upper hand or to degrade and humiliate players, is very, very rare.

Originally posted by KaiaSowapit

I'm fairly skeptical. That's a pretty bold statement to take on pure faith. I'd like some verification on this.

Personally, what I think may be the culprit is JK2 & Academy's false reporting of "no force." Disabling ANY Force power (like lightning for example) results in the server being listed as "force disabled." Same for guns - disable something like the Merr Sonn and the server is listed as "saber only."...

NoLi.jpg

Maybe this screenshot lowers your skepticism a little bit...

Just to clarify: I went back on to the server and double checked. I couldn't get any force powers other than jump, attack, defence.

On the Vjun FFA map, do you call the area at the top "The Pad" ?

Because there was a spammed message saying something like "no fighting on the pad or you'll get kicked"

I had been fighting up top(you know where I mean, a circular area with a hole in the middle) when I was choked and dropped down the hole in the middle.

Originally posted by AJL

Maybe this screenshot lowers your skepticism a little bit...

Nope, not in the slightest. Short of seeing it for myself and/or being told how to reproduce this exploit, I'm not convinced of anything. I mean no offense, but frankly your screenshot proves nothing. To illustrate, here's what I did with about two minutes in Photoshop:

shot0105.jpg

With about five more minutes worth of effort, I could have easily replaced "Force Lightning" with "Force Tickle."

That said, I'll give you the benefit of doubt that this is indeed an exploit. If so, I implore you to contact Raven/LucasArts immediately so this can be remedied in any future patches.

As for admin mods, I don't see any point to disciplinary actions other than silence, kick, and ban. To the best of my knowledge, two out of those three are native to JK2, Academy and most Quake-based games (if not all).

If there's a legitimate argument for commands such as "slap" or "sleep" I've yet to hear it, and don't even get me started on "empower." Frankly, I question the maturity level of anyone who endorses them. IMHO, anybody who relates administering a server with glee or joy has no business being an admin in the first place.

Administering a server is a responsibility best left to those with patience, restraint and an even hand.

Kurgan... ''No it is lame, period.''

What's up with that? Don't be a joy eater... I have seen this at these forums alot... many people are totally against server rules like ''saber down means no attack'' which I think is better than some jedi version of UT2003. Besides, when that happens, it lags for everyone with 10 sabers in the same spot.

And now, no admin mods? Thank god there still is joyful modders!

I have no problem with mods, it's the whole idea behind admin mods and how they're used I have a problem with.

First off, all of the commands needed to moderate a server are already present in JA/JK2. You can kick somebody, ban them, ban their entire IP range, etc.

You don't need an admin mod to do those things.

Why is it better to make a person immobile with no weapons or powers while they lay on the ground or float in the air than to simply kick them?

If I kick somebody for "breaking the rules" isn't that just as effective (and when they come back I tell them to behave) than doing something stupid like the above?

Personally I'd rather be banned from a server that didn't like me than to have my chracter's body tossed around like a ragdoll in space while the admin gloats about his "god like powers" and how I need to respect his "authoritah".

[sarcasm]Oh boy! I want a mod that lets me press a button and all the other players on the map instantly die, giving me points. That would be soooo cool. Of course I'll be the only one who can use it, muahhahaha![/sarcasm]

Seriously.

And it's SOO easy to kick/ban somebody. If somebody can't learn how to clientkick or ban somebody's IP, they don't deserve an admin mod.

And don't get me started on Emotes that give you "protection" from certain attacks. What a moronic, game unbalancing idea!

Admin mods might be okay for Role Playing servers (where fighting and getting points are not desirable goals), but for a game server (the majority, and might I add how it was 'meant to be played')? Totally unnecessary and abuse prone.

I still have to figure how some people can change their skins in Siege Maps. It' possbile and no, I'm not talking about that bug that keeps the old skin upon changing a map. I've witnessed many people using this exploit in Siege servers to pass "unoticed" behind enemy lines.

Archived