Home

Is there anybody happy with changes to DFAs?

RigoR_MortiS

DFAs..  

31 members have voted

1. 1. DFAs..

• They are useful..
    • They are screwed.. No Use.
    • Boo?

Umm...didn't DFA's require more timing in JO but without the loss of force. What's the argument here the force drainage or the skill reqiured to pull off the move or the point that they never land a hit?

I Find yellow harder to land but easier to execute in JA, and red is far for more easy to execute in JA and does less damage. I believe the added force reqiured to pull these off were a great addition to the game but I wish they had left the dif. lvl to pull it off were it was at.

And yes I find yellow DFA practically useless, thats why I keep using it, to find a use for it. : )

:r2d23: eniaC

bind Z "+forward;wait 2;+moveup;wait 2;+attack"

There, the red DFA (works well for both actually) now requires zero timing to execute, thank me later.

;)

As for the red DFA damage?

Worthless.

In duel mode it can take up to 3 head on red DFA's to kill a guy with no shields.

Considering other moves like the roll+stab can do up to 70, why bother with a 30 damage move that leaves you open longer?

Originally posted by KaiaSowapit

You do appreciate that most of the "17 other easy-to-do moves in the game" have their own limitations? Many require the attacker to remain stationary for example. Furthermore, most can easily be blocked, so long as you're not trying to attack simultaneously. Red DFA is one of the few exceptions; it can't be blocked. You don't think a move that can't be blocked shouldn't require an exceptional amount of skill???

Ehm..no.. What I meant to say was: why use the red DFA when you can do more damage using other moves that require less skill and that won't leave you open for counter attacks?

"You CAN have deadly sabers... it's just a matter of cranking up the cvar g_saberDamageScale (even Raven suggests a higher number than the default 1 for gametypes such as FFA)."

Yeah....so why isn't saberdamagescale2 the default in FFA then? Because Raven really hopes that saberdamagescale2 would be used more even though they must realize that 99% of servers will run saberdamagescale1? Confusing stupidity.

Manual blocking? Consider this scenario:

You join a server with a ping between 150 to 200. I join the same server and have a ping at or below 50. Guess what? By the time you click your "manual block" button, my saber has already decapitated you. Your best bet at survival would be to hold down your manual block key the entire time you're wandering around the map.Does that honestly sound like an improvement?

Manual blocking is fine and dandy if there's ZERO lag or packet loss between all clients. Short of LAN parties, when do you expect that to happen?

I never said I wanted manual blocking as in "press a button to block." No, I hate that idea.

What I hoped for was blocking-by-aiming, not pressing the block-button.

EDIT: I'm way too drunk to type. Sry. :(

They broke both the dfa's badly.

Now I'll admit they can kill, an can be effective at times..

But for the most part they are broke. The red dfa does about 20 damage unless used during an attack/kata (often fatal if used on a kata) while the yellow dfa is completely broke as far as im concerned. When testing damage on the attacks when ja was first released, we found it almost impossible to TRY to get hit by the attack. I'd say any damage this one does now is 75% luck. I do think the red dfa was overpowered in jk2 but then again it was easy enough to avoid an counter making it just fine to me. But it gets to the point where your performing the move leaves you more open to damage than possible damage you can do to someone makes it kinda pointless. I generally just save my force for lunges an dont use these moves at all.

You'd think it was simple.... The harder to perform/hit a move, the more damage.

Rolling stab is stupidly easy, and shouldn't really do much damage. Maybe blocking should be increased to make fights last longer and require more skill.

And there should be a hanicap for people who keep shouting "lamer" or "n00b". I just don't like them very much.

Instead of "n00b" try, "Your crap!"

Instead of "Lamer" try, "dont be a gimp u ass monkey!"

Im sure you could bind them to some key.

Yeah....so why isn't saberdamagescale2 the default in FFA then? Because Raven really hopes that saberdamagescale2 would be used more even though they must realize that 99% of servers will run saberdamagescale1? Confusing stupidity.

In my talk with Mike he didn't give a very straight answer (maybe out of his area of expertise anyway) but basically said that the damage changes are "invisible" (independent of the cvars) in Duel vs. other game modes for more damage.

Typing in saberdamagescale # overrides whatever automatic settings there are.

Apparently the "increased damage" for sabers in non-Duels may be lower then 2 (which is 2x normal saber damage).

My point was, I use saberdamagescale 2 in all game modes.. because I think it makes it more balanced, in duels and elsewhere. For non Duels I don't want to wait around dueling somebody when I'm supposed to be going for the flag or the next objective, I want to be able to get a quick kill and move on. In Duels I hate waiting forever while two people nick each other with nerf bats (it takes forever as it is with all the bowing and crap anyway).

They didn't make 2 default across the board because most people apparently wanted longer duels. But then they also had people who wanted quicker kills with them in CTF, etc. Chalk it up to a last minute fix perhaps or wrangling with LA.

In any case, as I tested it... with saberdamagescale 2 the DFA is a one hit kill move (shields or no shields), unless you just nick their arm or something. The yellow DFA is also a potential one hit kill move in the same fashion. Ditto with the Lunge. Now of the three, the Lunge is the easiest to land, but not every situation is ideal for it obviously (since you have to be fairly close to use it effectively).

The DFA's only real strength is that it moves forward and is unblockable, but once you get the damage out of the way it becomes useful again. What they obviously didn't intend was to make it so powerful and useful that it would be the only move a person would use the entire fight (for example in JK2 1.02).

The only thing about making moves "hard to do" is that people can always make scripts to bind them, so what's the point really?

The "stronger" moves are riskier, either in terms of using up mana or leaving you open to counter attack, etc. That seems to have been their design philosophy this time around. Of course people can always set forceregen time to 0 and mess up that system pretty well... ; p

As far as complaining about the saber damage, people did the same thing with 1.04. With the default settings (that "99% of servers will use" by the same logic) the sabers were MUCH weaker than in 1.02. However they just told people to use the cvar to change it to 2 and that was the fix. Apparently enough people chose to avail themselves of it that it wasn't such a problem. The vast majority of JK2 players aren't dueling, they're playing FFA or CTF. Or are they just twirling nerf bats around?

I hope not...

Archived