Home

Next jedi knight game MUST be made with unreal tecnology!

josh22

Hi everybody I would just like to state an opinion on the next jedi knight game(if they make one).I think the unreal engine has to be used for a new jedi knight game for a couple of reasons.1) I have played unreal 2003 alot and the graphics simply look awsome.I have a 800 mgz amd 384 of sdram and a radeon 9000 64 meg card and unreal 2003 runs smooth as silk on my computer even with everything at max or close!2)I also have yet to come across ANY lagg at all with unreal 2003 in any server with any amount of people.I don't know if it's my computer or not but the unreal engine seems VERY,VERY stable!The only problem that I can see about using the unreal engine in a jedi knight game would be a saber system.I know they are making a star wars game using the unreal engine but that will just be a FPS.I think having sabers incorporated into an engine as awsome as the unreal engine would make for the best looking star wars game to date!....well this is my 2 cents and all that agree or like the idea post feedback and ideas and maybe lucas arts will consider it!...lol... thanks,josh22 aka [sM] Master Zero

Well, if Raven were engaged to make another in the series, then it would almost certainly be made using Doom 3 tech. Raven seems to exclusively use Id's engines for all their games, and have a long-standing relationship with Id Software.

Lucasarts, on the other hand, as you rightly point out, are using Unreal technology for the development of Republic Commando, which seems to be more of a straightforward FPS - unless they have plans in the pipeline to introduce some kind of melee combat. I'm inclined to doubt that.

So if Lucasarts were to take the JK series back in-house, it would make sense to develop it using Unreal tech now that at least a part of their development team is familiar with it.

Having said all that...I've been playing Enemy Territory - another Q3 tech game - on some servers with up to 60 people, and there has not been much lag on some of those. Optimised net code can go a long way in smoothing out the MP experience.

although the unreal engine is great on graphics, and the rag doll is the best i have seen, making kills very injoyable, by the time they release another jk game{if they do} the engine will be a little out dated, becuase it will take them lots of time, to put together a new story, and deside what demands to go on from the fans.... i hope at least two years, to make a really supurb game such as the original jk was, take your time, work every angle right, and release later....so in two years, or even really one, unreal 2003 graphics wont be very impressive

ps: i do love unreal 2003, great game! cant wait for 2004

Unreal Engine would be nice, Rag Doll Animations are lovely, the engine is alot better than the Q3 one....

But, i'd prefer if they used the awesome engine that Half Life 2 uses, though no one has played the game yet, the things demo videos have shown are amazing....it just seems to be the perfect game engine for us wannabe jedi. :D

Just imagine being able to use your force abilites to pick up crates with the force and lob it at a thug or stormtrooper.....

The possibilites with that game engine seem to be endless, though whilst Jedi Knight 4 which i just know is going to be made....perhaps Lucasarts could get a team together to learn all about HL2s excellent engine....then after JK4s success (Damn right it will be :D) LA will have JK5 in devlopment....when that comes out......Game Of Year :D

Aahhh....well enough of my dream :p

Unreal Engine would be cool, i agree with all positive thoughts on it. ;)

And I bet you've never seen any of those movies, Razorace. Look at the traptown one; it shows it off pretty well. Force push would be SO awesome in that. :)

Just for the record, I started looking at HL2 when I saw the thread about the source of HL2 being stolen at the Swamp. I never played half-life or looked at any advertisements for hl2 it before that. I just saw those movies and decided I had better get it...

We don't know how long it will take before the next Jedi Knight game comes out. Keep in mind that it was five years before a true sequel to Jedi Knight was made. (lop off a year or two for Mysteries of the Sith, but it was a long wait either way.)

If it takes that long to make Jedi Knight 4, it could be released as late as 2008 or 2009, perhaps longer. By then I'm sure there will be a new game engine that will put even the vaunted Unreal Tournament 2003 engine and the HL 2 engine (if it's as great as people say it is) to shame. Who knows what engine they'll use in such a scenario? Maybe they'll create their own.

i don't really care which engine is used (half life 2 or doom 3 would probably be the two best choices) but they have to include the havoc system. that is a great physics engines (played max payne 2 with it). with the havoc system, maybe they can include moving non-living objects around. yeah, about the first statement, i do have a preference, half life 2 engines just because of that anti-gravity gun i saw in it, if instead of a gun it was the person's hand using the force it be perfect for grip and telekinisis (if they choose to add this force power).

and come on, fine it is hype but it is almost a 100% guarantee that the engines for half life 2 and doom 3 are going to be the best on the market as soon as they come out.

hmm just thinking a little more, i wonder how a jedi knight game would play on the max payne 2 engine, making the game completely third person lightsaber only...(yeah probably wouldn't be a good idea to make it third person only and take away the fps elements)

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but isn't the the "Unreal Tournament 2004 engine" just a new build of the same code base they've been tweaking and polishing ever since the original Unreal back in 1998(?) ?

If so, in a manner of speaking, the "Unreal Engine" is just old code recycled... not so different than re-using Q3 engine code after all.

Though I agree, it'll probably be the Doom3 engine next if Raven does it, after they get their feet wet with Quake IV, though I imagine we'll have a long wait with all the things they'll need to add, just like it took them awhile to flesh out the "Jedi" stuff in Jedi Outcast in the Q3 engine.

Of course the same would probably need to be done with Unreal tech... the most advanced melee combat game done with a build of that engine was Rune:Halls of Valhalla, a stand alone MP expansion for Rune (the combat was just slightly more advanced than the original Jedi Knight).

I find it pretty ironic that people are vouching for a game engine that they've never actually played. The hype machine lives!

Yeah... never played... yeah....

Anyway, I think Source would be an awsome choice for the engine, or maybe the Crytek engine (http://www.crytek.com/news/index.php?lang=eng&english.x=27&english.y=17) it boasts real time physics and very very expansive enviroments. Think 64 person game, on an island with a 1/2 mile radius. Man that would be cool.

Doom 3 would not be a good choice IMO, doom 3 is focusing on 1v1-1v3 encounters, any current computer just couldn't handle any more people than that due to the level of detail.

As for unreal, I haven't played it, but maybe soon :(

Originally posted by Samuel Dravis

And I bet you've never seen any of those movies, Razorace. Look at the traptown one; it shows it off pretty well. Force push would be SO awesome in that. :)

Just for the record, I started looking at HL2 when I saw the thread about the source of HL2 being stolen at the Swamp. I never played half-life or looked at any advertisements for hl2 it before that. I just saw those movies and decided I had better get it...

Movies can be easily faked or be set up under the most ideal of situations and are all the time. You can't really judge until you've played it on your home system.

Based on that, I feel that the Unreal Tech engine is the best gaming engine on the market.

But as I stated before, the engine you use is for the most part only a tool. The quality of the game is a direct result of how you use it.

Hmm...I used to play with trolls when I was little. Rhett still does. He likes to throw them onto buses with bann(ED)ers on their sides;)

Anyways, as for the topic at hand, I think too think that they'ld use the Doom 3 engine, just because raven does have a habit of staying within id. I would love to see the HL2 engine on it though. The antigrav thing would be great for grip. And I think you might be onto something with that telekenisis thing, eastcoast2895. That would be the coolest thing I've seen in the game since force destruction.

I'd just like to clear up some misconceptions about the Doom 3 engine...it actually already has a physics system built into it that id made itself. It's as good as the one Half Life 2 uses, and there is no need using it in Doom 3. Also, it's interesting to note that Doom 3, in some scenes, does not show more polygons then some scenes in Quake 3. Doom 3 puts processing power on the shadows and texture stuff which makes up for the somewhat low polygon count (higher polygon counts don't really pay off as much right now as accurate shadows and bumpmapping do). Also, Doom 3's only multiplayer limit is that everyone has to join at the same time. (And even this probably isn't a problem since other games like some strategy games do this) The 4 player limit in Doom 3 is not because of the engine, but because of the game. Doom 3 is not about 16 people jumping around blasting at each other...it's about creeping around in shadows while looking out for an opponent lurking in a shadow about to put a bullet in you. Quake IV is going to have more of a war setting, and will have vehicles and a much higher player limit.

So, I just wanted to say that Raven will most likely develop the next Jedi Knight game (although I have a feeling, a Jedi Academy expansion is coming first), and it will most likely use the Doom 3 engine and it won't be a problem. It would be best to go with a trusted developer and engine, right? Seeing as id hasn't made a bad engine in at least the past ten years, and Raven hasn't in at least the past ten years made a bad game (which have all been on id's engines), I'd say the next Jedi Knight game has the potential to be the best yet.

Originally posted by Kurgan

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but isn't the the "Unreal Tournament 2004 engine" just a new build of the same code base they've been tweaking and polishing ever since the original Unreal back in 1998(?) ?

If so, in a manner of speaking, the "Unreal Engine" is just old code recycled... not so different than re-using Q3 engine code after all.

Yep...you're absolutely right, and I was going to point that out myself. Beat me to it again... :D

Epic keeps tweaking the engine as they go along...and give newer builds to developers who license it. So until the developer has to 'lock' the engine down to a specific build to finalise a game, they can continue to apply the newest builds, and upgrade assets. Or do as developers like Ion Storm have done, and rip some of the guts out of the engine to apply their own renderers etc.

So I don't see a problem with the Unreal tech getting 'outdated' at all.

Other engine developers (like LithTech) are also constantly updating their engines to remain 'current' in the market.

If anything, things like the Doom 3 tech may become 'outdated', because AFAIK it's not modular in design, and so would probably require a similar kind of modification that Raven managed to apply to the Quake 3 tech.

I also have heard that the 4-player limit for Doom 3 is simply game-centric, rather than a limitation of the engine as I first believed. Even so...is there some concrete evidence regarding the number of players it can physically support online? If it's only 16 players, or something, that is still quite small when compared to the likes of Enemy Territory, which can support 64.

As for Expansion packs...personally I would like to see an MP-focused expansion - and focusing on the Siege mode in particular. There needs to be more professionally designed maps and scenarios for it. To be honest, the better mod-makers out there can turn out decent FFA, CTF and Duel maps. But not many seem willing to tackle Siege scenarios. Looking at Enemy Territory - I wouldn't mind seeing the same guys (Splash Damage) becoming involved in such an expansion.

Well, id software has said that the player limit is fully scalable, so I assume that means anything is possible. It sounds like moders will be able to change the player limit in Doom 3, so I guess we'll probably find out just how well Doom 3 supports large numbers of players when it comes out.

As for an expansion pack, I'd like to see something like Mysteries of the Sith, where it has a single player almost as large as the original game, but also with a ton more multi player levels.

Also, as for why not many level editors are making Siege levels, it has to do with the fact that most multi player level editors, including the ones that make the most detailed levels, aren't actually that good at making stuff beyond architecture and lighting. That's why they are making multi player levels and not single player levels. I'm thinking of making a Siege level perhaps... (it depends on how soon the scripting tools come...I can't finish my SP level until they're released, and so I'll have nothing to do until then)

Archived