Home

05.11 The Revolution begins *SPOILERS*

Zavior

Are you going to see Matrix: Revolutions?  

44 members have voted

1. 1. Are you going to see Matrix: Revolutions?

• Yes
    • No
    • No, I'm poor
    • Yoda!!!

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by ZBomber

I saw it too, HUGE SPOILER:

Neo dies, exploding and killing both him and Smith.

[/b]

lmfao. First they fight in the air, dbz style, then neo explodes to save them all. can you say, dbz? thats exactly what vegeta did^^

well I havnt seen it yet, but I heard it is disapointing.

Here's the truth of the whole thing, and the primary reason why there are so many detractors of the final two Matrix movies.

the first one was the introduction. Everyone loved it because it was both A) brand spanking new (at least to the uninitiated) and B) full of mystery and philosophy that NO ONE understood, primarily because the explanations weren't given.

Many people like to think that every movie should be full of this feel good, glib philosophy + mystery stuff where no one understand what's going on. This is probably a fact; I wouldn't watch a movie without that either. But then everyone forgot that the other two movies are supposed to be connected to the first film, rather than being viewed as separate films. Typically, even the 'professional' critics will pretend that each film is separate, and should 'stand alone'.

What I like about the other two films is that they didn't try to 'start over' and make a stand alone film. If you watch the second one or the third without the first, you'll simply assume that they are dry, unmotivated, films that are missing something. If you just simply remember that this is a continuation of a story with mysteries ALREADY ESTABLISHED, then you actually find no problem with the fact that the other two films didn't have the 'surprise' or feel goodness of the first film.

The first film was just a thriller. People liked the new moves, the prospect of a virtual imprisonment, and some computer geek that heroically saves the day. But then the story rapidly changes into a tragedy, and no one likes tragedies unless it's all condenced into a superficial two hour film like Gladiator.

The second film was total action. This is the truth. However, if it were anything else, then we'd all be complaining about how the Matrix thinks too highly of it's philosophical candy. There was just no way for the second film to avoid the 'tanking treatment' from fans. They wanted the first Matrix rehashed... they didn't get it. The third film leaves the miracle laden, super hero action of the second film and becomes even darker. Hardly anyone survives the final conflict. The fights become dirtier... particularly in the real-world fight between Neo and Smith. Consequences start happening.

The ending was perfect, though obviously left open for marketing opportunities. It's true that we don't really have a full clue as to what the future of humanity is after the peace agreement. Guess you'll have to play the massive online game coming out in 2004. I for one will not be doing that. However, there was closure on the characters. The final movie didn't 'cop-out' by releasing a crappy, Superman/X-Men -esque finale, where the good guy gets beat up, but ultimately, had the power to vanquish the darkness by himself all along. No, Matrix Revolutions pulls a full 180 and demonstrates that Neo was NEVER meant to just 'wish away' everone problems. Consequences... lives had to be paid to finish the story. And that pissed some people off.

Most of the bad reviews I read are remarkably shallow. "Neo and Trinity love story less interesting than secondary characters" (oh no, god forbid we don't get a mushy love story ala Star Wars). "Great special effects, corny story" (funny, I was able to figure out all the characterizations and storylines just fine, and felt that developing the characters anymore would have just created a Lord of the Rings clone, which ultimately would have been called a huge 'failure', and Rings fans woudl decry it as the lamest plagerism of all time). Basically everyone that said the film was bad or boring said the same two things: It didn't have the feel good martial arts action of the first one and it wasn't confusing enough, i.e. tons of ridiculous pseudo-mystery.

But oh well, everyone's entitled to their types of movies. I realize the Matrix isn't the deepest or greatest film of all time, but I find it amusing that so many people decry it, saying that movie was lacking depth, but then they complain that the movie didn't contain elements that would actual suck the depth right out of it.

Originally posted by TK-421

lmfao. First they fight in the air, dbz style, then neo explodes to save them all. can you say, dbz? thats exactly what vegeta did^^

well I havnt seen it yet, but I heard it is disapointing.

I was thinking the same exact thing, and it looks exactly like it, too. :D

Well, I haven't seen it but I've read the spoilers and may I say

I'm glad they die. Holy crap, movies, especially trilogies that go through the whole thing without having a main character die somewhere are stupid. Having someone die adds a real life effect at least, you know they're not invincible.

*reads Shaft's post*

Ya know, I never looked at it like that. Wow...and yea! SCREW MAIN CHARACTERS!! HAHAHA!! I hate it in movies when the main character pulls a win out of his ass and lives happily ever after! YEA!! I just didn't like the sunshine...coulda done without 2 minutes of staring at it, expecting something to happen...ah well! Matrix Online, here I come.

Originally posted by StormHammer

The original The Matrix was a good Special FX showcase with some nice action set pieces. It was an enjoyable enough ride while it lasted...but that's really how I viewed it: more of a roller-coaster ride where you can essentially switch off part of your brain and just delight in eye-candy.

As far as the storyline and characterisation went, it was pretty shallow. Some people say it has 'deeper meanings' etc., but I tend to disagree. Just because people dress cool, talk in riddles, and there are some Zen martial artsy overtones doesn't mean it works on some higher plane. While the basic premise is good (although a little clichéd in that Virtual Reality as a concept in stories and even other movies is nothing new), it is essentially lacking in the appropriate depth.

The sequel Matrix Reloaded, instead of applying greater depth to the premise of the first movie, is actually even more shallow, and attempts at characterisation, I felt, were a bit flat and uninteresting. The characters, in a way, seem disengaged from the action - and the action has become simply a series of disjointed set pieces with no real relevance to the underlying 'story', such as it is.

that is possibly the best summing up of the first 2 films i have ever seen. I really liked the first one, but i think that people have started to read FAR TO MUCH into a few vague sayings and some of the insanely in-depth overanalyses of the tiniest details that i have seen on the web seem completely OTT.

When i swaw the second one it dawned on me that they actually didn't have anything deep and meaningful planned, so they had just become even more vague in an attempt to disguise this.

from the reviews revolutions is getting i have a feeling a lot of fans will discover that they have WAY overthought things and there aren't any deep meanings there at all. However i hope everyone who has been waiting for it gets what they hope for...

Well, you see, that's exactly it for almost everyone who sees the Matrix! They put way too much faith in the 'deepness' of the films.

I saw the first Matrix and knew right away that the stuff they were putting in, while worth a quick thought here and there, wasn't a friggin college term paper. It was quite clear that the movie was going to be stuffed with all kinds of allogory, or hints of this culture/religion there and here and all over the place.

The problem was that people took those little tiny bits, and thought it was worth writing entire essays on. Then, when they see the conclusion of the story, which had been planned all along, they didn't see their typical "Hippee loves it when we just accept anything and everything except the stuff that hurts" pseudo-philosophy in there, the movie started to "suck". The second film could NEVER build on the characters. Please tell me how anyone thinks this was even possible. How much more do you think you could possibly get from Neo, or even Morpheus? It's quite clear that we ALREADY KNOW their personalities, and I'm shocked that so many people think the characters needed even more development.

They don't even have any real semblance of a life outside of the Matrix. There's no time for them to have hissy fits, emotional breakdowns, and like on screen. They're in the middle of the conclusion of a massive war.

The second Matrix's philosophy also wasn't even lofty. In fact, it was quite drop dead simple to understand. Here it is, broken down.

Point A: Everything has cause and effect. Nothing 'weird' ever happens, everything can, if you're logical enough, be entirely predicted, or manipulated so that it will happen. The purpose of life is to simply take advantage and be on top of all causalities. blah blah. Not that deep. In fact, there are millions of humans on this earth to this day that actually believe this in some form or another.

Point B: Prophecies gallore, divine intervention? perhaps... emotions... making choices. Neo saves people merely because he wants to. Blah blah blah. Life ain't just a math equation. Not so deep either. Millions of people believe this as well, in some form or another.

Beyond that, there's no more philosophy involved. You're either on the side that says 'mystery abound' or you're on the other side that says 'causality for life, I rule you'. I don't think it could get any simpler, nor do I feel that it was stuffed down our faces. The rest of the film, we get to see what happens when two people get mad at each other... and they've already got done talking in the first film. So they fight. If they talked anymore, i would have started laughing.

Originally posted by ET Warrior

you're all entitled to your own opinions, but I honestly couldn't be happier with this movie. There was absolutely NOTHING wrong with it at all. Fight scenes were AMAZING, the ending was ABSOLUTLEY awesome. Now maybe i'm just a crazed fan-boy, maybe I dont know what i'm talking about. But I honestly don't care, because that movie makes me happy!!!

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

I completly agree with you ET. The only thing is that it didn't make me happy cause the ending just made me sad as to what happened to you know who. But I liked the movie and think it was great. I guess we're just that small percent that liked it ;)

:duel::lsduel:

I haven't seen it yet. but when I do, I know I'll be one of that small percent that liked it. Mainly because I dont expect answers, or things to go the way *I* want. It was the same with reloaded, I didn't know what to expect, but when it turned out the way it did, I actually kinda enjoyed all the new twists, where as most people hated them for changing from the cool atmosphere of the original.

Plop!

Yoda!

Now, this movie, Revolutions, just totally blew me away. It was exactly how I thought it would be. This movie truelly brought out the philosophical side of the whole entire epic. Other than that, the movie deserves and A.

O yeah and another thing, whoever thinks this movie sucked or wasnt great and wanted to see "Under the Tuscan Sun instead" you are out of your minds and need to seek counseling right away.

Amen. People are finally coming out and seeing the light.

You either went to see Tuscan Sun, or you came to see the Matrix, a movie where the story PROGRESSES as opposed to staying in an eternal Scooby Doo mystery setting, which the first one was all about. I loved the first one, but I would not like three consecutive times. Matrix did the job the way it should have been done. No bells and whistles.

Originally posted by Sp@rta<us

Now, this movie, Revolutions, just totally blew me away. It was exactly how I thought it would be. This movie truelly brought out the philosophical side of the whole entire epic. Other than that, the movie deserves and A.

O yeah and another thing, whoever thinks this movie sucked or wasnt great and wanted to see "Under the Tuscan Sun instead" you are out of your minds and need to seek counseling right away.

well....if it is a date..dont go to revolutions..unless you want her to fall asleep ^^ I went to under the tuscan sun...she forced me to...and it wasnt that bad actually. I am gonna see Matrix Revolutions tommorow...no worries. ^_^

Oh, my god. I just saw it and cannot believe all the bitching I am hearing about it. I never even saw the original until earlier this year and loved that one. Saw reloaded in the movies and thought it was okay, rented reloaded and skipped over the stupid zion grunge pit scene and loved it. I figured it would serve as a good bridge to wrap up the third.

People are griping about revolutions not having depth, all eye candy...whatever. How could you possibly ask for any more from a matrix sequel. It was so enthralling, intense, awsome looking, and just overall magnificent.

I mean, if for nothing else, the zion defense sequenses was one of the most incredible fight scenes ever. I was on the edge of my seat and there were actually people cheering in the movie when something would go right for the defenders. If that doesn't signify a good movie, nothing does.

Or, when Niobe was piloting the ship through the tunnels to Zion with thousands of squiddies in pursuit. That was the most intense chase seen in a movie in years.

How could you want a better bad guy than Smith? Really. A bad guy that's a total badass and is so sarcastic that you can't help but laugh and hang on to every scene he's in.

Trinitie's death was a complete shock that just hits you in that perfectly sad sort of way. Out of the blue completely believable.

Neo dying was a bit more expected, but still amazing that they did it. Though, is he REALLY dead? [\spoiler]

IMO, it completely delivered with flying colors. Sufficiently wrapped things up while leaving it open for another. I can't wait to see it again

Originally posted by ZBomber

I saw it too, HUGE SPOILER:

Neo dies, exploding and killing both him and Smith.

[/b]

no neo dosnt kill smith , smith beats the crap out of neo then kills him turning him into a smith, then the machines unplug him and that kills the big boss smith (once neo) and that kills all the smiths

Originally posted by Death_Jedi

no neo dosnt kill smith , smith beats the crap out of neo then kills him turning him into a smith, then the machines unplug him and that kills the big boss smith (once neo) and that kills all the smiths

[/b]

Not quite right........

It's more of a case of since Neo and smith are the opposite of each other. Neo, the anomaly of the Matrix, and Smith the opposite that balances it out, once they become one, the Matrix is balanced. Not until this happens do the machines unplug Neo...

yeah bacnr is right about that outcome...

also, remember when morpheous kept saying when neo reached the source, that the war would be over? well couldnt you think the source as the machine city, and when neo stopped smith, the war was over, hence the prophecy being true in a way...also, the oracle leaves a bit of an open ending to neo's death, cause she says to the little girl that they will probably see him again, which i hope would happen sometime...;) also, if any of you have played "Enter the Matrix" there is a scene where the Oracle talks about the little Indian Girl who is supposed to play a very important role in the Matrix, though i dont know what...

also, if you guys think revolutions was incomplete, the wachowski brothers are thinking about making a sort of sequel to Enter the Matrix, only this time your character is Seraph and you play missions pertaining to some of the events happened before revolutions, i.e. when the Marovinigian said "Ahh, so the prodigal child returns..." Then, in mid 2004, The Matrix Online is gonna come out, and its gonna be set right after revolutions, so you get to play out what happens after. The Wachowskis are supposed to like continuously write scripts for the game for you to follow, and its also rumored that Lawrence Fishburn and Mary Alice may play as their roles in the Matrix (Morpheous and The Oracle) in the game...

I think the Matrix is just like Star Wars, and it just may continue for a very long time:)

Archived