Home

Lightsabers vs. Water

Godzilla

I've been confused about this from the day TPM came out. Pro-water: The novel Splinter of the Mind's Eye shows Luke jumping in water and using his father's old lightsaber to kill a swimming creature. The games Jedi Knight and Mysteries of the Sithalso support the pro-water theory. Con-water: A deleted scene from TPM that is shown in the official graphic novelization tells us that Obi-Wan's lightsaber burnt out because it was on when the blade touched water. TPM's game supports the con-water theory, as do the Jedi Apprentice young adult novels, and the games Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy. So there are the facts. Now I need an answer. Please tell me your opinion or if I left out any sources that feature further facts on either of the two theorys. Thanks for reading my post. -Godzilla

in the new clone wars cartoon there is. apparently, a scene

where kit fisto battles quarren underwater with his lightsaber.

and, apparently theres a scene in Ep III where obi-wan uses his lightsaber under water

but then as Jan Gaarni said, its not canon unless/ until its in a film.

True, but all the Star Wars references have to be taken into account. I think its just a blooper that was never appropriately addressed. I'm content to believe that lightsabers don't work under water. Maybe I'll write Star Wars Insider about it. Anybody else have opinions?

Pure energy + H2O = steam, hot water, ouch. In the YJK, they could use them underwater, simply because it was so fraggin cold anyway that the energy didn't matter that much. In a more temperate or smaller body of water, that energy would have a much greater impact on the overall heat of the system. That's why people turn them off underwater. It's also bad if your saber casing isn't water-tight, for the obvious reasons.

It has been referenced(on the official site, I believe) that Obi wans saber shorted when it got wet(when he fill into the water on Naboo,)and he couldnt use it until he fixed it.

He apparently studied to fix this problem and this is why he can have a smashing good fight with jango(using his new saber) in the rain in AOTC, ie water didnt short it out. I just think that they cant be used *underwater* - but who knows - THEYRE NOT REAL SO IM NOT GONNA WORRY ABOUT IT !!!

MTFBWYA

• 4 weeks later...
Originally posted by Astrotoy7

It has been referenced(on the official site, I believe) that Obi wans saber shorted when it got wet(when he fill into the water on Naboo,)and he couldnt use it until he fixed it.

He apparently studied to fix this problem and this is why he can have a smashing good fight with jango(using his new saber) in the rain in AOTC, ie water didnt short it out. I just think that they cant be used *underwater* - but who knows - THEYRE NOT REAL SO IM NOT GONNA WORRY ABOUT IT !!!

MTFBWYA

Who knows? Mayb in the VERY distant future lightsabers do exist and cant go under water. Or the government hasn't released them to the public and they know. (I hope none of you tak this as literal[howvever maybe in a few hundred years there will be])

Mastern64..I hope you are either under 13, or that English is your second language...you have a very bizarre way of expressing yourself through words.....

you're cool though, just dont try to get the mods too upset !

MTFBWYA

*sorry, off topic, but I've said my piece above*

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived